Just Cartridges CSP 28G 9s - any good?

I'm not sure if there is a 'bad' cartridge out there to be honest; much depends on what your gun likes. We can all have bad days and it doesn't take many to start us thinking it's the cartridge and in some cases the gun...usually the chokes get it first! 

I bought Gamebore Blue Diamond last time out at 132 quid for 500, and mate went for Smart Strike at 122 for 500, or somewhere around those prices. I shot full and full with 28grm 8's and he shot 24 gym 7.5's through quarter. Although I was powdering some, I have to admit he seemed to be getting the more consistently impressive breaks overall. So was it the cartridges? The chokes? The gun? The shooter? My money would be on the latter. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Millomite said:

Just wondering about 9s and their ability to break the longer stuff

Good breaks at close to medium range but they struggle to break real edgy quartering or going away stuff at longer range, there's a reason you never see serious shooters use them exclusively, some do carry a few for close range targets believing they "open up" the pattern but there's nothing they can do that a 7.5 or 8 won't do. 

If they're cheap buy them. 

• 2 years later...
On 28/02/2019 at 19:43, washerboy said:

I like 9 shot in clay cartridges, give them ago

On 28/02/2019 at 19:52, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why?

11 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

9s are ace. mate.

I will admit to now carrying some 9s in the bag when shooting registered competitions, they come in handy for close targets or anything showing the underside of the clay.

When buying up loads of unwanted shells a while ago, a lot of Express 9s were in the mix, so I tried them and they do work through the 3/4 and full Beretta that I use, but I would not use them on rabbit or battue clays.

I always use either the Proper Cartridges 7.5s or 6.5s for the distant stuff.