Westmorland Red Squirrels- Annual Review 2018

Sciurus

I attach the 2018 annual review from Westmorland Red Squirrels for those who are interested. http://westmorlandredsquirrels.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/WRS-2018-Review.pdf

In our area, 4549 Grey Squirrels were culled in 2018, mainly by encouraging Landowners and Shooting Estates to actively shoot or trap greys on their land as well as by the efforts of our volunteers in order to stop the decline of Red Squirrels and encourage their population growth.

Even if there are no Red Squirrels in your area, Please do all you can to encourage all your local landowners, game keepers and shoot captains as well as yourselves to actively reduce the population of grey squirrels in your area as this can reduce the pressure on grey squirrels to move into Red areas.

Thanks

Sciurus

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

I attach the 2018 annual review from Westmorland Red Squirrels for those who are interested. http://westmorlandredsquirrels.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/WRS-2018-Review.pdf

In our area, 4549 Grey Squirrels were culled in 2018, mainly by encouraging Landowners and Shooting Estates to actively shoot or trap greys on their land as well as by the efforts of our volunteers in order to stop the decline of Red Squirrels and encourage their population growth.

Even if there are no Red Squirrels in your area, Please do all you can to encourage all your local landowners, game keepers and shoot captains as well as yourselves to actively reduce the population of grey squirrels in your area as this can reduce the pressure on grey squirrels to move into Red areas.

Thanks

Sciurus

Great news letter, lots of info.

On 01/03/2019 at 11:30, Sciurus said:

Thanks

Sciurus

great stuff !.. Your obviously meeting the general public,  I wonder how they feel about the removal of the greys ? did they perceive a problem before reading your literature. ?. this is the sort of positive publicity that is needed to counter the negativity spouted by the antis

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

great stuff !.. Your obviously meeting the general public,  I wonder how they feel about the removal of the greys ? did they perceive a problem before reading your literature. ?. this is the sort of positive publicity that is needed to counter the negativity spouted by the antis

I'm sure Sciurus will be on later, but i think it makes a big difference when there are red squirrels in the area, when the public can see them and those in the tourism industry know people will come to see them, then they can understand better the need to control the greys and keep them out of red areas, hopefully work like this will help the reds spread and keep driving out the grey squirrels.

On 03/03/2019 at 13:23, islandgun said:

Personally, I haven’t come across any negative comments from the public - far from it, it is normally  encouragement or at least understanding.

I think there are several reasons for this. The locals still remember the reds being a common sight in their gardens- until the greys came and the reds disappeared and they want to see them return.

Unbeleivably, there are 14 Red Squirrel Groups in The Lakes (check out Northern Red Squirrels website). Each group looks after their own area, Each group attends local shows (I think we attend 11 including the Westmorland Show) and spread the word to the public. The shows are a great way of educating the public and attracting new members but also meeting landowners and householders, who either allow us to trap or shoot on their land or even better take responsibility for grey control on their land - hence the impressive cull figures for our group. As you can see from our annual review, we do not hide the fact that greys have to be controlled or the large numbers culled.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the total figure culled by all the groups but will try and find out.

Even better we have a very good relationship with National Trust and Local Authorities, who willingly let us shoot/trap on their land. The only stipulation is that it is done discretely and in the case of shooting, done early morning or late evening when there are fewer members of the public about.

The National Trust, local hotels and camp sites all benefit financially from visitors coming to see reds on their property as indirectly does local authorities, so our work is actively encouraged. It is very rare that a land owner will not allow us to carry out control on their property.

Mice kindly joined me for a day having a walk round 4 sites with his gun and I think he was surprised at the response/encouragement we received from every one we met. ‘Makes a pleasant change from skulking about the bushes with a gun’ was his considered opinion.

Thanks for that, good to know that the general public are well informed and are taking it on board, I asked because i was employed as a mink trapper and like you, never had any problem,  although a mink doesn't have the [perhaps] cute image of a squirrel. Many years ago i remember shooting dreys with a 12 bore do you use this method ?  if so a nice 8 bore would be the ticket..😉 .....keep up the good work 

Island gun, thankfully Red squirrels look a lot cuter than grey squirrels.

The only complaints are when people don’t see one! -  not understanding that they are still a  wild and scarce animal .

Guns are abit of a problem for me. My patch is riddled with rights of way, which are constantly used by tourists, walkers, mountain cyclists and joggers. Then there is the close proximity to houses and hotels. There are only two Woods I can use a 12 bore. When hunting with a thermal,  I usually use a .410 moss berg hushpower with subsonic cartridges but personally  I don’t like them, I have to let a lot go without a shot in tall trees. When I finish my supply of subsonic, I will use the ordinary extra long cartridges but will still be limited to a closer range than a 12 bore.

Dreyshooting is also a problem. I can only do it in areas that I am sure there are no chances of a red using it!

I do use a silenced .177 pcp a lot in gardens, hotels and caravan sites, which I do enjoy and is very discreet.

4 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Makes a pleasant change from skulking about the bushes with a gun’ was his considered opinion.

your not wrong, the locals are well on board which is a massive help, and for me if you've got reds then you should be doing everything possible to preserve and help them, never mind what the snow flakes think, I'm not saying we should be wandering the woods with 12 bores but the greys need constantly pushing back so the reds can expand.