Vitamin B

walshie

We're going on holiday in a few weeks and I normally get bitten alive. In past years I've taken a few weeks worth of Vitamin B12 and it seems to have kept the biters at bay. Some sites suggest B1, some suggest B12 and some say it doesn't work at all. Having had some success in the past (whether real or imagined) I thought I'd give it a go again so bought some B-complex which has some of each of the Bs. 

I took my first one this morning and by lunchtime my wee was fluorescent green! :w00t: Luckily my mrs had the same which made me feel a bit better.

Is this normal? Does it happen this quickly and is it ok to keep taking them?

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what about garlic pills..........ive heard they work and are good for you to.....................friend of mine puts a couple of garlic cloves in the dog water...against fleas...she sweres by it..

Does it work on fat Sarah? 

The Avon stuff is legendary. I cant understand why they haven't capitalised on the fact that its so bloody good at repelling nasties. I was put onto it by a bloke up in the Scottish Highlands - the midges were eating me alive.  SSS sorted it  - not totally (there were billions of the little blighters) but made a huge difference to enjoying the fishing and not.

16 minutes ago, walshie said:

I tried Avon SSS a couple of years ago and it actually got me bitten more than without. I'm happy the Vit B will do the job, I was just wondering about my new luminous production.

I bought the sss last year, made no difference got eaten.

But i have heard of people taking vitamin B to stop the criters.

As for your glow in the dark wee?

@7daysinaweek

• 1 month later...

Well, had a few weeks on this now. Don;t feel any different and I've got used to luminous pee. Haven't been bitten yet, so fingers crossed, but then it's been cold. 

This time next week I'll be in Savannah GA and in the 80s, so that will be a much better test. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I was told sas use Avon soft but I don’t think I will be going round asking them.

walshe I would be more concerned that the vit b you are taking is not effecting your kidneys .

i could ask my mate but i know the answer would be why would he want to smell like a tart in the jungle, where smells carry.

Good old DEET the stuff that can melt a bic pen that's what we slapped on when i was in it worked, bit of a shock when the cheek guard on the SA80 started to melt when your DEET covered face came into contact with it.

1 minute ago, welsh1 said:

i could ask my mate but i know the answer would be why would he want to smell like a tart in the jungle, where smells carry.

Good old DEET the stuff that can melt a bic pen that's what we slapped on when i was in it worked, bit of a shock when the cheek guard on the SA80 started to melt when your DEET covered face came into contact with it.

Skin so soft doesn't work for me. DEET does (well jungle formula) but it's horrible stuff as you say. I try to avoid it if poss. Hopefully this vit B will do the trick.

Alright, just got back from a break and the best anti mozzy formula was one put together by a pro and that was a mix of baby oil, citronella and detol. No joke, it worked the best and was good on the skin. The recipe cane from Oz originally and I can only imagine what their worst mozzys look and bite like. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2019 at 18:42, Mungler said:

Alright, just got back from a break and the best anti mozzy formula was one put together by a pro and that was a mix of baby oil, citronella and detol. No joke, it worked the best and was good on the skin. The recipe cane from Oz originally and I can only imagine what their worst mozzys look and bite like. 

Bet you smelt lovely. :lol:

Just got back from North Carolina. I can confirm Vitamin B works. I got one bite, compared to the dozens I have got there before. Didn't use any sprays or wipes either. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/03/2019 at 18:34, Wilksy II said:

I don’t think it’s owt to worry about, I seem to remember being told it’s just the excess B vitamins as your body only absorbs what it needs, and you pass the rest 

Correct.

The vitamin B group are water soluble, as opposed to fat soluble, so any excess dose is excreted. However, there is an exception -  B12 accumulates in the liver, and can cause damage, as can B3 (if memory serves). Some others have side effects too - a high dose of B6 causes sensitivity to sunlight, leading to rashes and irritation.

Edited by Blackbriar