FAC application for stalking advice

Hi

i would like to try stalking and put some meat in the freezer alongside the birds, now I have a dsc1 booked for September, and am happy to book some stalking but in which order is best?, do I do the dsc1 first then apply for FAC and then book stalking or do I apply for FAC first then DSC and book stalking, advice would be appreciated as I don't want to balls up an application.

mike

Dsc isn't a requirement for a fac, despite what some forces say. Dsc alone wouldn't be good reason so you will need something else before applying. Paid stalking satisfies the good reason. 

I would book and complete one, make other bookings {get receipts!} then submit the application. 

The fact you have already booked your Dsc won't hurt. 

Remember moderators count as a separate slot and must be applied for. 

What you going for? 

I'd say do the Dsc1 first then book some stalking to put the theory into practice. It's a good course and a recognised qualification that will help your FAC application. No harm in applying beforehand, you might find your FEO gives you some good advice. Mine added a moderator slot as a matter of course - I have never heard of them quibbling over mods

Virtually all paid stalkers have an estate rifle you can use either as part of the stalk or for a small extra payment. I would get a few stalks booked with an experienced guide (plenty over on stalking directory) pay your deposit and get a receipt/ put in for your FAC on that basis.

Depending on the area FAC could take a while so put in for it worst that can happen is they ask for you to do a couple of stalks first before they grant. and you have lost nothing. 

If you are a complete novice, get a couple of trips with a pro first. This will give you an idea of what it is all about and you can then decide whether to proceed. Later on, good DSC1 courses will include background discussion and anecdotes and there may be very experienced candidates. A little practical experience will allow you get a lot more out of the course.

Back in the day I was involved with winter "theory" courses for sailing qualifications. One or two folk with the ambition of buying a small boat signed up but had absolutely no practical experience at all and found it trying.  As above, a couple of afternoons in a dinghy or a small cruiser would have made it so much more rewarding.

40 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

If you are a complete novice, get a couple of trips with a pro first. This will give you an idea of what it is all about and you can then decide whether to proceed. Later on, good DSC1 courses will include background discussion and anecdotes and there may be very experienced candidates. A little practical experience will allow you get a lot more out of the course.

Back in the day I was involved with winter "theory" courses for sailing qualifications. One or two folk with the ambition of buying a small boat signed up but had absolutely no practical experience at all and found it trying.  As above, a couple of afternoons in a dinghy or a small cruiser would have made it so much more rewarding.

Yes I would agree nothing beats experience I have DSC1 and 2 but both were achieved after I had been out with a pro stalker quite a few times.

Yes, get a few paid days under your belt first off, using the 'estate' rifle, keeping a record not only of paying for the day but a diary of what success, advice etc., then put in for your FAC.

I am of the belief you will learn as much spending the money on paid days with a good guide than you will on DSC1s etc which are really just money spinners for the organisers.  How much are these courses these days, three ..four hundred pounds.  I see an advert on here for stalking at Woburn for £150 plus what you shoot and that looked a top end operation.

That decision is up to you but it isn't essential for your FAC application

21 hours ago, labstaff said:

I had a few paid days but in the end all I needed was a receipt to say I had a stalk booked and sent it in with my variation for. 243. My force (Derbyshire) don't need any more than that. 

You shouldn't even need this. There are no rules or guidance on needing any thing like this to aquire the 243. Its all dependant on the force and what rules thry make up. I was asked to take a firearm ls awareness course. Some I know asked to do dsc or dont get the calibre. 

If you're keen to get into it, id do the paid stalks anyway, for experience, and try and find some land that you could get the stalking on yourself. You will learn more in the field than in a classroom.