Anyone shoot a. 20 spring rifle

washerboy

I have been using .20 since 1994. I have a break barrel Theoben. It is a hybrid of the Fenman (stock) and Taunus (barrel and action - although the action is common across the entire range). The Taunus was offered with a dedicated sporter stock, I wanted the ambidextrous stock of the Fenman so I can shoot off both shoulders. The longer barrel of the Taunus gives a smoother shot cycle with the smaller pellet. I still have the rifle and use it fairly frequently, although my .20 Rapid, also a 1994 purchase, is my main tool.

There are plenty of detractors of the 5mm calibre and they are always vociferous, many of them have little experience of the calibre and the limited number of pellets is an oft quoted drawback - or is it? I think the pellets offered in .20 are plenty varied enough and it is a benefit not to have to trawl through 20 different types to find the one or two your rifle shoots the best. Especially if you then start to take head size variations into account.

JSB Exact

H&N FTT

Bisley Pest Control

HW FT (JSBs rebranded)

Crossman Premier

Webleypell .20 (same as Crossman Magnum with a yellow label)

How many more do you need? There are others, but to be honest why bother.

.20 has a flatter trajectory than a .22 but not as flat as the .177. Best way to describe the .20 is that it hits harder than a .177 without the massive trajectory curve of a .22.

My next will also be a .20. Their only drawback is that at present the selection of different .20 pellets are not great.

Most .20 pellets weigh the same as .22 pellets .so the trajectory is the same as the .22  pointless .

If there were more .20 s weighing around 11  -12 grns then there would be a better case for the cal. 

Imo

Thing is the difference between .177 and .22 isnt that big in real terms and even less between a heavy .177 and a light .22 

So to split that small difference with a .20 cal pellet is rather a waste of time 

As most people agree or find out for themselves .

I think the largest problem is that the 20 suffers from lack of investment.

Currently Uttings have 5 pellets, all round heads, Weihrauch, h&n ftt, job exact and daystate sovereign (exact rebrand?) and daystate kaiser (ftt rebrand?).

Both 177 and 22  have 110 and 79 designs designs of all different shapes, weights and sizes.

Ballistically the 20 sits between 177 and 22 but whilst there is a significant difference between those 2, the 20 sitting in the middle can be covered by a light 22 pellet or a heavy 177 pellet and therefore has no distinct clear advantage.

Similar to the 20b, 12b with the 16b sitting in-between.

For those of the K.I.S.S. persuasion, the 20 can be a perfectly adequate solution but it does not have the flexibility of pellet options that the other two have.

Lovely summing up .👏

I think if we all had to start again but there could only be 1 pellet cal then i think i might choose a .20 especially if say the energy limit was 16 fpe .

Then i think the .20 could  make the ideal 1 calibre .

But thats not the case so .177 and .22 gives more flexability .