SMK SYNXS strip down

jantar

How do you mean no air in it ? 

The gun is a break barrel springer is it not ? 

Do you have a pellet stuck in the barrel ? Or the breach seal it missing ? 

Other that that id guess the piston seal is damaged and not alowing the piston to compress air .but even then you would still feel some air out of the barrel .? 

Sorry cant help with the strip down .but a spring compressor is always handy to have when doing a springer. Just incase its under a lot of preload .

Cheers, but being over 70 years I own  a full set of gun-smithing tools and have stripped many air rifles of all types and actions but never have come across this fault before. There is literally no sense of any compressed air at all once it has been cocked and the trigger pressed. It is owned by a small shooting club for which I am the Equipment Officer. The SMK SYNXS is a break barrel which was bought new but never shot and is now out of warranty.

By stating there was no air in it I meant there was no air from the action when shot. You can both feel and hear the piston travelling inside the compression cylinder but there is no air emitted from the action transfer port at all.

To answer your questions the barrel is clear, the breech seal is as new because the rifle had never been used at all. So new is it that the original SMK tie on label tag is still attached to the trigger guard. I requested some information of how it best stripped down because the information is not readily available on the web. Once I have repaired it I intend to post the information to assist others.

SMK SYNXS.JPG

Edited by jantar
Display picture of rifle

Ok. Well in that case i can only presume that there is no piston seal on the end of the piston at all .and its been ommited at manufacture.  So first thing id do is a search find out of they are available  to buy .or if some one does a drop in kit with it as a part. 

If not then i wouldnt bother with the strip on what is a cheapish  gun  and either scrap it or sell it. And save your time. 

I would have thought a piston seal could be bought as this is a pretty common spring gun platform across a few brands 

Might be worth an ask on the chinese airgun forum. ? 

Cheers, I will try to obtain one from Chambers or perhaps a kit from TR Robb. Its not a rifle I would have considered buying, in fact any of the basic SMK ones. The only SMK I did have and fully tuned was the SMK 19/18XS and that once the TR Robb kit had been installed was good enough for HFT.

Now onto the strip down. I have also now been informed of the shop from which it was bought so I will be paying them a visit considering that they apparently supplied all of the club ones either new or used.

Hi ho.

strange.....:hmm:very interested to see what the problem is........if indeed there is no compression....DONT DRY FIRE IT ANYMORE...as the piston head/cap will slam into the end of the compression chamber ...and there will be damage

hello, despite being out of warranty i would take back to shop, it is obvious a problem from manufacture, they could send back to sports marketing, if you say you buy from this shop air rifles and presume pellets so get a refund to go on a better make, sometimes budget rifles like SMK are not the best for target shooting, that why many buy and strip down put in a tinbum tune kit, most for hunting,  if the shop wants your future custom i am sure they would do, well you would hope so, good luck  

Spent a few hours stripping it down and it was nightmare to do. Its the worst strip down I have ever had the misfortune to do. It was designed by some idiot who had no forethought that at some point it would need to be disassembled to be repaired! The trigger group is a Chinese puzzle, the pre-tension on the mainspring can be measured in inches not millimetres, the safety catch is near on impossible to remove without damaging the spring (much the same as the 2 in the trigger), in fact the easiest ans most straightforward removal was the stock and barrel assembly. Why the hell the trigger group was not designed as a separate detachable unit defies belief because it would have saved so much time in manufacturing assembly plus any future repairs.

Add to the difficulties that the grease they used was as hard as plastic, stunk and took an age to clean off everywhere it had been. 

Ah well, its a lesson learned and its back to the re-assembly tomorrow. At least it is now cleaned. 

Just got to work out how the hell the trigger group and safety fit back together because they have to be assembled piece by piece while it is being re-assembled.

Would I buy one or recommend one to anyone? NEVER never never. Even the B2 Original was easier to work on but my favourite is the 19-18XS.

Stripped down.JPG

So it does have a piston seal on the end .

Is it damaged ? Or is the compression tube it runs in ,bent or have wide spots that drop the air pressure as the piston travels forward. ?? 

Last guess .

Someone (manufacturers) have drilled the transfer port way too large so the piston cant compress the air ?

Would make no difference if it had been left whole because it would not have been accepted for exchange by them. When its out of warranty that becomes a hand washing job as far as it goes.Best I can do now is to recommend that a change of supplier is made.

I will keep this post going until its back together and working as it should, or better with luck and help from SMK tech dept.

If they do not reply then it is their loss because I will not have any more to do with them. Perhaps if everyone with a problem with their products formally complained publicly online they might start to take customer service seriously.

I will keep my progress posted though. Seriously this SYNXS is a total piece of engineering ****. Even at £75 its not value for money in any respect. Typical Chinese **** is what it is and we should give up and coming newbie youngsters better equipment that they can appreciate instead of **** that lets them down across the board.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

yes keep us imformed..............i shall have no trouble compessing air tomorrow as im having a vindaloo to-nite..

😄 Wouldn't that be Vindapoo though? Its faggots for me so maybe one down the barrel would work.

Unfortunately smk probably wont give a tosh if you never buy from them again and will be happy if you just bunger off as a customer .

This has been mine and many others experience of them as a company .

Just saying-  wouldnt waste your time .

Problem is smk arent gun manufacturers. They make nothing .

They are just middle men (box movers)

And they dont sell direct or deal with the end user (customer ).this allows them to not care about that persons problems .they also dont pass on your issues to the manufacturer,as they are thousands of miles away in china .and also dont want to hear from you or smk about issues .

When you buy a very cheap imported chinese gun your on your own .its cheap for a reason .

Its rubbish and you get zero backup 

Where you should spend your money is on good british guns .keep the money in the uk and do us all a massive favour .

You also get a far superior product and loads of back up .

So next time your in the market for an airgun look at bsa .airarms ,daystate ,Brocock  first .

PLEASE 

Edited by Ultrastu

Lack of SMK support, lack of parts diagrams, lack of any help at all from them! Seems like this one was about as bad as they could make it too! When stripped it took being put in oven at 120C to literally melt the hardened grease on its internals. It stunk too. Loads of white spirit used to get rid of the remainder then a good inspection, polish off the rough edges where present (everywhere) and re-lube. Its back together finally and the safety catch as others have reported is hit and miss so I might just take it out altogether and blank the holes. Its a disappointing rifle at best, accuracy is not bad but the power is 563 FPS = 5 Ft/Lbs using 9.3 Panther domed. Still cannot understand why there is so much pre-load (almost 70mm) on the spring for such a **** poor power level! Its a DOG!

To answer your request  I can only assume that it was the hard as rocks grease it was packed with causing the problem. More like candlewax than a lubricant.

Pleased its done now and I can forget it. Forget SMK too if at possible, they can shove these cheapo's where the sun don't shine!

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Unfortunately smk probably wont give a tosh if you never buy from them again and will be happy if you just bunger off as a customer .

This has been mine and many others experience of them as a company .

Just saying-  wouldnt waste your time .

Problem is smk arent gun manufacturers. They make nothing .

They are just middle men (box movers)

And they dont sell direct or deal with the end user (customer ).this allows them to not care about that persons problems .they also dont pass on your issues to the manufacturer,as they are thousands of miles away in china .and also dont want to hear from you or smk about issues .

When you buy a very cheap imported chinese gun your on your own .its cheap for a reason .

Its rubbish and you get zero backup 

Where you should spend your money is on good british guns .keep the money in the uk and do us all a massive favour .

You also get a far superior product and loads of back up .

So next time your in the market for an airgun look at bsa .airarms ,daystate ,Brocock  first .

PLEASE 

These rifles are not mine cos I wouldn't give them house room. They are used at a range to learn others safety and basic shooting. All of mine are  quality (Daystate, Weihrauch, Walther etc because I know that you get what you pay for. It does sadden me though that I have to work on **** belonging to others at times to keep things moving! 

So - for other peoples information - your contract has NOTHING  to do with SMK, your contract is with whoever you paid the money to. Your supplier MUST repair or replace this gun if it is, I would estimate, less than 3 years old - that's the LAW plain and simple. Unfortunately very few people know just how powerful their consumer rights are - as soon as a company start banging on about warranty you know they are extracting the urine. White goods are usually offered with a years warranty - your consumer rights say up to 7 years. As an added form of protection ALWAYS pay for anything you buy over £100 with a credit card - you have massive protection under the consumer credit act - if you bought a £10k car and just paid £101 deposit then the whole amount is protected - as soon as you get home pay off the credit card - protection is still valid.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

So - for other peoples information - your contract has NOTHING  to do with SMK, your contract is with whoever you paid the money to. Your supplier MUST repair or replace this gun if it is, I would estimate, less than 3 years old - that's the LAW plain and simple. Unfortunately very few people know just how powerful their consumer rights are - as soon as a company start banging on about warranty you know they are extracting the urine. White goods are usually offered with a years warranty - your consumer rights say up to 7 years. As an added form of protection ALWAYS pay for anything you buy over £100 with a credit card - you have massive protection under the consumer credit act - if you bought a £10k car and just paid £101 deposit then the whole amount is protected - as soon as you get home pay off the credit card - protection is still valid.

Ah but many of the problem rifles are well under a £100.00 so are not covered. Add to that many are also bought with cash too. - the fact is that SMK are constantly getting away with poor customer service and support even to Registered Firearms Dealers so it would only be truly redressed if Joe Public set the stance that they were not going to buy any of the cheaper (why not them all) SMK rifles until they provided a decent level of Customer Service and support. Any company losing so many customers and sales would soon come to their senses.

At no time did I ask for a refund or exchange knowing it was not possible as it was out of warranty. All I requested was some information which has not been responded to and now realise that SMK will never reply to anyone requesting information. I am pleased that this rifle did not belong to me but by good luck and engineering skill is now fully operational again.

GAMO (BSA) on the other hand do give an excellent Customer Service and Support so why not kick SMK into touch and buy these which are far higher quality anyway.

Edited by jantar
further information

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Not covered by the consumer credit Act but still very much covered by your consumer rights.

To make myself clear I only requested information on how to repair this rifle. I did not request irrelevant information pertaining to the laws which do not govern external countries who have no 'pact' with the UK.

To respond to your advice I requested information from Trading Standards and they told me that if it is a single person making a claim then they cannot act unless its for a huge amount because it would be uncertain to reach the courts. Their best advice was to contact that TV consumer rights program to see if they would take it on. I did and received very much the same response, namely that it would take multiple complainants before they would consider opening a case file.

They also informed me that if the RFD/retailer/supplier was merely an agent (which they are) not the wholesaler of the manufacturer who is based in another country outside of the UK or EU then the 'Act' is not covered or applicable.

In real life not all 'Acts' work as they should, just the same as real life there are always hiccups and failures in both the Law and Acts to some and the minority always tend to be overlooked.

That sums up my enquiries and research for assistance so its pointless to offer more advice which is not relevant outside of the UK or EU. Fortunately I have repaired the rifle without any help from the manufacturer, their agents or this forum though I will give advice to anyone who requests it on my 'How To' procedure of its repair. That said I doubt if anyone would wish to attempt it. I do thank those who responded and understood that although trying to advise on the repair they just did not have the knowledge I requested.

Thats all. Cheers

On 08/03/2019 at 18:12, Ultrastu said:

Smk as a company to deal with are famously bad ..... no a stronger word is required.🤔

Anyway .please keep us informed and id like to know why it wont compress air .

Cheers 

I have to say that in my dealings with SMK I have found them to be just about the best supplier I use!

I'm not talking about their products as we all know that they sell cheap nasty products at cheap prices (not entirely true as the Victory and Artemis ranges are very good) but the service I receive and can then pass onto my customers is great.

If there is a fault it's either repared or replaced in a couple of days.

With the OP I would have taken the gun back and swapped it for one off the shelf and SMK would have replaced it for me. If I didn't have one I would have called SMK there and then, got one posted out usually the same day and sent the faulty one back.

SMK are as pointed out not manufacturers but "box movers", however they do have a workshop and people who know the products that they sell and how to remedy problems. Maybe that's because they have a lot of problems!?

The lack of info provided to the OP was probably because without being the manufacturer they simply didn't know. I'm surprised that there wasn't a reply at all, that would be common courtesy.

Overall I get very good service from SMK and whilst I agree that "buy British", "buy cheap buy twice" and "it's cheap for a reason" are all applicable in this case paying more for something is simply not an option for many. How many of you have a British made car, tv, phone, light bulbs in your house? It's not always that easy.

Just my take on it.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley