Monkey Puzzle

walshie

We've got this Monkey Puzzle tree in our garden. It's about 12ft high and as you can see it has 2 trunks growing up parallel to each other. The branches of each trunk are growing outwards and across the trunk next to it, so I assume something needs to be done, but what?

My options are: Cut down the smaller trunk and branches leaving the taller one to grow without hindrance, cut the inner branches off each or one of the trunks so they don't grow across the other one, or do nothing and see what happens. 

Any help much appreciated.

20190303_143951.jpg.cf396752628dee4b618281bd97009f7e.jpg

2 hours ago, JDog said:

That tree is young enough to recover from taking out the weaker shoot. Cut it as close to the join as possible and be careful to ensure that you do not damage any outward growing branches on the stem that you leave.

Aye this but its going to look funny for a bit 

Now I disagree. That tree looks as healthy as it could be and if it was mine I would leave well alone. IF at some stage one of the intervening branches starts to rub then you can carefull take that out.   It is a tree I also have affection for as we had one at the farmhouse where I was born which was right outside my bedroom window...well about 15yrds away, perfect air rifle distance.  It was also a fabulous tree about 40ft high and when we left the idiot who purchased the place chopped it down and years afterwards I was invited back and he had wrecked the old house as well.  No if you like it then leave as is.

5 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Burn it with fire spiky sharp devil tree. 

So why don't people like these trees? 

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You have favourite trees?

doesn't everyone have favourite trees? Horse chestnut, silver birch, midland hawthorn to name a few for me.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

So why don't people like these trees? 

They’re not particularly nice to look at and they’re covered in sharp prickles. And as a child having to extricate footballs, hiding chickens and an angry goose I can safely say they are horrible trees. And you can’t climb them which is especially important when you’re young!

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

They’re not particularly nice to look at and they’re covered in sharp prickles. And as a child having to extricate footballs, hiding chickens and an angry goose I can safely say they are horrible trees. And you can’t climb them which is especially important when you’re young!

😅😅 I thought you were going to say there spooky or something, and must admit I've never tried climbing one, but i think they look nice, ornamental 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Everyday’ s a school day; didn’t know that. 👍

figgy's spot on about the jet

The monkey puzzle  ( Araucaria Araucania ) is native to Chile and Brazil

Were we not part of the South American continent till we got moved away with the tectonic plates moving  thinks around

There's a big sandstone quarry near to me on top of a hill and i remember one of the stone masons telling me that they had come across fossilzed palm trees

Edited by sabel25

35 minutes ago, besty57 said:

I have worked at Wellington college in Berkshire many times,and when you drive up to the main reception, there are many of these lining the drive most have to be at least 50ft,

We have them growing here Planted in the garden of the local hotel / wedding venue  14 mile from the Scottish bourder