Rooks nest building

2 hours ago, andrewluke said:

still doesn't make sense to me

The idea is to kill the adults and the young birds, the only reason for letting them breed is the young will call the adult birds for food, you then get two bites at the cherry, once you have reduced the adults you can move onto the young birds.

If you try to shot the adults before there is any young to hold them they will just move to another wood, if you don’t believe me try it.

2 hours ago, grahamch said:

Shooting branchers is I think out sated and unneeded.

It's one aspect of shooting the general public will find objectionable and gives the antis ideal material to use against our sport. 

High time is was outlawed 

Insert other media.url 100 B · 0 downloads

I think that in general they find most of the things we do objectionable, but talk like this is fuel for the antis.

9 hours ago, andrewluke said:

i'll have to try this scenario on my ratting permission,i'll tell the farmer that there are only a few adult rats about so if i give them time to breed then i'll get bigger numbers by shooting the young rats,i think the farmer would want me to shoot the rats before they breed !

You really do have double standards, shooting before “pests” breed surely not.

10 hours ago, andrewluke said:

not really,shoot them and they don't breed!

there is a big difference shooting rats they don't breed..

shoot the adult corvids and they don't as well,  only difference is you stand more chance of getting a big bag of adults and that is when they are coming to feed the young..

As for shooting woods out i did that on one wood years ago shot every adult that i could, they have never been back in at least 10 years there has not been a nest in this particular wood where as before there would be the best part of 75+ nests..

Farmer wanted it shot hard so we did now he complains its costing him money to treat the crops for pests that the corvid used to get..

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

I do as well , must be getting sentimental in my old age , I now only shoot a few Rooks to put on sticks if I am asked to , if not asked then I no longer shoot them .

Could be sentimentality, I used to watch them a lot, even had an injured young rook pet as a kid.. mind you i wouldn't mind trying brancher and rabbit pie.. or owning a nice H&H rook rifle..😉 

12 hours ago, andrewluke said:

i'll have to try this scenario on my ratting permission,i'll tell the farmer that there are only a few adult rats about so if i give them time to breed then i'll get bigger numbers by shooting the young rats,i think the farmer would want me to shoot the rats before they breed !

Ah well. If you can't see it I can't be bothered to explain. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:11, grahamch said:

Shooting branchers is I think out sated and unneeded.

It's one aspect of shooting the general public will find objectionable and gives the antis ideal material to use against our sport. 

High time is was outlawed 

Insert other media.url 100 B · 4 downloads

I think this is a ridiculous statement!