Gun cabinet advice

Hi all, sent off for my shotgun licence a couple of weeks ago. Got my cabinet, but what's the rules about fixing? I know it needs to be bolted to a wall, but can it be bolted above the skirting board or should the base be flush to the floor? Do I have to cut some skirting board away? Thanks

I have one above the skirting board, mounted on a block of wood (made from cut down railway sleeper) so that it’s flush to the wall but no gap underneath either.  Ideally through-bolt to floor with long decking screws, but even if you just bolted to the wooden block you’d add about 20kgs to the overall weight that someone would need to carry if someone managed to get it off the wall and tried to nick off with it. 

Edited by SxS

Mine's above the skirting board with six anchor bolts into brick wall with socket set. (1930's property). I changed room / location 2 yrs ago and inspection included a 16 stone Bobby opening the door, getting a grip on either side of the cabinet, and trying to pull it off the wall. Passed with compliments. The Bobby said he's no longer surprised at the number of cabinets he pulls off the wall !!

I've always been of the opinion if you're going to start drilling holes in your wall, you might as well cut a bit of skirting off. It looks nicer IMO and is easy enough to put back if you decided to move the cabinet later.

So since having my license I've move house three times.....

First time I removed the skirting with a multi-tool so gun safe fixed flush.....second time I put a 50mmx18 mm frame butted up to the skirting so the cabinet fitted flush, third time purpose built room with no skirting so easy fixing.....All 3 were signed off by the FEO after inspection and pulling on the cabinet 👍

Ive done both mounted at floor level and above skirting. The feo signed both off with out question. The above skirting install sat on bricks and bolted the cabinet to the wall. The floor level ones were easy as there was no skirting luckily. Bit you could cut the skirting quite easily if you wanted.

11 hours ago, Bobba said:

Mine's above the skirting board with six anchor bolts into brick wall with socket set. (1930's property). I changed room / location 2 yrs ago and inspection included a 16 stone Bobby opening the door, getting a grip on either side of the cabinet, and trying to pull it off the wall. Passed with compliments. The Bobby said he's no longer surprised at the number of cabinets he pulls off the wall !!

Why would he open the door for extra leverage ? , if they manage to open the door the guns are nicked !!!! , that's not a fair test of security , if they want to test if they can pull it off the wall do it with the cabinet locked !

3 minutes ago, Blacksheep said:

Why would he open the door for extra leverage ? , if they manage to open the door the guns are nicked !!!! , that's not a fair test of security , if they want to test if they can pull it off the wall do it with the cabinet locked !

Perhaps some cabinets are more desirable than the guns held within!:whistling:

22 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

If a burglar is carrying a bottle, car , pan jack  it must be a targeted attack to get your gun which means they will get it unless disturbed no matter what

Why make it any easier for them though? If you whacked a 5ft bar between the cabinet and the wall you could get it off with a bit of welly. 

To me it just seems common sense that given what's inside that it's best to make it as difficult as possible to steal the contents. 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Perhaps some cabinets are more desirable than the guns held within!:whistling:

11 hours ago, Bobba said:

Its all rubbish anyway , cordless grinder and a pry bar and its over in seconds  and the cabinet can stay on the wall !

Mine is above the above the skirting and above a switched fuse spur so about 300mm off the floor. I built a frame and boxed in below the base, filled the screw heads and painted. The feo opend the door to check bolt heads then proceeded to step up onto the edge jumping up and down trying to rip it off the wall! He failed and was happy! 

Mine is a Bratton  Sound SL5+ And it's F heavy empty

its a right hand hinged door located in a left corner of a built in wardrobe and about 1m off he floor

resin bolted to wall in 6 places with Lightning Bolts....it's going nowhere. Not actually sure how I will move it if required, prob have to grind bolt heads off