Does NV make sense on a legal limit air rifle?

udderlyoffroad

9 hours ago, happyshooter said:

NV is a game changer ,the only thing is it can become an obsession,  i started off

one of the first Nite -site-NS-200,s and used that for 3 yrs with great success ,I now own a NS-wolf, a NS-Viper

a pard NV008 , a pulsar N750,and two nv addons built by two friends of mine,

so i have a few NV goodies   I use these on rimfires, fac air & sub 12fpe airguns.

atb brian

Jeez that's some gear to carry to get a rabbit😂

I have a Pard 007 and its great NV for the money. 

I use it as a spotter for which i'ts excellent , see out  to 200m. When you see your quarry, just stick it onto your scope ( a couple of seconds) and your ready to shoot.

Had a Yukon Photon for a few years and the Pard is way better in all aspects as far as I'm concerned. Good on both air rifles and RF

I thought I should probably update this, seeing as I started the thread.

I ignored all of the advice, and bought….a cheapie gun-mounted red led torch from Amazon.  £12 delivered.  And it works.  Out to 35-odd yards.  Which is fine, but just a little underpowered.  It would be advantageous to be able to illuminate a little further, even if I’m unlikely to take the shot, unless I can get really steady (tree, gate, etc for support, off the knee, or prone, not always possible when lamping).  Will be useful as a backup/pocket torch.

So I tried a slightly more expensive lamp, £40 this time.  The beam isn’t focusable (despite being advertised as such) and the quality of the switch means it’s the contacts are very intermittent.  So it’s going back.

However, on Bumpy’s suggestion I tried it underneath the shottie.  And it works very well.  Had two rabbits on the first night.  My fieldcraft and knowledge of the permission is also improving somewhat, which helps  I still want to use the air rifle at night, but it needs an o-ring or 2 at the moment anyway, so will continue to use the shottie, for this week anyway.  I want to rebuild the rifle and head to the range and really dial it in before use on live quarry.

Actually, an issue I’ve noticed is that on pulling the trigger the smoke emanating from the barrel will fluoresce under the red light and obscure your view of the target for a second or 2 - think turning your main beams on in thick fog.  Not really a problem, except I find that it’s useful to see the rabbit drop, to build a mental picture of where it has fallen to aid later recovery.

If I’m honest, one time I messed up was on the last field, heading back to the car.  Conducted a sweep, saw a bunny off in the distance, thought “that’s a bit too far off, let’s see if I can drop back into the woods and creep in a little closer.”  I managed to not do it not-very-silently, and thought “nah…he’ll have long since scarpered if he has any sense.”  But I emerged and gave it a go anyway.  He was still there, nibbling.  I put the light on him and he started to bolt…and I left it.  My mind was clearly in ‘rifle’ mode.  Something that continued through to the monthly clay club meet yesterday, where I put in a shocking performance.  Oh well, no harm done, either to live quarry or clays.

I still covet an NV, with the Pard as the front runner as I can use it as a spotter for the odd nights when I’m Bumpy’s fox retriever and apprentice garralocher.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I thought I should probably update this, seeing as I started the thread.

I ignored all of the advice, and bought….a cheapie gun-mounted red led torch from Amazon.  £12 delivered.  And it works.  Out to 35-odd yards.  Which is fine, but just a little underpowered.  It would be advantageous to be able to illuminate a little further, even if I’m unlikely to take the shot, unless I can get really steady (tree, gate, etc for support, off the knee, or prone, not always possible when lamping).  Will be useful as a backup/pocket torch.

So I tried a slightly more expensive lamp, £40 this time.  The beam isn’t focusable (despite being advertised as such) and the quality of the switch means it’s the contacts are very intermittent.  So it’s going back.

However, on Bumpy’s suggestion I tried it underneath the shottie.  And it works very well.  Had two rabbits on the first night.  My fieldcraft and knowledge of the permission is also improving somewhat, which helps  I still want to use the air rifle at night, but it needs an o-ring or 2 at the moment anyway, so will continue to use the shottie, for this week anyway.  I want to rebuild the rifle and head to the range and really dial it in before use on live quarry.

Actually, an issue I’ve noticed is that on pulling the trigger the smoke emanating from the barrel will fluoresce under the red light and obscure your view of the target for a second or 2 - think turning your main beams on in thick fog.  Not really a problem, except I find that it’s useful to see the rabbit drop, to build a mental picture of where it has fallen to aid later recovery.

If I’m honest, one time I messed up was on the last field, heading back to the car.  Conducted a sweep, saw a bunny off in the distance, thought “that’s a bit too far off, let’s see if I can drop back into the woods and creep in a little closer.”  I managed to not do it not-very-silently, and thought “nah…he’ll have long since scarpered if he has any sense.”  But I emerged and gave it a go anyway.  He was still there, nibbling.  I put the light on him and he started to bolt…and I left it.  My mind was clearly in ‘rifle’ mode.  Something that continued through to the monthly clay club meet yesterday, where I put in a shocking performance.  Oh well, no harm done, either to live quarry or clays.

I still covet an NV, with the Pard as the front runner as I can use it as a spotter for the odd nights when I’m Bumpy’s fox retriever and apprentice garralocher.

hello, ah well despite not taking the advice given at least you know there is a lot to the knowledge of PW members, so you found the £40 torch ****,  here is some more advice then, when you get a refund buy a TR 38 XP E2 red pil 3 MODE torch, plus thumb switch, you can even go to a 50mm head which are slightly better on distance and beam, to show how good these are i use one on my CZ 455 22 L/R , Andy at ludicrous lumins will help you and he knows his torches, cheers 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ah well despite not taking the advice given at least you know there is a lot to the knowledge of PW members, so you found the £40 torch ****,  here is some more advice then, when you get a refund buy a TR 38 XP E2 red pil 3 MODE torch, plus thumb switch, you can even go to a 50mm head which are slightly better on distance and beam, to show how good these are i use one on my CZ 455 22 L/R , Andy at ludicrous lumins will help you and he knows his torches, cheers 

Or you could get one of these https://torchfactory.com/t38-red-led-pill and put it in my T38/67 in the other sales section, and for less than £50 you have a multi use torch with IR for future use ect.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I thought I should probably update this, seeing as I started the thread...

Keep in mind the illuminator of a night vision rig will also light up that smoke coming out the barrel but the camera will have better performance than your eyes so the smoke will likely be even more apparent. You referred to fitting the torch below the barrel - that could avoid a small but important portion of the smoke being lit if the torch is far enough rearwards under the rifle, particularly if you use a fat sound mod.

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Or you could get one of these https://torchfactory.com/t38-red-led-pill and put it in my T38/67 in the other sales section, and for less than £50 you have a multi use torch with IR for future use ect.

Currently researching your X-sight actually!

Yes, I should've bought the ludicrous lumens or A.N. Other proper T38 torch, as advised earlier in this thread.  Buy once cry once as they say...However, no regrets on buying the £12 job, useful little thing. 

10 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Keep in mind the illuminator of a night vision rig will also light up that smoke coming out the barrel but the camera will have better performance than your eyes so the smoke will likely be even more apparent. You referred to fitting the torch below the barrel - that could avoid a small but important portion of the smoke being lit if the torch is far enough rearwards under the rifle, particularly if you use a fat sound mod. 

That was when I was trying the Crapola Inc. torch underneath the shotgun, not a rifle.  When I purchase a decent torch it'll be used on the air rifle, so no smoke.  Don't have an FAC...yet, but if this promised permission comes through....well let's just say It'd be good to get the NV choice so right, so it can be used on any future HMR/.22  What was that I was saying about buy once, cry once?

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

:good:

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes, I should've bought the ludicrous lumens or A.N. Other proper T38 torch, as advised earlier in this thread.  Buy once cry once as they say...However, no regrets on buying the £12 job, useful little thing. 

Adjustable beam makes all the difference too.

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

That was when I was trying the Crapola Inc. torch underneath the shotgun, not a rifle.  When I purchase a decent torch it'll be used on the air rifle, so no smoke.  Don't have an FAC...yet, but if this promised permission comes through....well let's just say It'd be good to get the NV choice so right, so it can be used on any future HMR/.22  What was that I was saying about buy once, cry once?

Oops I forgot you were using air - sorry bud. :blush: