Traveling light

The last few years when pigeon shooting have always taken three bouncers and also full bodied crow and pigeon decoys. Fed up of carrying gear across fields was thinking this year of buying twenty flocked shell crow decoys and the same pigeon and leaving it at that. To be honest I know that bouncers provide movement but I get the feeling where I shoot oin Wales the crows don’t like them. Anybody else just travel light and use the basics. Will use the decoys then add dead birds to the pattern when I shoot them as we all know can’t beat the real thing. Do you think my bag size will decrease just by using shells 

hello, for crows i take 6 shells 3 full body, 1 bouncer, 1 wing spinner, on home made pole, the spinner goes right at the back in effect coming into land towards pattern, the bouncer i put to wind side, the pole is made from 1 of those green types 12mm OD  from home base,  a  M6 gutter bolt glued in to the pole, straighten the bolt to a right angle, file a flat under to stop spinner bolt from moving , good luck  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I passed the 70 year mark last year and have decided to try to take it a bit easier with load carrying.

I have just reduced my kit down to what I can carry rather than dragging a trolley full along behind me, so now its 3 lofters with hooks and the pole if there is a decent tree available, 2 floaters and a dozen shells with sillosock covers on them, 

I try to avoid taking the flappers or a magnet as this means carrying the battery as well, if I can get the car up to the hide I will use them then.

Once I have a few dead birds I use a pack of bar-b-que bamboo spikes , longer the better, to support the birds heads , 

I purchased a Bergara seat which will adjust to uneven ground , has the swivel seat and a reasonable back rest, it came with a canvass carry bag with shoulder strap so easy to carry.

Just 3 or 4 hide poles with 2 or 3 nets , I have about 7 nets of different colours so I try to match the net to the back ground colour.

Obviously gun and ammo, but if i start staggering about like a drunk then I know I am carrying too much, the unknown factor is the days 'bag', if you knock down half a dozen its no problem but if you bag 40 or 50 birds you will have an extra trip back to the car to carry the birds , which after 4 or 5 hours out in the cold can be quite a test but I have no intention of giving up for a while so its necessary to adapt , the other option is to find a younger shooting partner who can carry all the heavy stuff, any volunteers ?😁:good:

I use flocked shells for pigeon and paint the white parts with uv paint on wobblers like ezze wobblers work good enough to get a few close enough to shoot then put shot birds at begining of killing area so incomers see them first but only if I have to walk otherwise dead birds some times I will bulk the pattern out with a few shells if I am short on dead birds when I start putting them furthest from incomers.works for me. Not keen on shells for crows though infact here I have noticed crows avoid a pigeon set up especially a rotary turning round and going back the way they came.

14 hours ago, JDog said:

If it is a long walk I take a decent net, secateurs, folding saw and fifteen shell decoys.

You must be slightly younger than many of us who require a seat when out even for a few hours, as I take it that you stand for the duration. I have even read of some that kneel whilst in the hide. That to me is pure punishment.

OB

53 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You must be slightly younger than many of us who require a seat when out even for a few hours, as I take it that you stand for the duration. I have even read of some that kneel whilst in the hide. That to me is pure punishment.

OB

Praying for the appearance of some woodpigeons!