What silencer is everyone using on .243?

plank06

As the title says.. what’s everyone using? And thoughts on weight, noise suppression etc?  I’ve currently got an A-tec Maxim, but stamped for .30cal and wondering whether to go calibre specific.  It was well priced second hand. 

Edited by plank06

I was previously using a T8 which was fantastic except for the monstrous weight. Finally bit the bullet (so to speak) and went for a Lawrence Precision titanium job and I cannot sing its praises highly enough. Great sound suppression, doesn't add undue length and oh so light. I barely even know that it is there.

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve got an ASE UTRA Northstar, good mod but I think it’s a bit heavy. 

No idea what it weights and whether a smaller / lighter mod would be worth the bother. 

That was why I changed to SL5i (you can part ex your old mod with Jackson rifles they give you about 60%off the new mod) 

On 04/03/2019 at 09:29, Jonno243 said:

I was previously using a T8 which was fantastic except for the monstrous weight. Finally bit the bullet (so to speak) and went for a Lawrence Precision titanium job and I cannot sing its praises highly enough. Great sound suppression, doesn't add undue length and oh so light. I barely even know that it is there.

very nice, fancied one for a while. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

If your only having the odd shot then look at the lighter Aluminium type, if you intend on chucking a few round down the range then look at something a bit more substantial, Stainless Steel or similar. 

Some advertise s giving more noise reduction than others, to me its sales banter, read up on reviews that are not from advertisers.  

19 hours ago, zipdog said:

very nice, fancied one for a while. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

Morning zipdog,

The mod came as part of a rifle package when I was chopping in my existing .243

It cost me a Mannlicher Model L plus T8 plus a few quid to get a Mannlicher Luxus plus Lawrence. The single trigger of the Luxus and the Lawrence were the drivers. Owning one now I would happily pay for another. I'm looking at adding a 7mm sometime soon and will likely put a Lawrence on that.

• 4 months later...
On 05/03/2019 at 13:20, JRDS said:

I use a Hausken on my 204 & 6.5 x 55, very light and superb sound reduction on both rifles.  

i fitted a hausken mod to .243 last week. feels very light on my  rifle and very impressive sound moderation!

Edited by Jay_Russell

Well I got a bit fed up of constantly swopping the silencer from my 17HMR to the 22RF so dug out the old enormous Husher, remember those. Mine had four sections which screwed together so I dismantled it and put two small sections together. Screwed it on the 22RF, checked it for accuracy and it did print 1/4 inch right from before, so adjusted accordingly and went out this morning and had no complaints from the four squirrels I shot out at 50yrds and the shots had little or no effect on the cock pheasant, half grown rabbit, half dozen guinnea fowl and two rock doves between the rifle and the squirrels.  Still a bit of a lump on the end,  but Heh!!   it does the job still after about 15yrs locked in the gun safe.