Springer vs pcp?

wildfowler.250

So I’ve got a weibrauch hw77k,(.22) and I’ve had it about 15 years now. While I was considering sending it off for a service - probably should - I always end up wondering if I would be better with a pcp? I don’t think I would ever sell the gun. But is there a substantial improvement in accuracy? I’m not too fussed about pcps being easier to reload the ect.

Another realistic question is: is there any real difference in accuracy between a hw100 at £800 and a daystate at £1500. At the end of the day it’s precision we’re after rather than anything else?

cheers!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used springers for 30+ years, but bought a HW100 about 5-6 years ago and have not looked back.

Compared to my springers it is very accurate and this can be replicated one shot after another....Still got my springers and they still come out but preference is the PCP.

Ive thought about this also i have neither , but have a squirrel permission where i use shotgun and rimfire , i suppose you could get the springer tuned which allagedly improves them  no end also depends on the speed you need to reload the springer taking longer than the pcp obviously 

Could anyone recommend a lightweight pcp , I’m about to buy a springer for pest control,

rats and the odd squirrel.

how many full power shots do you achieve from a full reservoir, would like something close

to 12lbs , 177 or 22 .

have several shotguns all 12g been also looking at a silenced.410 but they look a bit clumbsy and off balance

any advice would be appreciated 

thanks

Cheers gents so they’re sefinitely more accurate.

So what are the top dogs like daystate offering you then? Appreciate things like standard air arms might do a similar job but there must also be a reason daystate/theoben are more pricey?

A bit like comparing a beretta or a Winchester I suppose? Better built?

28 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

A bit like comparing a beretta or a Winchester I suppose? Better built?

Not really, in a sense you're paying for the name, a bit like cars, they can do the same speed, be just as comfortable and pleasant to drive, just one has a different badge on it and costs 2 or 3 times as much, and quite often the cheaper ones more reliable! 

An HW100 or an S400 is no less accurate than a daystate, and just, if not more reliable. 

As with shotguns, go and get your hands on some and see how it fits. 

I agree .more money in a pcp wont necessarily provide more accuracy or reliability. 

Just to illustrate this i recently picked up a 8 year old brocock contour sh with bit of surface rust. And marked stock .

It literally puts all its fave pellets through a 6 mm hole at 25 yds and i was plinking 25 mm stones  at 60 yds the other day .

It cost me £230 from an rfd .

Get what you pay for as with most thing in life. On here, shot count and jelousy rule! 

The AArms are all fantastic rifles, beautiful engineering, looks, light weight. Weihrauch HW 100, again, amazing engineering, stupidly accurate like the AA’s, but the advantage of a regulator, so manages the air to give a more consistency shot to shot, before in both cases, the air in the reseviour falls below an opera table window. Somewhere around 40 - 60 shots  

Daystates and the like are a different ballgame.  Difference between a Toyota and a Ferrari.  To give one extreme to another, for the sake of waffling on. Aa s410, fill to 190 bar, power curve as air is used and les available, but 50 odd shots of reliable accuracy. Top end rifles like Daystates have larger reservoirs, state of the art regulators and some with electronics. The upshot is a massive shot count with surgical consistency, shot to shot and superb stying.

Choice is up to the individual and budget. 

I guess it depends on what you will use it for and how often really. I really like springers and have had a fair few. They are accurate but not as easy to shoot accurately as a Pcp. Not do they have bolt fed rotary mags with 10 shots and not are they as quiet (exceptions few and far between). I have a bsa ultra xl (some say gamo) but it's stamped made in Birmingham and despite the below average trigger it manages sub 20mm groups out to 60 yards (rested and with jsb pellets) which means I can shoot vermin out to 40 with little issue.

I don't have to cock the barrel or fumble pellets and  the impact on target makes more noise than the shot. 

That said a well tuned 77 will be just as accurate to 40 yards but not as quiet or quick to shoot. 

If you not going to use it much and enjoy the 77 I'd say get it tuned. If you want something easier to shoot accurately have a go at a Pcp, the aa200, aa410, bsa ultras are all good. I'm sure others are better.

Edited by GingerCat

Im not sure most people buy an airgun are driven by jealousy. Or shot count for that matter .

Most people decide on what they want an airgun for and then choose the most suitable one .

If its for say climing around inside dirty barns in the dark after rats .then i couldnt think of a less suitable gun then a £1500 long ,heavy , 500 shot daystate pcp..

Id go with a short light realtivley cheap bsa or air arms .far more suitable .

Other shooting diciplines are available  .

The above is only 1 example .but highlights how expensive and long and heavy and millions of shots isnt best