Grey squirrel tails

gmm243

Evening all,

Would any of the members who shoot squirrels be happy to part with a few tails if they don't use them?Have just started checking through the flytying kit and realise I have none left.I am very happy to pay postage.

We used to have plenty of greys but now only reds (and pinemartins).

Many thanks,

Gavin.

Gavin,  I can sort you some out.  Nice long fibre ones. pm me and address.  I'll take the bone out ??   Lighter to post.  Wet week this week but towards weekend should be into some.

the ones on shot yesterday bar one where all youngsters with poor tails, but I'm a tier as well so know what your looking for.  Just given a bunch away because I am slowly selling off my tying stuff. 

Hi Garnet,

I would love between 5 -10 if that was possible and not being too greedy?

When I was young(30+  years ago) we had reds then loads of greys seemed to move in.In the past 4 years I don't think I have seen a grey but see a lot of reds.This corresponds with an increase in the Pine Martin population,I have heard folk say that the red being lighter can move to the end of the branches and evade the Pine Martin but the grey,being heavier, can not.I am not sure it is as simple as that.

Hi Gavin

From what I understand the jury is still out about the relationship between reds and martens, there are a few theories, all I know is greys hate them and clear off, whilst the reds thrive. This has been noted in Scotland as well.

Now that Walker has kindly offered to supply some tails, It would be better if you take up his generous offer. It would only take him a couple of days to get that sort of number and more importantly he is a fisherman and knows what to look for!

Cheers

Garnet

Now you've put me on the spot:yes::lol:

The weather is going to be my enemy in the next 10 days.  I need to get some shot to keep my 5 a week plan.

Do you use deer hair ?   I have a bunch of that as well.  The tails on munties are very useful for sedges wings and the white under hair split for mayflies.  I have a ton of stuff of various hair/fur.

Thank you both for your very quick responses and kind offers.I didn't realise that I had a pm and had replied in the public forum.I have been a member for a long time but never post and must say this is the sort of kind offer I have seen on the forum so often.

Gavin/Nev

I didn’t mean to put you on the spot😅 It’s just you often get 3 or 4 and more at a time and I only get singles!

I’ll keep the tails of any I get in the next fortnight and will post them off if you need any more. 

PW at its best.

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

I'm shooting some squidgells at the moment, 22 so far but they've gone to feed the buzzards. I'll cut off the decent ones and post them if you pm your address, I do have some jay feathers if you want them?

PM sent