Cockers

Lloyd90

Anyone with a cocker, do you find them highly strung or chilled? 

I have heard they can be very affectionate. 

My GF wanted to get another dog maybe next summer. 

Initially she wanted something a bit more chilled out than my springer 😂

She originally wanted a cavapoo 🙄 but yday we visited my friend who’s got a lovely sprocker. The bitch climbed up on her lap and just laid her head on my gf shoulders and cuddled in and she quite liked the thought of a sprocker.

Now I like sprockers and I know they’re all spaniels, can be great workers etc, but I like doing tests etc and would prefer to look at a cocker if an option. 

For anyone with a cocker how do you find them? 

From what I have seen the last few seasons, those that have a busy life are better behaved and calmer than those that aren’t worked or exercised enough. I regularly work my two Spingerdors with a fellow beater who has a Cocker and that little dog is fantastic. She does have an uncontrollable urge to chase ground game if there are no birds to flush. But other than that, lovely little dog, quite happy to retrieve on ground and water. Not as physically strong as either of mine but then it is quite a bit smaller. 

When we loose our old Lab we want a sprocker to compliment the 2 Springadors .  😍

Edited by The Burpster

Loyal....affectionate to the point if mine isn't close enough she will butt her head to get in closer/under your hand....chilled yea once they get to 18mths they do settle down...fun great with kids will make you laugh at least once day....will drive you mad in equal measures....but here's the thing.....

Mine will hunt like a trogan....if there is anything in the cover she will get in there no matter how thick..you have to learn to trust them they don't hunt for fun so if there is nothing there they won't hunt it....they do know best...pheasant woodcock pigeon..duck on a flight pond all no bother to them..I'm no expert trainer but mine does what I want and it wasn't hard to get there...but they don't do harsh treatment they are soft souls the more you give them the more you will get back....

5 minutes ago, millrace said:

Loyal....affectionate to the point if mine isn't close enough she will butt her head to get in closer/under your hand....chilled yea once they get to 18mths they do settle down...fun great with kids will make you laugh at least once day....will drive you mad in equal measures....but here's the thing.....

Mine will hunt like a trogan....if there is anything in the cover she will get in there no matter how thick..you have to learn to trust them they don't hunt for fun so if there is nothing there they won't hunt it....they do know best...pheasant woodcock pigeon..duck on a flight pond all no bother to them..I'm no expert trainer but mine does what I want and it wasn't hard to get there...but they don't do harsh treatment they are soft souls the more you give them the more you will get back....

My young springer is like that, wants to be sat on your lap and he will tap you with his paw if you don’t give him attention 😂

Hes also quite sensitive and takes better to soft handling and approach. 

Hes coming on well, I’m hoping she’ll prefer a cocker to a sprocker eventually although either are better than a cavapoo lol. 

13 minutes ago, millrace said:

Look it's time to man up and be a proper boyfriend......go out and buy yourself (sorry your girlfriend) a lovely cocker pup it's a win win.....lol 

You won't regret it in fact in cpl years you will think it's the best thing you ever did....

Wait until the current pup is finished next season 👍🏻 He’ll be approaching 2 yo then be a good time. 

Do you find them highly strung or chilled? 
Our cocker is 22 months now. He very chilled around the house, around the horses and very well behaved. Doesn't run off and stays close even when riding across big open fields. Yet when it comes to work he comes alive, completely different dog. Once that whistle is blown, hes in work mode and is highly strung, but thats what you want! He is intelligent, has a ace nose and that drive he has is lovely. He is head strong at times, but thats just his personality. You can't be too soft with them, they need rules but sure your be fine with that if you have your young spaniel already. 

I have heard they can be very affectionate. 
He is VERY affectionate. Perfect dog for your other half because they love cuddles and affection.  A cocker and springer would go well together. Plus you could trial a cocker if its a pedigree. Or maybe your other half will get into gundog work and want to do it herself. 

We nearly bought a sprocker or a springer, even went to view some sprockers.. but glad I went with a cocker. Hes very loyal and has his own ace personality which is great and makes working him so much fun even if he can be a challenge sometimes. I think they can be more switched on than Springers and as my old trainer said, they have their own little clever brains and every day is different with a cocker (he trials both springers and cockers) so they can be difficult with some aspects of training such as pulling on but as hes got older he has improved daily and said once they've got what they've gotta do - they've got it. 

I bet any money if you go for a cocker Lloyd your be getting another in the future. Highly recommended breed:D 

I too, have a cocker, she's 11 now and is going a bit deaf, but has been a brilliant dog.  Around the house, very chilled and great with the kids (3 under, 5) and up until a year or so ago outside was in hunt mode all the time, so could be quite hard to reign in, but that's mostly due to me.

In her youth she was a brilliant beating dog, working well with other dogs, and fearless in cover.

I've always said that I wouldn't get another one, but the fact of the matter is, I will.  They are a good size, a great dog around the house, great with kids, and my next dog I will invest the time/money into training to get the dog I want out in the field.

Cheers

Hayden

A lot will depending on the breeding.

Must admit mines is really pretty calm despite being very well bred

I see/know off more truly terrible cockers being bred from than any other breed ( yapping, barking , whinning ) and completely wild buts that's operator error.

If ur after a sprocket u should be ok buying a highly FT bred cocker, :whistling::whistling:

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

I am on my 4th and it is absolutely mental.

What were the first 3 like? Lol 

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

A lot will depending on the breeding.

Must admit mines is really pretty calm despite being very well bred

I see/know off more truly terrible cockers being bred from than any other breed ( yapping, barking , whinning ) and completely wild buts that's operator error.

If ur after a sprocket u should be ok buying a highly FT bred cocker, :whistling::whistling:

You reckon Sprockers worse than a cocker? 

The ones I’ve seen / the one my mate has are all dead calm, but no go in them at all. 

All cockers have Springer in them. If you read up on the breed they nearly died out. Blood lines were getting too close so some Springer was introduced to water it down.

You get good and bad in all breeds, my cocker is very affectionate in the house or beaters wagon wanting to be petted. Soon as he starts working he is a different dog, all work and even looks different a lot more serious and focused.

My dog has just turned seven and I will see what shooting I'm doing before I decide on if I get another dog. If I do it would probably be a cocker. 

22 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What were the first 3 like? Lol 

The ones I’ve seen / the one my mate has are all dead calm, but no go in them at all. 

First the same from some hard core trialling stock, next two more chilled but a nice blend.

Don't get me wrong she is very responsive to the whistle and controllable just at it 100% all the time in and out of the house.  1 year old and like a child 9pm to sleep like clock work.  Love it to bits, hoping age will calm it soon.

Edited by JRDS

On 13/03/2019 at 21:54, Lloyd90 said:

That would tend to against wot some big FT boys are 'allegedly' breeding.:whistling::whistling:

I know a lad that used to trial some very tidy cockers but switched to mix with springers, ( I should say pure bred springers/cockers) said he found it very hard to run against springers in AV ft and not many cocker FTs up here.

I think there meant to be judged slightly differently, but he's won a couple off FTs recently with cockers as well as a few others I know. Or mibbeeget his did we better

Springers will be faster and have more stamina purely because there bigger and longer legs.

It will all depend on the parent dogs, the 2 breeds are so closely related it's not really a true cross breed.

In the old days could u not have cockers and springers in the same litter

If a dog was over a certain size they called it a Springer and vice versa

Tell her Mrs it's a sprocker and get which ever pure spaniel u want, if A panel judges can't tell the difference ur Mrs wont.

Edited by scotslad

23 hours ago, Penelope said:

Golden cocker rage? I knew a black dog (show strain) that was evil personified!!!

It did cross my mind as it apparently used to be a ‘thing’ but like you, the only two I’ve known to be affected were black 🤔

How’s our baby getting on? 😍