Monkey Puzzle

walshie

I think they are impressive looking trees and would follow jdogs advice. prune the smaller of the 2 and watch the branchs of the other one as I did it. 

Unlike the 30 foot willow that part fell in my garden last night which had me chainsawing all day and not looking for pigeons to shoot tomorrow. 

How close is it to it house or other targets

U could do either, leave it be or prune, but if very near a house or other target I might be inclined to chop both off them down.

I'm all for trees but just the right type of trees in the right places, wrong kind in the wrong place he just asking for trouble later on down the line

44 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Chop it down new one priced yesterday in the garden centre £49.99 and go for a symmetrical one LOL

Bet you couldn't get a 12 footer for £50. Actually had a tree surgeon look at it the other day in an unofficial capacity. He reckoned cutting the whole second trunk off might be too big a wound for the tree to take, so leave it alone. 

There were some at the back of my old house, planted in victorian times when estate was at its height, easily 75 to 100ft with 3ft  thick trunk.
It makes me smile everytime I go through towns and see them planted 10ft of the house wall in the middle of the front garden.
People just don't realise these are a full sized forest trees.

On 04/03/2019 at 12:21, sabel25 said:

figgy's spot on about the jet

The monkey puzzle  ( Araucaria Araucania ) is native to Chile and Brazil

Were we not part of the South American continent till we got moved away with the tectonic plates moving  thinks around

There's a big sandstone quarry near to me on top of a hill and i remember one of the stone masons telling me that they had come across fossilzed palm trees

So your saying we where never part of Europe after all ! :thanks:

On 10/03/2019 at 17:01, Stonepark said:

There were some at the back of my old house, planted in victorian times when estate was at its height, easily 75 to 100ft with 3ft  thick trunk.
It makes me smile everytime I go through towns and see them planted 10ft of the house wall in the middle of the front garden.
People just don't realise these are a full sized forest trees.

Aye I can think off a few local trees getting near to 75-100ft mark.

Have to admit never cut any monkey puzzle trees but have seen a few tips/branches snapping off bigger trees, so guessing must be brittleish.

Which is why I'd think about chopping it down if anywhere near a house/roads etc.

If u plan to stay in that house long term u will be responsible for that tree and any maintenance on it . If it does get big will be a tree surgeon job.

As a general rule of thumb (dependant on tree type) they ruffly reckon u can take 1/3rd off the tree without harming it too much.

Plenty off nice more shrubby type tree species out there possibly more suited to house gardens.

Even plant a few more suitable trees now so u can cut the monkey puzzle down In the future before it gets too by and problematic and u will have trees to fill the void already at a nice stage.

PS just looked at photo again and looks like woodland all behind the trees. Which means u don't have to worry about other properties.

U could just cut the very top foot or 2 off the secondary stem, which will severely stunt its growth, then in 5-10 years time ucould then cut the 2nd stem without damaging the tree as main stem bigger and stronger.

Depending wot the stem joint like like I would bet in 50+ years time when it has a bit more worthy they're will be a good chance off it breaking off.

Edited by scotslad

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

anybody seen what the wood looks like turned on a lathe................./?

Yes stunning, probably horrible to work though. If you Google it theres loads of pics. Ive dismantled and felled a few and can honestly say they are the spawntrees of the Devil! If you have the time, space and energy then maybe seasoned timber is ok but not worth messing with. Just my 2p worth....