Pheasant feeder drums from 45 gal drums

Walker570

Enquiries on here as to how I convert 45 gallon drums to pheasant feeders.  So this morning went through the actions required.

1.     45 gallon clean drums, the type with screw caps   photo 1

2.     mark up a line around the middle of the drum and with disc cutter (eye protection) cut the drum in half.  Photos 2 and 3

3.    Take the crimping tool (simple 30 mill box section as seen with slot) and place over the edge of the drum as sen in  Photo 4

4.    Turn crimping tool about 30 degrees or so which forms a kink, then reposition tool along that line and turn the other way...repeat.   Photos 5 & 6

5.    Once crimped all the way round then turn to a second barrel and mark of 5 to 6 inches all round from the top and cut this off to form the lid.  Photo 7

Final photo is lid fitted to drum.   Then all that is necesary is to make a stand for the drum to slide into and decide what type of feeder you need underneath, spring or tray.

You can obviously get two lids from a drum..top and bottom.

You can use this system for a full larger version but they are not as easily moved when required.  The dumpy ones hold two bags of feed no problem.

This one took me less than 30 minutes to make this mroning

007.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

034.jpg

Edited by Walker570

I get mine from a lubricant supplier near Coalville. They are drums which had machining fluid in them so are easily cleaned out with water. I just hose them out if they haven't already been done.  I have just spoken to the owner and he says he has plenty available at the moment. I suggest you text him on 017768 333112 as he is a very busy guy and he will then get back to you.

He is located just off the A447 at Coalville, Leicestershire about 5 miles off the A52  Junction 13   tell him you would like the ones with water soluble fluids. 

For those who didn't fuly read and look at the photos. The crimping tool is 30 mill heavy weight box section. A 6 inch piece welded at 90 degrees to the end of another piece about 18 inches long. Cut a slot in the 6 inch piece about 5 inches lengthways so that it can be slid over the tin.  Look at the photo and you can see which side to cut the slot so that the longer section becomes the handle. It takes very little pressure to kink the metal.

Edited by Walker570

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

For those who didn't fuly read and look at the photos. The crimping tool is 30 mill heavy weight box section. A 6 inch piece welded at 90 degrees to the end of another piece about 18 inches long. Cut a slot in the 6 inch piece about 5 inches lengthways so that it can be slid over the tin.  Look at the photo and you can see which side to cut the slot so that the longer section becomes the handle. It takes very little pressure to kink the metal.

Ok, I understand now. I originally thought the crimping tool was like a type of Blacksmiths tongs with two handles which squeezed together to make the crimp. I see now it is a twisting from the lever, which is why you are standing in the drum. Good idea. The drum will certainly stop them chewing through like they do the plastic barrels. 👍

Edited by Fisheruk

• 3 weeks later...