Dipping and weaving

dad

Turned up on the rape today must have been 2000 pigeons on it walked them off they all went the right way for a change good breeze too said to my mate we cant walk away from this the down side is there are 10 more fields of rape within a half mile circle and some have been feeding on spring bean shoots too which is un usual.usual pattern is they start coming back before we are set up see us out in the field setting up the first ones then go somewhere else and the rest follow so we rushed and just got finished in time the plan was for me to shoot my mate to go and banger off some key areas then set up on one of the other fields. He found another shooter on one field a gas gun had been put on another so he put two string bangers on two more. Then sat in his car to see what the birds would do before choosing where to set up himself. The birds that I shot at all went back to the sitty wood then came out again over me some would go to a bangered field that would go off then back to sitty wood this lasted a couple of hours befor they got wise to it and stopped coming I shot 27 for 67 shots pc would have had a 100bird day I am not good enough any more or quick enough to get left and rights the birds were coming straight at me wind off my back 5 feet high dipping and weaving not landing then flaring all directions before I got a shot off these birds have been around all winter and very jittery. My mate never set up he watched from a distance and told me when birds were coming he can see them 200yds before me (walky talkys ) great I asked him to join me but he was ok watching.at times I thought if I cant do better than this I will stick to fishing I do better game shooting they fly in a straight line. I am 73 in a couple of months and weather permiting am out six days a week I suppose I should be grateful.

13 hours ago, dad said:

Turned up on the rape today must have been 2000 pigeons on it walked them off they all went the right way for a change good breeze too said to my mate we cant walk away from this the down side is there are 10 more fields of rape within a half mile circle and some have been feeding on spring bean shoots too which is un usual.usual pattern is they start coming back before we are set up see us out in the field setting up the first ones then go somewhere else and the rest follow so we rushed and just got finished in time the plan was for me to shoot my mate to go and banger off some key areas then set up on one of the other fields. He found another shooter on one field a gas gun had been put on another so he put two string bangers on two more. Then sat in his car to see what the birds would do before choosing where to set up himself. The birds that I shot at all went back to the sitty wood then came out again over me some would go to a bangered field that would go off then back to sitty wood this lasted a couple of hours befor they got wise to it and stopped coming I shot 27 for 67 shots pc would have had a 100bird day I am not good enough any more or quick enough to get left and rights the birds were coming at me wind off my back 5 feet high dipping and weaving not landing then flaring all directions before I got a shot off these birds have been around all winter and very jittery. My mate never set up he watched from a distance and told me when birds were coming he can see them 200yds before me (walky talkys ) great I asked him to join me but he was ok watching.at times I thought if I cant do better than this I will stick to fishing I do better game shooting they fly in a straight line. I am 73 in a couple of months and weather permiting am out six days a week I suppose I should be grateful.

A very detailed and well written report , I am only a few months behind you and I now look as every day I am out either looking or shooting is a bonus and there are a lot of people out there who are a lot worse off than us and would love to be able to walk across fields in the fresh air .

Although my bags are a lot lower than they once were I still enjoy pigeon shooting as much , if not more now than I shot purely for numbers as well the sport , all my decoying is shot while sitting down and I admit there are some shots I can no longer take on but do it really matters ? , not one bit as there are still a lot I can take on .

We know that one day in the not to distant future we will have to hang up our guns , but until then I will continue not to worry about age and carry on as long as my body let me , hopefully for a few more years to come .:good:

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A very detailed and well written report , I am only a few months behind you and I now look as every day I am out either looking or shooting is a bonus and there are a lot of people out there who are a lot worse off than us and would love to be able to walk across fields in the fresh air .

Although my bags are a lot lower than they once were I still enjoy pigeon shooting as much , if not more now than I shot purely for numbers as well the sport , all my decoying is shot while sitting down and I admit there are some shots I can no longer take on but do it really matters ? , not one bit as there are still a lot I can take on .

We know that one day in the not to distant future we will have to hang up our guns , but until then I will continue not to worry about age and carry on as long as my body let me , hopefully for a few more years to come .:good:

+1 Once you pass the 70 mark its a case of enjoy what you can when you can, no one knows how long you can continue in good health, A friend of mine at 83 still gets out every week including Pheasant shoots and Wild Fowling, but his love for pigeon shooting keeps him going all year, what else should we do - sit and stare at the walls, I dont think so. :yahoo: 

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes a good report, whereabouts in Cambridgeshire were you shooting?

Arrington/croydon area lucky enough to have 5 farms all touching each other about 2000acres altogether

17 hours ago, dad said:

Turned up on the rape today must have been 2000 pigeons on it walked them off they all went the right way for a change good breeze too said to my mate we cant walk away from this the down side is there are 10 more fields of rape within a half mile circle and some have been feeding on spring bean shoots too which is un usual.usual pattern is they start coming back before we are set up see us out in the field setting up the first ones then go somewhere else and the rest follow so we rushed and just got finished in time the plan was for me to shoot my mate to go and banger off some key areas then set up on one of the other fields. He found another shooter on one field a gas gun had been put on another so he put two string bangers on two more. Then sat in his car to see what the birds would do before choosing where to set up himself. The birds that I shot at all went back to the sitty wood then came out again over me some would go to a bangered field that would go off then back to sitty wood this lasted a couple of hours befor they got wise to it and stopped coming I shot 27 for 67 shots pc would have had a 100bird day I am not good enough any more or quick enough to get left and rights the birds were coming straight at me wind off my back 5 feet high dipping and weaving not landing then flaring all directions before I got a shot off these birds have been around all winter and very jittery. My mate never set up he watched from a distance and told me when birds were coming he can see them 200yds before me (walky talkys ) great I asked him to join me but he was ok watching.at times I thought if I cant do better than this I will stick to fishing I do better game shooting they fly in a straight line. I am 73 in a couple of months and weather permiting am out six days a week I suppose I should be grateful.

Good report and I agree it is a very stressful life we septagenrians lead... really should be a special Counselling Department set up for us.  I mean, I am out tonight after foxes, tomorrow morning, tree rats, then early to bed for a very early start tuesday morning for some more stress, shooting tree rats all day and it's like this seven days a week.....probably wouldn't have time to fit in counselling anyway:unhappy:

19 hours ago, JDog said:

A fine report and contrary to your thoughts you did well with those ‘dipping and weaving’ pigeons.

Thanks for the encouragement.some of those birds overshot the runway and got so close I had to wave my arms at them to try to turn them at 5 or 6 yards.