Interesting performance

I was out on a deer culling day  this week and shot a fallow buck fawn.  The animal came pronking directly towards me, I gave it a shout but it kept coming and at 50yrds I could see it was not going to stop until it ran over me. I put the cross hairs on that little dimple where the pipework goes in and as it landed sqeezed one off. It went down in a heap and on looking I could see the bullet had entered the base of the neck but no exit point.   On butchering it today I was about to take off the backstraps/loins when I felt a lump up against the hip bone and after making a small inciision foud the bullet, perfectly expanded. On removing the backstraps I could see it had travelled alongside the spine all the way up to where it came to rest.  The amazing thing was the backstraps where not damaged and quite useable although from the outside they looked terrible as you can see from the photos.   The bullet was a 120 grain Barnes TTSX. A tape howed the distance as 24 inches.

Just to point out this would not be my normal choice of point of impact. I am very much a traditionalist where that dimple just behind the shoulder half way up the body is my choice and when the animal is standing sideways but this was a cull day and this young buck was going in my freezer, so it was another to add to the total for the day.

The picture showing the bullet in the torso, I had just dug it out.

I have been asked about the peformance of Barnes all copper projectiles and I have used the TTSX now in a number of calibres from 375, through  8mm, 7mm and 257 and they have done the job very well.

003.JPG

004.JPG

007.JPG

Interesting post. 👍

I have yet to find a bullet in any deer I have shot as I have only shot them side on. It would be interesting to see just how far it would have come. I had a Roe buck do a similar thing until I shouted at it to stop 🙂 Not sure who was the most nervous, me or him. It's nice to think that with such a bullet there is no lead contamination in the meat. 

I have started to think about using something like 'Fox' bullets for the same reason. 

Edited by oowee

40 minutes ago, oowee said:

Interesting post. 👍

I have yet to find a bullet in any deer I have shot as I have only shot them side on. It would be interesting to see just how far it would have come. I had a doe buck do a similar thing until I shouted at it to stop 🙂 Not sure who was the most nervous, me or him. It's nice to think that with such a bullet there is no lead contamination in the meat. 

I have started to think about using something like 'Fox' bullets for the same reason. 

is that a bit like a ladyboy :whistling::)