What strimmer to buy

hedge

I'm doing some grass cutting work over the summer for a friend with a smallholding.

They've just bought a nice ride on mower but will also need a strimmer.

When I last used strimmers properly, Stihl was a decent brand. From what I've read, Husqvarna and Echo(?) are also sensible options. Possibly Honda and Makita?

Strimmer will be used for about 2-3 hours per month on grass for paddock edges and fence posts. No heavy brush cutting. Nylon line only.

I'd like to get a decent one but budget is `up to` £200. I can get 2nd hand branded for less on evilbay but you never know how they've been treated.

I'd like cow horn bars but other than that, open to ideas.

Do I need a super-posh strimmer or will a lesser brand be ok? Buy new or 2nd hand?

I've been round the houses on Google a few times and it's making my head hurt.

Buy a cheap petrol one from argos, good enough is good enough, for a few hours a month. The engine won't last as long but who cares? In twenty or thirty years time you might have to replace it, so what?

run it on good oil makes a difference 

Edited by Vince Green

Honda, they used to make great engines. I have 2 in bits at the moment both gx25 models and they are total **** and a exercise in economising 

first one has a stripped starter shaft and the second has the engine case cracked in about 3 places and baring failure probably due to it losing oil. I did not do the damage but bought them like that. 

You will be able to get stihl parts for years to come so would go with one of those with a decent sized engine, there is nothing worse than a underpowered strimmer.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've just found out I can get a Stihl FS55 brand new delivered for £203. It fits my criteria of sensible brand, ideally new and just about on budget.

I could buy a cheaper product, but I'm also a bit of a slave to getting quality stuff when I can, even if I don't really need it.

I'll see what else comes up but the FS55 is pretty much spot on.

1 hour ago, hedge said:

Strimmer will be used for about 2-3 hours per month on grass for paddock edges and fence posts. No heavy brush cutting.

If you are using it for 2-3 hours in a single session, you probably do need a petrol strimmer, but if it is half an hour each week you could consider a rechargeable machine (cheap to buy, no fiddling around with 2-stroke engines).   Decision would depend partly on whether you already have other rechargeable power tools using the same battery.

55 minutes ago, hedge said:

I've just found out I can get a Stihl FS55 brand new delivered for £203. It fits my criteria of sensible brand, ideally new and just about on budget.

I could buy a cheaper product, but I'm also a bit of a slave to getting quality stuff when I can, even if I don't really need it.

Buy stihl, theres a reason they're still expensive secondhand. Now i only use stihl and echo personally and stihl at work (though we've just bought huskie battery kit, very very good first impressions, gotta be carbon neutral 😂 ******* joke but anyway saying that we just ran a stihl extended reach hedge cutter on loan, on a ap300 battery for over 2hrs) so battery tech is catching up. Slowly. Might be a option. 

8 hours ago, hedge said:

Have an FS55 with cow horns- very pleased with it indeed.

Run all my saws and 2t on Stihl motomix and have had zero problems

12 hours ago, McSpredder said:

If you are using it for 2-3 hours in a single session, you probably do need a petrol strimmer, but if it is half an hour each week you could consider a rechargeable machine (cheap to buy, no fiddling around with 2-stroke engines).   Decision would depend partly on whether you already have other rechargeable power tools using the same battery.

It would be used twice a month for about an 60-90 mins per session. Would prefer petrol as that's what I'm used to (and I'm bit of a Luddite)

6 hours ago, Ricko said:

If you buy new and are an occasional user then run it on Aspen. No need to drain the fuel and run it dry over the winter. No damage to rubber seals, diaphragms etc due to supermarket fuel. Easy starting.

Had to Google that. Thanks - I'll have a look.

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Have an FS55 with cow horns- very pleased with it indeed.

Run all my saws and 2t on Stihl motomix and have had zero problems

I'm still thinking the FS55 is a sensible option.

3 hours ago, kennett said:

We run 10x Stihl fs450 at work, big bit of kit but once you have the harness set up right you barely feel it. Because of the size and weight you can also use them for a lot longer before you need to worry about HAV etc

Probably a bit more industrial than I need (awesome bit of kit though). I've used a harness before and that's my preferred method.

2 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

A small holding? Requiring a strimmer? I think he requires a couple of goats  

Ha ha. Old farm house with outbuildings and paddock for 3 horses and occasional sheep (for when the grass gets too long). I'm just mowing the nicer grass (lawn) areas and strimming the edges/fence line. Had a test drive on the new ride on mower last night. Very nice.

https://www.mowdirect.co.uk/mountfield-1538m-lawn-tractor.html

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I don't feel quite so uneducated now. I think I'll get the FS55 as it seems to tick all the right boxes. Might even be a bit overkill and Stihl might not be as good as they were, but I reckon it will still be all'reet.

14 hours ago, hedge said:

Sounds like you need a decent/tuff product.

Lots of the cheaper strimmer's are fine for modern pocket handkerchief domestic gardens with a couple of metres of work to do, but the Stihl sounds a good investment!