Saab temp low but fan on.

B B

My Sister bought a Saab 93 Tid 1.9 sport 57 reg 112000 miles, Bought it private and it seems to run fine but she has had it about a month now and came around tonight in the rain concerned about the cooling fan coolant level.

She said its not overheated and it seems ok but temprature is about a 1/4 up from rest only yet the cooling fan cuts in quite soon from the gauge moving off rest.

I took it for a run up the A1 went 40 miles each way the temp went only slightly over 1/4 and sure enough when i stoped fan was runing.  I turned around came back home basical turned off heater tried to make it get hot but it did not and got back home fan was off.

Restarted it 20 mins later when she went home fan still off but she rang said it was on when she got home thats about 8 miles.

Im thinking some sensor radiator sensor something like that, are they possibly linked to the gauge or through the ECU . Any Saab experts in the house please, i need help on this one i dont know saabs and no idea where sensors are and what they are meant to do on these cars.

My first thought were if temp low was engine getting hot enough would it efect fuel consumption, but she said its doing mid to late 50s early 60s working it out on fill ups, car as done about 1800 miles in the month or so she as had it so not expecting it to be head gasket but not 100% Any advice please.

could be something as simple as putting a new temperature sensor in..........they do need replacing sometimes.......if it was terminal it would get worse and boil over....

check the header tank to see if there are any bubbles in the coolant when running...........and check the inside of the rocker box for grey sludge

bet you it is a sensor in the cylinder head..should be under a tenner:good:

Thanks ditchy its got no sludge i checked that , and coolant bottle no bubles and coolant looks to not be diluted like they have had any issues before selling it her. No orange coolant spew anywhere its just the clock reading low and this fan running as i can see.

The temp sensor on these cars are a known problem - the sensor may be another issue, sensors are less than a tenner so I would change that first, you may find that Vauxhall sell the same part under a different number. May be worth changing the thermostat at the same time - both jobs fairly easy.

Edited by bruno22rf

I went over to sisters 7 this morning, lent her my car and i had a play with this saab, it started ok  starter a bit noisy but thats another issue, but ticking over fine left it running in the barn abot a half hour wile i made a cup of tea.

Went back out its fan is roaring away like it does.  Temp is barely off reast and car struggling to get up to temp, i went for a run in it sitting there was getting boring. 

Nothing changed usual so i came back home and got my code reader found the OBD port that was worriingly eassy to find and accesable, like perhaps they knew it would be needed LOTS! .

So diagnostics. SCAN .  bang , P0517 .  I then looked it up.  Was Temp sensor. I wiped the code and soon as i wiped it IGN still on but not running the fan switches on and straight away i noticed the temp gauge shooting up it went to just under half, the fan cut out i put cover back on Port put my reader away and went for another drive.

Its sat at just under half fan as not cut in once and heater is fine and coolant bottle slightly warmer to tuch like i would expect. I got one of those cheapo lazer temp guns they seem a gadget but do seem to detect temp changes i am going to use it on the expansion bottle keep an eye on it.

Just done ten miles in it heater off its not budged from just under half.

Sorry for the chapter but but recounting all the details, and it seems to me it may be ok now but ill keep you posted thanks .

On 08/03/2019 at 10:02, B B said:

I went over to sisters 7 this morning, lent her my car and i had a play with this saab, it started ok  starter a bit noisy but thats another issue, but ticking over fine left it running in the barn abot a half hour wile i made a cup of tea.

Went back out its fan is roaring away like it does.  Temp is barely off reast and car struggling to get up to temp, i went for a run in it sitting there was getting boring. 

Nothing changed usual so i came back home and got my code reader found the OBD port that was worriingly eassy to find and accesable, like perhaps they knew it would be needed LOTS! .

So diagnostics. SCAN .  bang , P0517 .  I then looked it up.  Was Temp sensor. I wiped the code and soon as i wiped it IGN still on but not running the fan switches on and straight away i noticed the temp gauge shooting up it went to just under half, the fan cut out i put cover back on Port put my reader away and went for another drive.

Its sat at just under half fan as not cut in once and heater is fine and coolant bottle slightly warmer to tuch like i would expect. I got one of those cheapo lazer temp guns they seem a gadget but do seem to detect temp changes i am going to use it on the expansion bottle keep an eye on it.

Just done ten miles in it heater off its not budged from just under half.

Sorry for the chapter but but recounting all the details, and it seems to me it may be ok now but ill keep you posted thanks .

My feelings that it was sorted were WRONG!  it turns out the saab as a couple of sensors and these through the ECU can trigger the cooling fan thus protecting the engine to some extent, but if the stat is stuck shut it will for quite some time fool you as it did me into believing its a sensor or stat stuck open. In fact if it had not been for the fan running relatively early on i doubt she would have noticed a fault on the relatively short runs she does in this weather.

Stat was stuck shut had sensor well one of them on the stat housing which is how the stat comes with the stat staked in to the housing.

Its warming up properly now runs just under half and apart from about 1ccs of water which dropped from the header tank level when i was testing it that night up the A1 its not loosing any water so think its escaped a disaster. wa a strange one for me this never come accross a car that can switch on fan and decide for itself which sensor it needs to take notice of, in the old days it would have shot up and you would have known more or less straight away.  All good stuff i supose these days so its not all bad this progress thing.

Modern cars are very good but complicated.

They have fail safes built in, limo mode being a favourite.

Being able to read codes and the car telling you what's wrong or faulty is a great time saver.

My Volvo had a fault on the abs that threw all sorts of warnings and messages.  To check all the sensors is a pain. Couple of minutes on diagnostic computer and front neat side wheel speed sensor fault. Lots of time saved and around hour easy fix.

Most Saab sensors are GM parts so can be bought for vauxhall online.

Edited by figgy