Pulling them down!!

Lloyd90

Was out with one of the club lads today, full of man flu but would rather sit in the hide that in the house! 

We setup just after 12 and had a steady stream of birds coming past for 2 hours, however they just wouldn’t commit and come down from the height. 

I very luckily managed to hit one bird hard and bring it down from the atmosphere but apart from that every we had was in strong wind at extreme speed and range. 

Its a shame as there were birds coming between two woods all thw time we were there but just wouldn’t come down to our decoys 😞 

Any tips on pulling them down into range? 

Edited by Lloyd90

I had the same problem earlier, after getting annoyed, i moved the pattern further out to 60 yards, opened it to roughly 40 yards wide (18 shell - 6 on spring sticks) then they flew on for 60 yards and turned around and came into 30 yards. Had a dozen in the end. 

I believe my pattern was too dense and was putting them off. Shame only realised in the last hour 😭

31 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I had the same problem earlier, after getting annoyed, i moved the pattern further out to 60 yards, opened it to roughly 40 yards wide (18 shell - 6 on spring sticks) then they flew on for 60 yards and turned around and came into 30 yards. Had a dozen in the end. 

I believe my pattern was too dense and was putting them off. Shame only realised in the last hour 😭

+1, exactly the same problem, after 2 hours I opened the pattern out to much larger area than normal, took in the floaters and magnet, so just a static display, suddenly they were turning around and floating back over the decoys for a look, only managed 6 but very pleased to get any.

2 hours ago, B725 said:

Did you take Ted? 

No mate left him at home. 

Would have been no birds shot for him anyway. 

I’ve shot over him and he was fine but never lots of shots one after the other. Wondered if that would be too much. 

Do you take yours in the hide? When did you start? 

first there were decoys (wooden)     then came the manual flapper......................................then the rotary was invented.....................................we need another inovation...the tecknology is available...what will it be..

Edited by ditchman

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

No mate left him at home. 

Would have been no birds shot for him anyway. 

I’ve shot over him and he was fine but never lots of shots one after the other. Wondered if that would be too much. 

Do you take yours in the hide? When did you start? 

Stan went regularly from 8 month with and without a hide just so he learnt that lot's of shots didn't mean there was anything for him, he sits calmly in a hide 

21 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Lloyd, I see you're Bristol based. So am I. Roughly, where were you shooting. I ask because just north of Bristol between the A38 and the Severn there is Sweet Fanny Adams pigeon wise.

Sorry mate not being rude but I can’t divulge location as I’d be in big trouble with the club. 

It’s Bristol 12 Bore Club though if You want to apply to join 👍🏻.

Bristol doesn’t have pigeons like other parts of the country sadly I don’t think I’ll ever see days of huge bags but there are small pockets or areas about - I have a bag of around 15ish I think last year. 

For me that’s a good day :) 

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

first there were decoys (wooden)     then came the manual flapper......................................then the rotary was invented.....................................we need another inovation...the tecknology is available...what will it be.. DRONES , dressed as pigeons ???

As far as technology goes, I think ( hope ) we have reached the peak , do the modern pigeon shooter thinks for himself now ? or just rely on putting battery operated gadgets out and hope for the best.:hmm: 

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Observation is always they key. Those pigeons which Lloyd saw were feeding somewhere.

They most certainly were , and would it been more beneficial to have followed them and tried to obtain permission from the land owner while seeing numbers feeding on his crop ?

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sorry mate not being rude but I can’t divulge location as I’d be in big trouble with the club. 

It’s Bristol 12 Bore Club though if You want to apply to join 👍🏻.

Bristol doesn’t have pigeons like other parts of the country sadly I don’t think I’ll ever see days of huge bags but there are small pockets or areas about - I have a bag of around 15ish I think last year. 

For me that’s a good day  

Hi Lloyd. No, you're not being rude. Position understood. Thanks for club tip. Will give it some thought.

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

They most certainly were , and would it been more beneficial to have followed them and tried to obtain permission from the land owner while seeing numbers feeding on his crop ?

We tried that but lost them through some woodland. 

A drone would be handy to follow them as Ditchman kindly suggested 😂😂😜