Transfer box seal

la bala

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nuts are 1/2".............take one off something else...........

It aint strictly lost Simon, I had swept the dust and carp from the workshop floor and left it in a heap below the transfer box. That will catch any oil me thinks, where did the nut fall. Yep somewhere in the middle of heap of dust, swarf and other bits and pieces. :lol:

17 minutes ago, la bala said:

It aint strictly lost Simon, I had swept the dust and carp from the workshop floor and left it in a heap below the transfer box. That will catch any oil me thinks, where did the nut fall. Yep somewhere in the middle of heap of dust, swarf and other bits and pieces. 

That's what magnets are for!:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well teknically its not "a handbrake"............its called a "tranismission brake"..........

god im boring

cover them in petrol and set fire to them ...jobs a gooden........

30 minutes ago, figgy said:

Land rover oddity having the handbrake drum on the drive shaft. 

You don't half get some rocking back and forth  with the backlash in the drive train.

Think old TK Bedfords had them in the same place, disc though if my memory is correct. There is a Disc replacement kit for Series.

1 hour ago, la bala said:

Think old TK Bedfords had them in the same place, disc though if my memory is correct. There is a Disc replacement kit for Series.

christ i could take a TK bedford tipper apart in my sleep..............such memories............used to also run the TM detroit tippers as well...........

check air breather a small hole or small hole with a split pin in top of the transfer box is clear sometimes the main gearbox seal fail and push excess oil into transfer gearbox again check breathers       all else change both seals at the same time as about half hour extra to do both seals  inc split transfer from main gearbox  and fit seal after fitting  use carb or brake cleaner from pound shop  on the handbrake shoes/ hub  then put them on a stove to bake them to remove oil residue or fit new and you are good to go       check air breather on main  and transfer gearbox  etc are clear  no more problems also check front and rear axle breathers are clear may save you doing the hub seals in the future 

8 hours ago, Saltings said:

check air breather a small hole or small hole with a split pin in top of the transfer box is clear sometimes the main gearbox seal fail and push excess oil into transfer gearbox again check breathers       all else change both seals at the same time as about half hour extra to do both seals  inc split transfer from main gearbox  and fit seal after fitting  use carb or brake cleaner from pound shop  on the handbrake shoes/ hub  then put them on a stove to bake them to remove oil residue or fit new and you are good to go       check air breather on main  and transfer gearbox  etc are clear  no more problems also check front and rear axle breathers are clear may save you doing the hub seals in the future 

Thanks Saltings,  Gearbox and Transfer box was reconditioned a couple of years back, I think a lot of the problems are they dont make seals like they used to.

Got the tailshaft flange off. The oil leak is self evident now, there is a bit of oil seal wear on the shaft.  I have found one listed for 150 quid, I may have to put up with a leak. :lol:. I have also noticed the inner felt seal fitted is the seal for the outer end of halfshafts, it being black on one side. The correct one, is listed as waxed felt seal which is all white. 

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture9.PNG

The correct waxed seal.

Capture10.PNG

clean the shaft up and it will be fine..........if it leaks the problem is not the seal on the shaft ....the bearing needs replacing.......................bearing is easy enought to do....oh and check the breather on top of the box..

i havnt a single leak on my landy.....................

and yes panoma it has oil in it..:lol: