Two 4 bores tested. Ouch!!

mudpatten

Watching it now, nice to see them being fired.

Quite funny seeing little Dave shoot it, looked like a Slow Mo of a head on shoulder barge in rugby. Poor chap had to sit out the conclusion due to concussion.

Edited by figgy

Feltwad that's a decidedly comely looking wench in the middle. What is it? I'm fascinated by old black powder guns, it's my inner pyromaniac I think. There is a quaintness about them like your just nip down to the blacksmith to get your horse shod, your sword sharpened and whilst you were there hed just before you a mechanism for the old family blunderbuss.

On 08/03/2019 at 23:54, figgy said:

Feltwad I noticed Johnny closing his eyes just before pulling the trigger. 

Almost a flinch in readiness of the severe recoil.

14 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Feltwad that's a decidedly comely looking wench in the middle. What is it? I'm fascinated by old black powder guns, it's my inner pyromaniac I think. There is a quaintness about them like your just nip down to the blacksmith to get your horse shod, your sword sharpened and whilst you were there hed just before you a mechanism for the old family blunderbuss.

Figgy 

That is a common fault when shooting big bore muzzle loaders 

Bentejockey

The one in the middle is a small flintlock punt gun full stocked and in about a 6 bore the other flint lock is a 2 bore bank gun 

Feltwad

P1010003.JPG

4 bore.JPG

Edited by Feltwad

Lovely guns felt wad.. I am envious

Lee... that's a brilliant video that you and TGS have put together,, well done.. being a fan of the 4bores it was a good watch and a probably a video that will be a must see in years to come for the up and coming big bore wildfowlers,,, and also shows the capability of what these guns can and will do.

I pattern mine at 100 yrds with good results using BP and nitro which see the demise of any geese at that range..  

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:33, fandango said:

Lovely guns felt wad.. I am envious

Lee... that's a brilliant video that you and TGS have put together,, well done.. being a fan of the 4bores it was a good watch and a probably a video that will be a must see in years to come for the up and coming big bore wildfowlers,,, and also shows the capability of what these guns can and will do.

I pattern mine at 100 yrds with good results using BP and nitro which see the demise of any geese at that range..  

I was quite underwhelmed by the video, to be honest. There was some good content, but the pattern testing was poor and didn't show anything meaningful.

8 hours ago, motty said:

I was quite underwhelmed by the video, to be honest. There was some good content, but the pattern testing was poor and didn't show anything meaningful.

Has there ever been a post that you dont have a bitch about!

This i a UK post about stuff we have over here , it was educational, interesting and well filmed just get over yourself and watch it without  having a dig at it.

51 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

I enjoyed the video myself probably never get to fire a big bore shotgun so love watching these on the  net 👍👍👍

A lot of game fairs will have the odd big bore gun you can have a go with, first front stuffer I shot they forgot to say there's a 10 minute delay from pulling the trigger to it going off. 

11 minutes ago, B725 said:

A lot of game fairs will have the odd big bore gun you can have a go with, first front stuffer I shot they forgot to say there's a 10 minute delay from pulling the trigger to it going off. 

Tired old gun by the sounds of it, keep a good frizzen on it check your flint bevel up or down for best (longest ) stroke, clamp up your flint in lead i thinks best check locks for spring condition keep frizzen clean constantly, use 4fg (fine) in your pan dont cover hole that slows ignition down. that is just to keep things quick enough not to be as obvious. Lots of faffing around with the old guns but it all comes flooding back, and i know why i dont bother any more.

10 hours ago, aberisle said:

Has there ever been a post that you dont have a bitch about!

This i a UK post about stuff we have over here , it was educational, interesting and well filmed just get over yourself and watch it without  having a dig at it.

Hmmm. I think you are confusing bitching with constructive criticism. Perhaps if you were to read my post again, you would see that I mentioned that there was some good content. I will stand by what I said, though. I would have liked to have seen the cartridges being loaded (mentioning the amount of pellets per cartridge) and a decent pattern test that showed the percentages of shot in a 30" circle.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

These were not sporting guns as such, they were used for commercially harvesting birds on the water and were fired into flocks of 'sitting ducks' by men who made a living by it if they were lucky. Beautiful video, thanks

Pretty much out and out goose guns, really.

Punt guns were for taking flocks of bird on the water, or as they start to take flight.

Would love to have a shot or two at flighting geese with s four bore.

Watched a video on YouTube of a old fella going on the shore with one then cleaning it after his outing, was a nice video to watch how it used to be done.

The old bank guns were indeed used for harvesting birds on the water. However these fours are a later generation, and they are certainly not real punt guns. They were the answer back then to the problem we address today with long cases and super dense shot - getting high geese. Even today, most of us have experienced letting birds pass at flight time, and then hearing a boom from a monstrous gun back in the gorse bushes or the marsh heads and a goose come plummeting down from a seemingly impossible height. Not my scene personally but it's part of wildfowling.