Springer vs pcp?

wildfowler.250

1 hour ago, mk70 said:

Thanks for your replies

think I will take a closer look at a bsa or air arms

any scope recommendations for low light situations

thanks

Walker has an AA410 for sale in the sale adds, looks very nice, but can't think what calibre it is.

Scopes!! Like everything else what's your budget? Illuminated recticle are very good for low light, i bought an old simmons scope a bit ago 3.5x10x50 just because they were always written about for being great in low light.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring powered air rifle will do everything you require it to . pcp's will do the same but just much easier.

There are also new pre charged rifles appearing all the time.  A friend has just bought a Krall NP02 . Now I can hear the nay sayer's  already!

And to be honest I was ready to be 'scathing' before I saw it and shot it.  But , it really is quite good , and, comes with, 2 ten shot mags , side lever cocking,

adjustable power .adjustable but pad . 200 plus shots from a fill ,  In a hard case for under £320.    Now that's value.

Some of the guns mentioned , have been around for donkeys years. And are very good, quality and accurate . But, have a good look around before you spend your cash.

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Walker has an AA410 for sale in the sale adds, looks very nice, but can't think what calibre it is.

Scopes!! Like everything else what's your budget? Illuminated recticle are very good for low light, i bought an old simmons scope a bit ago 3.5x10x50 just because they were always written about for being great in low light.

Walker has a scope with an illuminated rectum...excellent in low light

1 minute ago, Longbower said:

Spring powered air rifle will do everything you require it to . pcp's will do the same but just much easier.

There are also new pre charged rifles appearing all the time.  A friend has just bought a Krall NP02 . Now I can hear the nay sayer's  already!

And to be honest I was ready to be 'scathing' before I saw it and shot it.  But , it really is quite good , and, comes with, 2 ten shot mags , side lever cocking,

adjustable power .adjustable but pad . 200 plus shots from a fill ,  In a hard case for under £320.    Now that's value.

Some of the guns mentioned , have been around for donkeys years. And are very good, quality and accurate . But, have a good look around before you spend your cash.

hello, can you let me know how the NP 02 goes, ? i do not shoot much with air rifle these days so was going to sell my PCP and get some cash and a NP02 if they are serviceable 

Just now, Mice! said:

You been at the red wine again??

christ no...........god i felt rough this morning....................im just pulling walkers chain..:lol:

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

An illuminated Rectum? Now that's going to light up the whole of your body.

depends how far you bend down...

Cheers! Certainly answered a lot of questions.

what I’m really afternis something for rabbits and pigeons occasionally. Plus the branches in May. I’ve a .22lr and a .17 but tbh the .22 I pretty much use for sitting off warrens so nothing I can’t do with an airgun and the HMR comes out a lot more. Plus I obviously can’t use a .22lr up in the trees ect so that limits it.

how do people feel about these hand pumps rather than 02 cylinders to refill the gun? Sourcing and refilling the cylinders was what initially put me off to be honest. 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

how do people feel about these hand pumps rather than 02 cylinders to refill the gun? Sourcing and refilling the cylinders was what initially put me off to be honest. 

How old/fit are you ?

A pump gets pretty hard towards that 200 bar fill , and unless you fancy a bit of a work out, (Ive heard Ultrastu is built like a Greek god ) Id be inclined to acquire a bottle, a 12 litre bottle at 230 bar will last a long time for casual shooting.
An example, 12 litre bottle , and Daystate mk 3 , I shot every sunday at  FT , around 80 to 100 shots for 18 months on one fill, yes it had dropped to about 160 bar at the end, but was quite serviceable.
It wouldnt be so bad if a decent pump was cheap ! But each to their own.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

How old/fit are you ?

A pump gets pretty hard towards that 200 bar fill , and unless you fancy a bit of a work out, (Ive heard Ultrastu is built like a Greek god ) Id be inclined to acquire a bottle, a 12 litre bottle at 230 bar will last a long time for casual shooting.
An example, 12 litre bottle , and Daystate mk 3 , I shot every sunday at  FT , around 80 to 100 shots for 18 months on one fill, yes it had dropped to about 160 bar at the end, but was quite serviceable.

from what I've read the trick is to top up little and often, but looking at your figures above it makes a bottle look pretty good.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

How old/fit are you ?

hello, on the airgun forum many are buying a PCP pump for £40 and all seem happy with it, theres been no mention of any faults yet, comes with a spare set of seals, 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

from what I've read the trick is to top up little and often, but looking at your figures above it makes a bottle look pretty good.

hello, little and often with a bottle you do loose a percentage of air every time on release valve, mine is only pumped back up when guage is a 50 to the top of green eg 200 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, on the airgun forum many are buying a PCP pump for £40 and all seem happy with it, theres been no mention of any faults yet, comes with a spare set of seals, 

hello, little and often with a bottle you do loose a percentage of air every time on release valve, mine is only pumped back up when guage is a 50 to the top of green eg 200 

I meant with the pump, so your just topping up, not going through the whole effort.

Easy to get hold off, can be tricky to get retested. I had a 3ltr, it went out of test, it would of cost more in the retest and fuel to get there than buy a new one/secondhand with test in date. I took the whip off and lobbed it. Bought a pump of ebay for £40 as oldy above says. Think a 12ltr one will set you back about £200.

Oh yea ive had more skillful and memorable shots using my supersport and express than any pcp. Especially against a s410, cant fault it, fantastic gun, super accuracy, but always felt like you were cheating. Its amazing how much more thought and fieldcraft you put into it knowing that you havent a 10 shot mag to back you up. 

Edited by strimmer_13

3 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

are the 02 cylinders easy to come by / refill? 

probably depends where you live, lots of places have dive centres nearby these days, there was a recent thread where someone had his retested while he had a coffee.

I should add I've had a rapid for twenty odd years and I've yet to fill it myself, gun shops, dive places etc

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

I meant with the pump, so your just topping up, not going through the whole effort.

hello, that is what i did when i had my first PCP, would be to much effort now for an oldy ha ha 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

probably depends where you live, lots of places have dive centres nearby these days, there was a recent thread where someone had his retested while he had a coffee.

I should add I've had a rapid for twenty odd years and I've yet to fill it myself, gun shops, dive places etc

hello, check out your local dive centre shops they might have a second hand 300 bar cylinder, anything above 3 ltr save you keep having to fill up,

Both types can be as accurate as each other, it depends on the skill of the shooter. As for choice, it is very much a personal choice. PCPs's offer no 'recoil reaction' to the shooter whilst a springer does. I own all types and shoot them all and enjoy the challenges they individually give.

Go with your heart and shoot whichever type you enjoy most. When you buy do not buy from the advice of others and their preferences. Go to a decent RFD or gun shop and shoulder as many as you can until you find one that 'fits like a glove'. Only then test it on their range if they have one. I have seen far too many bought only to be returned because it not do what the shooter expected. That went for one silly sod who bought a top of the range Steyer only to return it 2 days later as unsuitable and lost half its cost on an exchange!

Think first of what your needs are, casual target, HFT, FT, garden plinking, pest control or just for 10m competition. Lots to consider so be wise.

Best of luck.

Ive been into airguns since i was 14 years old  and have seen many new brands come and go both spring amd pcp .and while they often look good and offer a lot for the money and can be excellent guns in their own right .they usually have one big flaw.and that is customer support /back up and spares .

Take kral for instance. Currently flooding the market with cheapish but good value guns .there is a new model to catch your eye and wallet every 4 - 6 months. So you buy a new np02  .and  it works you like it .next year you find the oring from the pellet probe has snapped (happens to all guns .bit like changing the wipers on your car).

You go to your shop cam i get a new oring please for my kral .

"Sorry we cant get those " but we can sell you a new gun and model if you like " 

The gun and parts are obsolete in a couple of years at best. 

OR  you buy from a manufacturer that has been producing the same model in various forms for decades and many parts are interchangeable across their models 

Bsa .airarms .weirauch.daystate.fx. 

Even crosman 

Just my opinion  

I guess if your happy to keep choping and changing guns often then buy anything you like the look of and give it a try .

BUT if you see your purchase as a long term investment to give u years of service id stick to the very well established marks and buy a piece of airgun history.