Game Dealers- how to/Gloucester

Hi All,

Managed to land permission on a big arable farm showing high numbers of pigeons (seen them myself).

Wanted to ask how everyone found game dealers to take there pigeons? Don't want to get ahead of myself but wanted to know the process, if you need any licences or training etc?

And if anyone has any recommendations in Gloucestershire?

Many thanks,

CF

Edited by Cornishfowler

I can't comment on things in your area but sadly many gamedealers have either closed shop or stopped taking woodies in many parts of the country. Talking to gamekeepers, butchers and farmers that shoot may point you in the direction of any game dealers locally.

It is good to know you are giving thought to an outlet for your quarry. There are other outlets for those of us who have limited game processers, shooting with steel and supplying hawk breeders and giving game away to those who want it are options and these folk can be found through social media.

Generally you will not need a licence to supply pigeons in feather to a dealer and you are ok to gift people game if no money changes hands.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

This is the first time since I've been using him, I've about 1K in stock so I must obtain another chest freezer.

You might well be his sole supplier P C , have you got any more dealers in the midlands area that take frozen pigeons ? , over the years I have sold pigeons to five or six dealers who were happy to take frozen pigeons for a decent exchange rate , Frost game was one of the biggest exporters and for ages there was only 5p difference from fresh or frozen , after many years of trading they have more or less packed up along with all the others bar one who is still trading in big numbers but paying next to nothing for your birds .

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

You might well be his sole supplier P C , have you got any more dealers in the midlands area that take frozen pigeons ? , over the years I have sold pigeons to five or six dealers who were happy to take frozen pigeons for a decent exchange rate , Frost game was one of the biggest exporters and for ages there was only 5p difference from fresh or frozen , after many years of trading they have more or less packed up along with all the others bar one who is still trading in big numbers but paying next to nothing for your birds .

No I'm not his sole supplier. Over the years I delivered birds to Derbyshire, Gloucestershire,Somerset , Cambridgeshire ,West Midlands and Warwickshire. So I expect that during the next few months I will be requested to supply. As I shoot steel now this also allows another option.

Thirty odd years ago all the birds went onto the Continent, talking to a Polish shop owner recently I suggested a temp controlled container could be shipped. She said that the older generation used to eat pigeons but there was no demand with the younger people. 

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

No I'm not his sole supplier. Over the years I delivered birds to Derbyshire, Gloucestershire,Somerset , Cambridgeshire ,West Midlands and Warwickshire. So I expect that during the next few months I will be requested to supply. As I shoot steel now this also allows another option.

Thirty odd years ago all the birds went onto the Continent, talking to a Polish shop owner recently I suggested a temp controlled container could be shipped. She said that the older generation used to eat pigeons but there was no demand with the younger people. 

I think your last sentence have hit the nail on the head , the older generation who enjoyed Pigeons and game in general have either passed on or no longer interested in the taste and the preparation to cook game , now the younger ones are not that keen in eating something knowing it have been shot and might need plucking before they can cook it .

Motty also suggested in a previous post the amount being shot is as high now or even higher than in the past , he could well be right , if this was the case and with a smaller demand off the public for pigeons the problem with off loading large quantities of pigeons could well be here to stay .

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think your last sentence have hit the nail on the head , the older generation who enjoyed Pigeons and game in general have either passed on or no longer interested in the taste and the preparation to cook game , now the younger ones are not that keen in eating something knowing it have been shot and might need plucking before they can cook it .

Motty also suggested in a previous post the amount being shot is as high now or even higher than in the past , he could well be right , if this was the case and with a smaller demand off the public for pigeons the problem with off loading large quantities of pigeons could well be here to stay .

Does that mean I'll have to miss more??

4 hours ago, la bala said:

Cartridge manufacturers have come up with an idea to solve the problem, they are going to load 50% of their cartridges blank.

I've had some already when you know you were on target and they carry on, I think they should at least fill them with confetti just to give you a clue.

6 hours ago, la bala said:

Cartridge manufacturers have come up with an idea to solve the problem, they are going to load 50% of their cartridges blank.

I would say that 75% of the the cartridges I use are that sort :whistling:

OB