Your best job....[so far]

islandgun

I was asked to apply by for a well paid job with a pharmaceutical multinational once. Didn’t want to give up the dream of the field I was trying to get into so kept plodding on but I do often think that may have been a big mistake. 

Three years later my career has made no significant advance but a couple of mates broke into big pharma and haven’t looked back. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best job was the three years I spent as a trainee gamekeeper on a large grouse moor, couldn't wait to get out on the hill every morning, trekking about checking traps and snares, burning heather, sitting out half the night or early mornings,  as much ferreting as I wanted, lamping rabbits night after night,  watching the grouse bringing up their chicks,   almost 12 years since I left, miss it every day 

4 minutes ago, MBW said:

My best job was the three years I spent as a trainee gamekeeper on a large grouse moor, couldn't wait to get out on the hill every morning, trekking about checking traps and snares, burning heather, sitting out half the night or early mornings,  as much ferreting as I wanted, lamping rabbits night after night,  watching the grouse bringing up their chicks,   almost 12 years since I left, miss it every day 

Jeez fella, is there no chance to get back into it ?

Was a wagon driver, loved it but the job slowly changed.

Health got in the way, 

Now I volunteer as an assistant to a Macmillan benefits caseworker.

For job satisfaction this has to be the best....

You meet people at their lowest and try to help them through stuff

:shaun:

I’m only 37 but while at school I worked at dominos delivering pizza :) for 6 months on a moped . 

Been in the family business ever since. Do I like it ??? Some days I hate it but then others are great. Money is never fantastic being self employed you don’t get a guarantee it’s in on time. Massive over heads and 3 lads employed currently come first. 

I could be digging out footings , fitting a kitchen , making a window, doors , skirting, installing /manufacturing. Stairs , floor laying , roofing , 

ive met a lot of horrible people that think nothing of having you killed through to the loveliest couples that can’t do enough for you.

most customers are word of mouth and repeat. 

10 hours ago, MBW said:

Almost like retirement that:good:

11 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Health got in the way, 

Well done sir. You deserve a big pat on the back👍

11 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Health got in the way, 

:shaun:

:good:

my best job was as a butcher i was 15 just got thrown out of school my dad dragged me to the local job centre and the interview went like this mmmmm we have a job as a trainee butcher i said i have always wanted to do that lying through my teeth as i didnt want a clump off of my dad i turned up in a tiny family butchers in bromley and stayed 3 years i absolutely loved it it turned me from a ragamuffin to a decent young man the owner was really firm with me but i learned the trade the proper way  my wage was £7 PER WEEK £6 73 after tax ha ha   i stayed a butcher for 10 years but the money was no good i am now a controller in a central london courier company 

Was going to apply for a job where a family member already worked so I picked his brains. "Didn't know jobs like this existed", was his response so I went for it. MoD Range warden and he was right. That would have been it but my hearing got worse and I was medically dismissed and then I got really lucky. I already knew someone from when I supplied Defra through him with moles for the same reason as follows. He knocked on my door, asked if I wanted a job, yes I replied, OK he said, you just passed the interview. So there am I driving around the Cornish, Devon and Dorset countryside bagging and tagging roadkill badgers and delivering them to one of the local Vetinary laboratories for postmortem examination for bTB and was just left to get on with it on a daily basis. It must be said though, that both wages were poor and needed subsidising by pensions from a former life.

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I was employed for a short time in a strip club in Mexico, I was the underwear remover and was not allowed to use my hands!

Oh the good old days.

15 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

But you don’t speak Mexican 🤷‍♂️😂

14 hours ago, hawkeye said:

he couldn't as he always had his mouth full 😷

TC may not hablas Espanol but (allegedly) he can get his tongue around Brazilian?

16 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Health got in the way, 

Hats off to you Sir.

Had loads i think back on. Full time keeper, loved every minute. Truss cutter for a few years, great laugh and would happily go back into it even tho the money was rubbish. 

Being out every day, on the tools right now is pretty sweet, cutting hedges, grass, trees ect. I wouldnt do it privately as well if i didnt love it, and took a big pay cut to have this job.

Lifes too short to have a well paid stressful job imo

My best job is what I’m doing now, Paramedic mentor. I love the job, and love being able to mentor new people into the job. As well as supporting longer serving members of staff to facilitate learning new skills or keeping up to date. 

Second  to that, the job I yearn after again is a tractor driver. Although the tractors aren’t anything like they were 20years ago! 

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

My best job is what I’m doing now, Paramedic mentor. I love the job, and love being able to mentor new people into the job. As well as supporting longer serving members of staff to facilitate learning new skills or keeping up to date. 

Second  to that, the job I yearn after again is a tractor driver. Although the tractors aren’t anything like they were 20years ago! 

The tractors I was driving date a bit older than 20yrs mate 😉.. the biggest was a MF 178, i did most of  the ploughing one winter without a cab, due to crushing the cab after putting it in a ditch [not my fault] A fine thing wrapped up warm and surrounded by squabbling gulls..:good:

gettyimages-629562809-1024x1024.jpg.986ee37a24e4cefec5f6ed2fa2182196.jpg

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The tractors I was driving date a bit older than 20yrs mate 😉.. the biggest was a MF 178, i did most of  the ploughing one winter without a cab, due to crushing the cab after putting it in a ditch [not my fault] A fine thing wrapped up warm and surrounded by squabbling gulls..:good:

Awesome! I cut my teeth ferrying silage with a 6ton west trailer and an international 574, with no doors or windows. You knew you’d done a 14hour day in that, getting out to connect hydraulics every load as we had a trailed harvester. No radio, the seat spring had gone so was resting on bricks! And the pressure of keeping the harvester going with empty trailers as my dad was on the chopper and got mad if the grass wasn’t in before the rain!! I’m sure that’s all the reason for my back pain and tinnitus! I was only 11 at the time! By the time I was 15 I had been promoted to the buck rake, with a 6foot rake behind an international 884 4wd. To this day buck raking is my favourite tractor driving job!!

40 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Nor in the late 40s and 50s. I would have a 2 1/4cwt Railway sack tuked in to form a hood to keep the weather off when working with the Fordson E27N it had a Perkins 6 diesel which was the bees knees back then. Fortunately had the low range gear box or I'm sure I wouldn't be here now.  Happy days.

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nor in the late 40s and 50s. I would have a 2 1/4cwt Railway sack tuked in to form a hood to keep the weather off when working with the Fordson E27N it had a Perkins 6 diesel which was the bees knees back then. Fortunately had the low range gear box or I'm sure I wouldn't be here now.  Happy days.

I remember having a 2 1/4 cwt sack of beans, put on my back from off a lorry, i was 15yrs old and slowly got lower and lower as i wobbled a few steps, [just looked up that weight 21/4 cwt = 114 kg..😮 ]

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

Awesome! I cut my teeth ferrying silage with a 6ton west trailer and an international 574, with no doors or windows. You knew you’d done a 14hour day in that, getting out to connect hydraulics every load as we had a trailed harvester. No radio, the seat spring had gone so was resting on bricks! And the pressure of keeping the harvester going with empty trailers as my dad was on the chopper and got mad if the grass wasn’t in before the rain!! I’m sure that’s all the reason for my back pain and tinnitus! I was only 11 at the time! By the time I was 15 I had been promoted to the buck rake, with a 6foot rake behind an international 884 4wd. To this day buck raking is my favourite tractor driving job!!

nice one ! .. I drove many different tractors after my first job.. mostly agric contracting, spreading, harvesting, ditching and hedging,  a good life for a young man.... i need a tractor !

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I remember having a 2 1/4 cwt sack of beans, put on my back from off a lorry, i was 15yrs old and slowly got lower and lower as i wobbled a few steps, [just looked up that weight 21/4 cwt = 114 kg..😮 ]

nice one ! .. I drove many different tractors after my first job.. mostly agric contracting, spreading, harvesting, ditching and hedging,  a good life for a young man.... i need a tractor !

I drove all sorts,  our neighbour was a contractor with some interesting kit who I helped out a bit. Namely a Mercedes MBtrac 1800, and unimogs both on Lyme spreaders. Both running on terra tyres. 

Also drove fast tracs, quad tracks, cat challengers and lots more ‘normal’ tractors. The moor I think about it, the more I miss it! 

Well I have a little 17hp Kubota 7001 circa 1970s grey import now with front loader, bucket and fork. It is my saving grace, brilliant little machine. Does all of my lifting and carrying for me.

Certainly the best money I have ever spent.  4ft brush swipe, hydraulic framed chain harrows, rear transport box and also another transport box which slides on the front forks, bench saw, hydraulic and cone log splitters it handles them all.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Well I have a little 17hp Kubota 7001 circa 1970s grey import now with front loader, bucket and fork. It is my saving grace, brilliant little machine. Does all of my lifting and carrying for me.

Certainly the best money I have ever spent.  4ft brush swipe, hydraulic framed chain harrows, rear transport box and also another transport box which slides on the front forks, bench saw, hydraulic and cone log splitters it handles them all.

I had one until i rolled it down a hill with a trailer 😞