Sun, Success and Sore Shoulders

Naeem

1st day of the winter shoot over rape. What a day we had with 5 guns, the total birds in hand 180 with at least 20 to 25 birds lost in the wood. The expectations were not high when we  planned the day as it was blue sky and hardly any wind. But we were surprised with the number of birds came our way. The guns never stayed silent for more than 10 mins across 4 fields of rape. Hopefully more such days to come and I shall keep you all posted.

This was near Northampton

🙂

270219.gif

Edited by Naeem

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

First well done on your bag, that’s a fair bit of shooting in not ideal conditions, it would be nice to know which part of the country you are in?

you say, “1st day of the winter shoot over rape” can I ask why you have not shot it before?

Thank you 🙂

This was at our usual place near Northampton. Sorry should have mentioned that in my post. 1st day as we just couldn't get time out due to work commitments.  Planing another day in a week or so. 

29 minutes ago, JDog said:

Well done and thank you for posting.

With your skills it would be good for the forum if you got more involved.

Thank you and yes will be more around 🙂

Thank you all. 

8 minutes ago, aga man said:

Well done Naeem, top bag. Quite a contrast to your post as a beginner last summer. Shows what you can achieve if you get out there and do it. An inspiration for others:good:

Yes I was new to Pigeon shooting last year but been doing shooting for sometime. Mainly Partridges and Quails in the Northern hills of Pakistan 🙂

Edited by Naeem

On 28/02/2019 at 19:19, Mightymariner said:

Fantastic....and what a great story, partridges in the hills of Pakistan to woodpigeons in the English shires.....if I was an editor or journalist from a shooting magazine I would be lining you up for an interview.

Thank you.. Partridges in those hills and Wood Pigeons here are real fun and bring different types of enjoyable challenges. We did rough shoot at the end of the season this year and that was good fun as well. Had a good bag of Wood cocks and pheasants with few hairs 🙂   

On 28/02/2019 at 18:24, motty said:

A very good result. Why did you have low expectations due to the weather conditions?

Well the game watcher said due to warm weather birds were not staying at one place and then there was hardly any wind to do the setup and usually they say blue skies are not ideal for pigeon shooting.  As I am still new (1 year experience of woodies) at this so I am learning but glad all the theories were proven wrong 🙂

On 01/03/2019 at 09:15, pigeon controller said:

Well done a good result, with five guns over four fields you kept them on the move. Thanks for posting.

Thank you

On 01/03/2019 at 08:38, Bobba said:

Similarly, North of Bristol = Sweet Fanny Adams so green with envy at opening photo.

Thank you both. I am hearing similar news from others around the country. A friend didn't get much up in wales  either

2 hours ago, Naeem said:

Thank you.. Partridges in those hills and Wood Pigeons here are real fun and bring different types of enjoyable challenges. We did rough shoot at the end of the season this year and that was good fun as well. Had a good bag of Wood cocks and pheasants with few hairs 🙂   

Well the game watcher said due to warm weather birds were not staying at one place and then there was hardly any wind to do the setup and usually they say blue skies are not ideal for pigeon shooting.  As I am still new (1 year experience of woodies) at this so I am learning but glad all the theories were proven wrong 🙂

Thank you

Fair enough. I think that far too many people think that sunny, windless days are no good for pigeon shooting. I have never found that to be the case.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Not saying you will never shoot winter pigeons on a calm, blue sky, sunny morning/day, but I have more success during the winter when its cold, cloudy and a good breeze, wonder why that is?

I have to agree with your post , we cant do anything about the weather so the people with limited time have to go whatever the conditions are like on the day , where I think if the majority of pigeon shooters had a choice I am sure they would pick a dry cloudy day with around 15 m p h winds .

Magnets are put out to create movement , on a calm day with no breeze you will get very little movement amongst the decoys , whereas on a windy you do get movement on your floaters , more so if you put them sideways to the wind , and then you can adjust the height according to wind speed .

In the Summer on a hot still day we know you can shoot pigeons during the day but the bulk of movement is when things cool off a bit during early afternoon 

Some will say they have had good bags on misty / murky days but if they had a choice of a dry breezy sort of day I would have thought they would pick the dry day .

As we are all well aware , there will always be exception to the rule , and in our sport there isn't any set rules .

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have to agree with your post , we cant do anything about the weather so the people with limited time have to go whatever the conditions are like on the day , where I think if the majority of pigeon shooters had a choice I am sure they would pick a dry cloudy day with around 15 m p h winds .

Magnets are put out to create movement , on a calm day with no breeze you will get very little movement amongst the decoys , whereas on a windy you do get movement on your floaters , more so if you put them sideways to the wind , and then you can adjust the height according to wind speed .

In the Summer on a hot still day we know you can shoot pigeons during the day but the bulk of movement is when things cool off a bit during early afternoon 

Some will say they have had good bags on misty / murky days but if they had a choice of a dry breezy sort of day I would have thought they would pick the dry day .

As we are all well aware , there will always be exception to the rule , and in our sport there isn't any set rules .

Yep, winter pigeons and summer pigeons are two different birds.