.17HMR or .22WMR

squirrel shooter

1 minute ago, PPP said:

As you have 22 from I’d go for HMR. However I’m now seriously considering chopping in my 22rf and 17 HMR for the 22wmr savage semi auto now that you can get subsonic wmr

Surely a sub sonic 22wmr is not going to perform any better than a 22RF subsonic or am I missing something ...OH Yeh! of course you can still use the more powerful stuff if needed, got it.

My 22RF sub sonic is for specific jobs...keeny meeny, least/no noise jobs.  The 17HMR mid range up to 150yrds   and the 17 Rem for anything up to 300.

Those on the stick where from 50 to 250yrds with my Martini actioned 17 Remington back in the late 80s.

DSCF1934.JPG

The 22RF with sub sonics is so useful. I shot mine today on tree rats and whacked one about 20yrds away feeding on some whole maize I had spread. A cock pheasant pecking away just a yard from the squirrel hardly stopped pecking as the bullet hit..WHOPPP!!! ... peered at the kicking furry mass and then continued picking maize up totally unconcerned.  A muntie walked across the ride seconds later no more than fifty yards away also unconcerned.  I love my 17s but would never be without  a moderated 22RF.

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The 22RF with sub sonics is so useful. I shot mine today on tree rats and whacked one about 20yrds away feeding on some whole maize I had spread. A cock pheasant pecking away just a yard from the squirrel hardly stopped pecking as the bullet hit..WHOPPP!!! ... peered at the kicking furry mass and then continued picking maize up totally unconcerned.  A muntie walked across the ride seconds later no more than fifty yards away also unconcerned.  I love my 17s but would never be without  a moderated 22RF.

total agree with the 22rf iv got the cz 452 with sak mod so useful special on mink out to 50 yards wouldn't be with out it, would like to change the wooden stock tho

Had the 17hmr when they first came out for rabbit and close range fox but went back to the 22lr was lamping with the 17 on a windy night and the bullet heads were being blown all over the place the rifle was on zero I prefer the 22lr just my opinion Mate shoots the 22wmr and loves it 

6 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Had the 17hmr when they first came out for rabbit and close range fox but went back to the 22lr was lamping with the 17 on a windy night and the BULLETS were being blown all over the place the rifle was on zero I prefer the 22lr just my opinion Mate shoots the 22wmr and loves it 

I doubt it, more likely shady ammunition which the hmr is notorious for. I shoot the hornet in 17 with a bullet only 3gr. heavier on blustery nights, no issues. It's just a better vermin calibre all round.

You can doubt all you want the 17 hmr I had on windy nights lamping bullet heads were being blown all over the place and that was with different brands that’s why went back to 22 lr Glad I did No doubt better range with 17hmr but still noisey with moderator on rifle You are right 17hmr bullets lots people have had problems with the ammo cracked casing etc Wouldn’t buy another one 

19 hours ago, mick miller said:

I doubt it, more likely shady ammunition which the hmr is notorious for. I shoot the hornet in 17 with a bullet only 3gr. heavier on blustery nights, no issues. It's just a better vermin calibre all round.

I would have thought the extra 1000 fps and more than twice the energy helps a bit too.

22wmr for me, had both and still got the hmr, what a bad choice that was. Used it succesfully for a few years but had ammo problems. The 22wmr using 25g ntx ammo from hornady is similar to the hmr ballistics wise, cheaper and without the inconsistencies. As for the hmr being **** in wind, if your pushing distances past 100 then it will be, up to that point and shoot unless it's real windy 

I liked my .22WMR. At longer ranges it meant dropping rounds in  via trajectories akin to artillery shells, by which time it had gone subsonic, but that resounding thwack down range was always reassuring. Mine went through a Ruger which had the highly successful rotary magazine. 👍

Mate owns a .17HMR and uses it to great effect on corvids.