Lack of birds

Sean Richo

Am a HGV driver and get around a bit on the last month I have been everywhere all over Yorkshire (North/East/South/West) also the midlands,Cambridgeshire,Leicestershire,Staffordshire,Shropshire and North Wales and Lancashire. I get a good view across the fields and watch out for pigeon all day everyday I cover thousands of miles and can’t believe that I haven’t s seen any real numbers can travel all over and see nothing. The most I have seen has been in Yorkshire heading towards Doncaster on the A1 on the rape apart from that nothing. So question is where do they all come from as nothing on fields or woods 

Travelling down the main arteries of the UK is probably not the best indicator of bird populations or movements. Yes, you will of course see pigeons feeding on fields next/close to motorways, but you will not see all the pigeons tucked away in other areas. For instance, you would not have seen the best part of 800 pigeons that I put off a rape field earlier, from any main road.

The pigeons are certainly around.

Did you see these birds in Northampton?..https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/385094-sun-success-and-sore-shoulders/

Or these..https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/385107-first-post-in-a-while/

there's a few more post like this but you get the idea.

You will not always get a good picture of birds numbers in an area when driving on mainly motorways and A roads.

To be honest a lot of roads I have been on have not just been motorways and A roads been plenty of B roads and our right into the country. I have seen the odd post but in general can drive for hours without seeing anything. But hope am wrong hopefully they are about in big flocks and hopefully split up and cover bigger areas soon

Very few in the air around here(west Leicestershire) at the moment but this week must have seen hundreds, the sky was full from horizon to horizon in south Lincs. Ten days ago two fields on the side fo the A444 by me had hundreds dropping in. I saw a couple of 4x4s parked up early one morning so they got some attention, which is probably why few about this week.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Very few in the air around here(west Leicestershire) at the moment but this week must have seen hundreds, the sky was full from horizon to horizon in south Lincs. Ten days ago two fields on the side fo the A444 by me had hundreds dropping in. I saw a couple of 4x4s parked up early one morning so they got some attention, which is probably why few about this week.

on my way to the grange for a 100 bird reg sporting newtown unthank , I have to come up the m69 I have to pass j 2 there are always plenty round there, when I go and then when I come back that way, no shooters in that area ?.

35 minutes ago, kenholland said:

on my way to the grange for a 100 bird reg sporting newtown unthank , I have to come up the m69 I have to pass j 2 there are always plenty round there, when I go and then when I come back that way, no shooters in that area ?.

Yes, a lot of birds there will come out of the City and maybe parks in Hinckley.  I'm a fair distance away from there so don't have any contacts.

lots of pigeons in the cantley area........................but they are very twitchy and wont be decoyed........in another month or so it will change and the birds will break up into two's and three's..............and we will have some reasonable outings..........

We have got more pigeons now than we did at this time last year , although the recent weather conditions have kept them in the area, whereas last year we had the beast come roaring in and moved what we had inland where the conditions were a bit more pigeon friendly .

Just because we have got good numbers don't mean we are shooting constant big bags because we are not as like most areas after a few shots the big flocks move on to another food supply , still , now the drilling is well under way and the rape have grown 4 / 5 inches in the last week I don't think it will be long now before the big flocks split up and spread themselves out to pastures new .