Bead removal

nicknsd1978

Have a silver pigeon sportier with the usual white bead. Thinking of removing the bead all together or swapping it for one of the small silver round ones. I mount the gun most nights at home and can’t help but always seeing it no matter how much you try and train your eyes to look through it....it’s always there. Don’t like messing with things though so don’t know whether it’s worth it

2 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

Perrazi.....guess you have been shooting a while, I have heard a few people say this. Guess it’s easy enough to either fit a new one or put the old one back on if required

Started shooting in my early 20’s and I am now 52 so quite a few years! In my case the bead snapped and left the stub in the hole so needs a trip to a gunsmith to get sorted. But I am used to it now without a bead so probably won’t bother although it does look a bit tatty without it!!

Edited by Wingman

8 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

Have a silver pigeon sportier with the usual white bead. Thinking of removing the bead all together or swapping it for one of the small silver round ones. I mount the gun most nights at home and can’t help but always seeing it no matter how much you try and train your eyes to look through it....it’s always there. Don’t like messing with things though so don’t know whether it’s worth it

If you’re mounting the gun at home then you will see it all the time as you have nothing else to look at! 

Once you have learned to get a consistent mount you could remove it, but until then, how are you going to check correct alignment without it? 

I have two beads on most of my guns, which I use to check my mount, but when out shooting I don’t notice them as my concentration is on the bird.

9 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

As Scully says you are looking at nothing other than the bead when mounting the gun at home. Don’t make a habit of it or you will lose the psychological battle with your gun.

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No you will just find something else to concentrate upon.

Got to say I agree with this. If your mounting the gun at home you'll no doubt see the bead. I do and its a good indicator your mounting the gun correctly or not. If you out in field you'll be looking at the bird not the bead so it will no register. If your looking at the bead will taking the shot regardless if the bead is there or not you will only focus on the end of barrels. Forget the bead and just look at the target and shoot the gun the rest will fall into place.

46 minutes ago, Jbob said:

Got to say I agree with this. If your mounting the gun at home you'll no doubt see the bead. I do and its a good indicator your mounting the gun correctly or not. If you out in field you'll be looking at the bird not the bead so it will no register. If your looking at the bead will taking the shot regardless if the bead is there or not you will only focus on the end of barrels. Forget the bead and just look at the target and shoot the gun the rest will fall into place.

This! if you focus on the bead (in the field) the target will be a blurry apparition, but because you will be looking for and acquiring your target, your focus will be there (unless of course you have Superman vision!) Mounting at home and getting the bead in the right place will serve you well in the field

37 minutes ago, impala59 said:

This! if you focus on the bead (in the field) the target will be a blurry apparition, but because you will be looking for and acquiring your target, your focus will be there (unless of course you have Superman vision!) Mounting at home and getting the bead in the right place will serve you well in the field

Maybe the gun mount needs more practice. If the OP is looking at the bead and not the target when taking the shot then maybe the mount is not correct and the focus is subconsciously on the bead to ensure the gun is mounted properly. If your mount is consistent and right each time there is no need to look at the bead only the target. I am only assuming here and maybe the OP has got his mount sorted.

Take the bead off .it only serves to catch on your hide net .and distract you when you should be concentrating on your bird ..

The same cant be said for a red dot sight though .Some people will cry and disagree with me .but i find a red dot (or ring is better ) doesnt distract as it floats in the air and gives a gentle reference point for lead .

Imo .

7 hours ago, nicknsd1978 said:

Decisions decisions don’t know what to do...I think allot of it is actually psychological so if I just remove it, The problem goes away

Use the marker pen and colour the bead out and then shoot the gun for a while to assess the results. At least that costs nothing to try  ? As has been said, when you are dry mounting the gun, you WILL see the bead, as you have nothing else to focus on. Ask yourself IF you see the bead when you are actually shooting at a moving target. Just as point of interest, I am just about to clean my 30 years old Beretta auto after shooting a 100 bird sporting today. I have had to go and have a look at the gun to check what sort of bead it had, if any at all  !   😄

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Take the bead off .it only serves to catch on your hide net .and distract you when you should be concentrating on your bird ..

The same cant be said for a red dot sight though .Some people will cry and disagree with me .but i find a red dot (or ring is better ) doesnt distract as it floats in the air and gives a gentle reference point for lead .

Imo .

Is there any need to even mount the gun if you’re using a red dot? Could you not shoot it from the hip? 

If you’re looking for a red dot,  at which point do you look at the target? 

Scully you should try one mate .

Honestly you dont ever look at the red ring.

You concentrate on the bird .

The ring just helps solve any gun mount issues or eye dominance problems ..i took mine to a clay shoot last year .the guy who runs it and was loading the traps was interested in my gun , so had a go with it .

He fired at 4 clays and smashed all 4 first time .. 

Wow he says that was easy. 

My long heavy , heads up pumper didnt need to fit him he just swung the red ring infront of the clay and fired .job done. 

Ps i guess if you mounted your red dot high enough to see through it when shooting from the hip then yes you would hit your target. 

Just now, Scully said:

Is there any need to even mount the gun if you’re using a red dot? Could you not shoot it from the hip? 

If you’re looking for a red dot,  at which point do you look at the target? 

Just re read your post .its not a red dot laser .its a holographic sight 

Thanks everyone obviously mixed opinions. Think I’ll leave it on, as someone says they wouldn’t put them on in the first place if they weren’t required. I dry mount onto the ceiling line, onto to pattern of the wall paper, onto door handles, looking up the stairs at the fire alarm. I try various different things just to try and help mounting in different varied situations. I’m very comfortable with my mount so not doubting this. When thinking about when I’m shooting, if I’m honest the majority of times I couldn’t tell you where the bead was but if I think about the obvious stupid shots Iv missed (more often than not) I could probably tell you exactly where the bead was....I think that says it all

28 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Scully you should try one mate .

Honestly you dont ever look at the red ring.

You concentrate on the bird .

The ring just helps solve any gun mount issues or eye dominance problems ..i took mine to a clay shoot last year .the guy who runs it and was loading the traps was interested in my gun , so had a go with it .

He fired at 4 clays and smashed all 4 first time .. 

Wow he says that was easy. 

My long heavy , heads up pumper didnt need to fit him he just swung the red ring infront of the clay and fired .job done. 

Ps i guess if you mounted your red dot high enough to see through it when shooting from the hip then yes you would hit your target. 

Just re read your post .its not a red dot laser .its a holographic sight 

No thanks It just doesn’t appeal to me at all; it isn’t what shotgunning is about in my opinion, but each to their own.