Veg patch ?

islandgun

I was wondering with spring just around the corner [for us in the north] who's planted what in different areas of the UK, I have yet to plant anything but will be buying seed potatoes tomorrow and ive fenced a lump of sandy soil for carrots, also have a poly tunnel to erect, so anyone got some pictures of this years planting ?

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Found a free greenhouse on preloved and spent the last week dismantling and re erecting the beast - it's a B&Q premier (£545) but do you think they keep spares? Do they heck. Turned the raised beds over but not ready to plant yet - looking to grow Chilies and miniature Tomatoes this year.

This. 

Homemade tomato sauce is a must. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Found a free greenhouse on preloved and spent the last week dismantling and re erecting the beast - it's a B&Q premier (£545) but do you think they keep spares? Do they heck. Turned the raised beds over but not ready to plant yet - looking to grow Chilies and miniature Tomatoes this year.

B&Q won't but just find out who sells it to them.

I've just finished my greenhouse base, eventually!! Just got to put it together now.

then its toms and bedding plants.

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

I was wondering with spring just around the corner [for us in the north] who's planted what in different areas of the UK, I have yet to plant anything but will be buying seed potatoes tomorrow and ive fenced a lump of sandy soil for carrots, also have a poly tunnel to erect, so anyone got some pictures of this years planting ?

Make sure you get carrot fly resistant carrots or get the onions going first, ours were wrecked last year.

We're picking purple sprouting, carrots, leeks and cavolo nero kale. Spring cabbage and overwintering broad beans coming along nicely and the garlic planted in October is doing well. We have toms, chilli, leeks, lettuce etc starting in the green house, early spuds are chitting and will be drilled in about a month along with carrots, parsnips and spinach.

All's well on the allotment... Now the garden... That's a different story but veg and decorating come first.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

B&Q won't but just find out who sells it to them.

I've just finished my greenhouse base, eventually!! Just got to put it together now.

then its toms and bedding plants.

Make sure you get carrot fly resistant carrots or get the onions going first, ours were wrecked last year.

Will do, not sure if we are affected much. my plot for carrots is completely open, 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

We're picking purple sprouting, carrots, leeks and cavolo nero kale. Spring cabbage and overwintering broad beans coming along nicely and the garlic planted in October is doing well. We have toms, chilli, leeks, lettuce etc starting in the green house, early spuds are chitting and will be drilled in about a month along with carrots, parsnips and spinach.

All's well on the allotment... Now the garden... That's a different story but veg and decorating come first.

Wow thats an enviable list.. love purple sprouting and spring cabbage [all of them tbh ] .. are your carrots the result of a late sowing or in a clamp.

21c,  down south about 10c here,  Plenty of time for a cold snap yet though !  think i will delay planting potatoes for a while yet as some of the ground is still pretty wet. 

Still trying to start this ole boy.. new plug on order and fuel line flushed out

s-l1600.jpg.fdf1a83a9775b4a9f637bbd572411433.jpg

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

.. are your carrots the result of a late sowing or in a clamp.

21c,  down south about 10c here,  Plenty of time for a cold snap yet though !  think i will delay planting potatoes for a while yet as some of the ground is still pretty wet.

Carrots are late sowing, mostly because all the early sowing failed. Our soil is very fine and the top 2" dries out very quickly so germination can be very patchy with carrots and made worse when it rains as the the soil easily forms a crust.

Agree about the potatoes, one thing I've learned about veg growing is that it isn't a race. I try to work with nature rather than ignore it or try to beat it.

3 hours ago, simonm said:

My wife wants to get a VegTrug (more work for me) - anyone got one? Any good? 

Did have. Ive a gravel/slab garden so didnt have any choice. Ive given up this year tho, i want to get on and buy a house now so no point setting a garden up again. 

I made mine out of 4x2 and roofing felt. In hindsight i made it too shallow and the carrots were ****. I had 4. Onions and parsnips were great, so were the beans and peas. I screwed a homemade trellis to next doors panel fence. Got everything out of skips and such, total cost about £3 for screws 

Your picture just reminded me,  We went to a Farm in Fleetwood last week, kids got to feed lambs brush ponies that kind of thing. But the best bit was the museum they had, loads of old farming equipment plus allsorts of other information on the area, ww2, old shops and how things were,  a real treasure trove with a good cafe worth a look if anyone is in that area.

11 hours ago, islandgun said:

Will do, not sure if we are affected much. my plot for carrots is completely open, 

Wow thats an enviable list.. love purple sprouting and spring cabbage [all of them tbh ] .. are your carrots the result of a late sowing or in a clamp.

Still trying to start this ole boy.. new plug on order and fuel line flushed out

s-l1600.jpg.fdf1a83a9775b4a9f637bbd572411433.jpg

That's a very handy looking tool! Do you then run a rotovator over the ground to make the seedbed?

7 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's a very handy looking tool! Do you then run a rotovator over the ground to make the seedbed?

For carrots yes, we have two types of soil here very light/sand or black,  which is a silty loam. the sandy soil has a few inches of topsoil, I use the plough to turn in any veg matter and plant the potato directly in with that.  the "tractor" is a barford atom with a villiers engine, surprisingly effective !

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Your picture just reminded me,  We went to a Farm in Fleetwood last week, kids got to feed lambs brush ponies that kind of thing. But the best bit was the museum they had, loads of old farming equipment plus allsorts of other information on the area, ww2, old shops and how things were,  a real treasure trove with a good cafe worth a look if anyone is in that area.

If your ever in the area,The Folk Museum near Belfast is fantastic ..:good: