BBC Weather

walshie

I've yet to see an accurate forecast. Any time I look, they have changed it to try and suit current conditions, but still get it wrong.

Just this year, the 2 big "weather events" were forecast totally an utterly wrong. The "Heavy snow, high winds, don't travel unless absolutely necessary" turned out to be no snow, no wind and a fairly sunny day.

Yesterdays Storm Freya scaremongering of 80 mph winds, lashing rain and structural damage turned out to be no wind, no rain, a bit grey but fairly warm.

Today we are supposed to be having rain and strong winds, but I've been doing stuff outside enjoying the brilliant sunshine and lovely blue skies. 

I could forecast better than that lot using my seaweed and looking out of the window. :yes:

I use the BBC forecast on the computer and must say it is usually pretty accurate. My nearest point is Atherstone which sits under a steep ridge and we are some 5 miles away as the crow flies and often I can see weather going over the town which we are not getting.  Looking at the forecast yesterday, most of the serious high wind seemed to be north of us and this morning I was just 11 miles north west of our position and they had wind they could hardly stand up in, wherehas we had around 30mph.  I would say it is very difficult to give very precise forecasts within even a few miles as like Atherstone under a high ridge of land they seem to get the rain/slet and snow when we don't.     A bit of a chill breeze here today but quite pleasant.

Edited by Walker570

The nearest town the BBC recognise is about 2 miles from here and they get exactly the same weather as us. I can understand minor discrepancies, but you can't get any more inaccurate than complete opposites.

Well I have to disagree. Whilst I am the BBC,s least loyal supporter, for me, here, you can pretty much set your clock by it. If I just look at the generic forecast, it’s a hit and miss. Abut put my location in, or that of the farms I intend to visit, and it’s bang on accurate. Today for example,heavy  rain was forecast at 13,00hrs, fine dry and sunny at 12.45.  At 13.15, the skies went black, and it absolutely hissed down, with some hail

.i am really impressed by the BBC weather forecast and rely on its accuracy for my work. I’d say it’s 90% accurate for me.

Just my experiences  

3 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Well I have to disagree. Whilst I am the BBC,s least loyal supporter, for me, here, you can pretty much set your clock by it. If I just look at the generic forecast, it’s a hit and miss. Abut put my location in, or that of the farms I intend to visit, and it’s bang on accurate. Today for example,heavy  rain was forecast at 13,00hrs, fine dry and sunny at 12.45.  At 13.15, the skies went black, and it absolutely hissed down, with some hail

.i am really impressed by the BBC weather forecast and rely on its accuracy for my work. I’d say it’s 90% accurate for me.

Just my experiences  

Plus 1.   

4 hours ago, Blackstone said:

It's almost as if it's not a trivial matter to model and predict the fluid dynamics of the atmosphere.

This.

Put a pan of water one the cooker hob and bring it to the boil.   Now try to predict where and when the first bubble will appear.   You will, of course, be wrong.   Now that you have experience - Empty the pan.   Refill it and try again.   You will be wrong again.   After several hundred attempts you will be getting better but nowhere near 100%.   If you were you would be an ace at forecasting showers.

Fog is much harder.   You know fog is going to appear but try and forecast where and how dense.   It is almost impossible unless you use general terms like "There will be fog patches in the Eastern Counties of the UK".

It is an artform backed by science and computer models.

They do there best.   Short term for a specific area works fairly well but anything beyond a maximum of three days will only ever be a general picture of the probabilities. 

17 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

This.

Put a pan of water one the cooker hob and bring it to the boil.   Now try to predict where and when the first bubble will appear.   You will, of course, be wrong.   Now that you have experience - Empty the pan.   Refill it and try again.   You will be wrong again.   After several hundred attempts you will be getting better but nowhere near 100%.   If you were you would be an ace at forecasting showers.

Fog is much harder.   You know fog is going to appear but try and forecast where and how dense.   It is almost impossible unless you use general terms like "There will be fog patches in the Eastern Counties of the UK".

It is an artform backed by science and computer models.

They do there best.   Short term for a specific area works fairly well but anything beyond a maximum of three days will only ever be a general picture of the probabilities. 

I never said it was easy. They've proved many times just how hard it must be. I 'm just surprised they can get it so wrong so often As per my examples, it wasn't just the rain started at the wrong time, it was just 100% wrong. The complete opposite of what actually happened. On the "heavy snow day" it was still showing as heavy snow and cold when it was bright, sunny, and warm, so not even a forecast, just bad observation.

Maybe it's where I live but you can pretty much guarantee the forecast will be wrong more days than it's right. I could guess what it's going to be like here and have a higher hit rate. 

Edited by walshie