Your best job....[so far]

islandgun

Away in the land of nostalgia, I was thinking about all the jobs i'd had and was thinking of my favourite.. It was probably when i was in my teens. Tractor driver GFW on a 700 acre arable/ dairy farm near Chelmsford, Essex. Maximum fun for a young man, large tractors to drive, muddy lanes and big fields, the ability to keep an eye on the pigeons and their whereabouts, livestock to look after. good physical hard work with long hours. Iv'e had many jobs since then often in agriculture but that remains hard to beat..

Any favourites ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

relief chief engineer on the Lenne Regis dredger at kings lynn docks..........tide work lots of money..and i would report back to the dockers on the numbers and whereabouts of the geese and duck on the mashes when we went out to unload............

The best job I ever had was my first. I started working (1970's) for a small family run firm, repairing domestic appliances - mainly washing machines- and visited/met many people in their homes and in our repair shop.Wages were rubbish compared to my mates who worked in factories, but job satisfaction meant more to me.

Have had loads of jobs all of varying degrees of good or bad. 

Junior design artist was one of the early ones, but absolutely carp money. 

Forestry work was really enjoyable; out all day felling trees come rain or shine. 

Working at a local dairy ( now long gone ) was excellent money but shift work. Mind you, being single with all that money and a four on four off shift pattern meant I did a lot of shooting.

Biilding Tradis and eventually Passiv houses was good. Self employed. Loads of laughs and got to see many places around the UK I hadn’t seen. 

All in all I’m at my most content now. Kids have grown up, no mortgage. Gave up building houses and went back to being a self employed painter, which means I can take days off as and when I choose within reason, and go into the studio and do my artwork....or go shooting if nothing pressing. During the shooting season I take each Friday off to go beating.

Im currently sat at home prepping for a workshop I am running shortly, and catching up on a bit of sign writing while awaiting a delivery from Teague. So yeah, all in all, what I’m doing now. 

Edited by Scully
Predictive text

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

Forestry work was really enjoyable; out all day felling trees come rain or shine. 

Working at a local dairy ( now long gone ) was excellent money but shift work. Mind you, being single with all that money and a four on four off shift pattern meant I did a lot of shooting.

Biilding Tradis and eventually Passiv houses was good. Self employed. Loads of laughs and got to see many places around the UK I hadn’t seen. 

All in all I’m at my most content now. Kids have grown up, no mortgage. Gave up building houses and went back to being a self employed painter, which means I can take days off as and when I choose within reason, and go into the studio and do my artwork....or go shooting if nothing pressing. During the shooting season I take each Friday off to go beating.

Im currently sat at home prepping for a workshop I am running shortly, and catching up on a bit of sign writing while awaiting a delivery from Teague. So yeah, all in all, what I’m doing now. 

ive done that bloody hard work on peice work 2nd thinnings...then converting them......

I used to go to a property show called MIPIM in Cannes every year and spend my time entertaining. We used to rent an apartment, number 2 La Croisette, on the sea front with a wine waterfall and our own catering team. Every morning was breakfast on la plage. 

52 minutes ago, Scully said:

All in all I’m at my most content now. Kids have grown up, no mortgage. Gave up building houses and went back to being a self employed painter, which means I can take days off as and when I choose within reason, and go into the studio and do my artwork....or go shooting if nothing pressing. During the shooting season I take each Friday off to go beating.

Ive seen the quality of your work , you should be a wealthy man.:good:

31 minutes ago, oowee said:

I used to go to a property show called MIPIM in Cannes every year and spend my time entertaining. We used to rent an apartment, number 2 La Croisette, on the sea front with a wine waterfall and our own catering team. Every morning was breakfast on la plage. 

The OP was about a job...:rolleyes:

Best job,probably the worst paid, working abroad with kids, teaching them archery and other activities, great fun, lots of drinking and going out chasing skirt.

Current job, Social Worker, first in the community with young adults with LD, currently in the hospital, mostly helping old ladies to sort out nursing homes... I actually really like my current job can really help some people but big responsibility and make a mistake and the consequences can be bad. 

Often I see people doing "normal" jobs, just working in Greggs etc and think "that would probably be a nice relaxing job" lol.

For the last year or two I have considered going self-employed / or starting a business of some sorts... not really sure what in at the moment though... anything that seems decent requires a massive amount of start up funds :/ 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Ive seen the quality of your work , you should be a wealthy man.:good:

Thankyou, that's very kind. I COULD be a wealthy man if I chose to sit at home all day painting dog and cat portraits, but that would drive me crazy! I have a friend who is disabled and does this, and she makes very good money. Or, if I chose to paint portraits. I have another friend who charges upwards of 20k per portrait. He does around three or four a year. 🙂

From the day I left school at 15 I was never out of work right up to the day I retired , some of the jobs were bricklaying , long distance drivers mate , Royal Navy , Oil rig supply boats and then back in the building trade bricklaying , my last job was the best by far , the job was advertised as a jobbing bricklayer on a agricultural estate near me , I knew the estate quite well as I done some pigeon shooting on there along with beating ,

The building job I left was good money but long hours , my new job was about half what I had been earning but a lot less hours , although I was employed as a bricklayer my first six weeks was helping a woodman felling trees and carting them out of the woods , this to me was like heaven , we started at 7.30 in the morning and finished at 3.30 in the afternoon whereas my previous job we never had our tea break till 4 pm and then carried on till six pm .

After my six weeks were up I was then moved on to the building department , this consisted to just about every type of building work you can imagine , from installing park rays and back boilers to building new extensions , after the foreman retired I was asked to take his place , then a few years later when the building manager packed up I then took his position on till the day I retired which was nearly 30 years after I started working on the estate .

The perks to me were worth more than a well paid job you didn't like although when I finished I was earning good money , the perks included  pigeon shooting , attending all the game shoots , a head of department 150 shoot day with dinner in the hall , beating on a hare coursing day when it was legal and beating on field trials , as for shooting go the list goes on and on and even though I have now been finished over 11 years  I still help out on shoot days and to this day I shoot pigeons whenever I want .

So without a shadow of doubt this was my favorite job . 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

https://youtu.be/XOhZgAPn_CU

Edited by Velocette
error