Straddling a Dyke

Now the weather forcast was for a  bright blue sky for Saturday as we set out in the rain at 08.00 in search of the elusive pigeon. We had a few ideas where we would find some birds. So as we drove down the edge of fifty acres of rape we lifted a few birds ( Fifty) and we watched as they disappeared into the distance. Then the fun started as the Disco decide to slide to the left as we drove back along the muddy wet track pushing us into an ancient sheep track the drovers have used for centuries which is approx twenty feet deep. So a quick reverse and drive up the field on the more solid ground on the tram tracks. We drove to our second choice and parked up and walked the field with all the birds down at the furthest field of five. Now the wind today was not the normal direction and cold, this put the birds in an area between two large houses and we knew we would attract major agrevation, so move on.. So drive to another rape farm and find approx three hundred birds feeding hard on the rape. Now this rape is not on our permission but we were tempted to shoot the grass field they were crossing to get to the rape. We went to see our farmer to get the details of the rape farmer. Which he gave us but no phone number so a ten mile drive to his farm. His wife told us he would be ten minutes so we waited. Twenty minutes later he returned and told us his mates would be shooting it today!!!!!

As time was getting on we decided to drive to our furthest permission and work our way back. As we were checking the three large rape fields on one farm. Two had nothing at all but the third had approx  two hundred down hard in the centre of the rape due to the strong wind. Now this field had a dyke running across its centre and in high wind the birds tend to fly low following the contour of the land so the best place to shoot is out of the dyke. Some readers may remember me shooting this position before as the title caused a little titter with some members.

So we set ourselves up with the normal set up of ten fresh birds on spikes and two on the magnet which with the high wind was being buffeted all over the place. It was now 14.00 and we had completed fifty miles in search of our quarry. The big problem was the birds were coming to the decoys in groups of twenty to fifty, DB had his auto and managed six " Threes" with the number of birds approachng. We could see the bird holding off in a small wood not on our permision so I would put two shots directly at it and lift the bird who eventually would decoy.

We finished shooting at 17.00 and picked up one hundred and twenty birds for the picture, the dog found another two after, so it was a good day in the end.

100-3377.jpg

120 Pigeons in the picture, the dog found two more after.

Edited by pigeon controller

Anyone shooting in yesterday conditions deserve a pat on the back for the endurance test against very strong winds and at times heavy showers .

One thing I noticed was your co partner getting six trebles ( threes ) in those conditions was something else and he must be a very tidy and agile shot , so a very big well done to DB.

The trouble is now if we are honest is expecting you two getting three figure bags every week , I along with the vast majority of members would find it nigh on impossible and we can only admire and applaud the workload , effort and skill it take to achieve to get bags like you do week in and week out in all the weather conditions this country can produce .

WELL DONE 

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Anyone shooting in yesterday conditions deserve a pat on the back for the endurance test against very strong winds and at times heavy showers .

One thing I noticed was your co partner getting six trebles ( threes ) in those conditions was something else and he must be a very tidy and agile shot , so a very big well done to DB.

The trouble is now if we are honest is expecting you two getting three figure bags every week , I along with the vast majority of members would find it nigh on impossible and we can only admire and applaud the workload , effort and skill it take to achieve to get bags like you do week in and week out in all the weather conditions this country can produce .

WELL DONE 

Thanks Marsh Man, I'm not saying we are special in any way but we have shot together for over thirty years and we met during a fishing session and found we are of like minds with respect to not sitting back waiting for it to happen but to change things to make it happen.

We seem to be able to read a field and know it will produce or have sufficient birds to make it produce, when we pick up shot birds we will look from the field back to the hide and change things that do not appear to be natural. On poor weather days we concentrate on getting a good pattern for the afternoon feed as the birds in our opinion need food the keep warm through the roost.

Thank you all  for your comments and I hope my attempts of humour and instruction help to encourage others to think outside the box and try methods and not be " robotic" in the pattern set up and " remember what's works" 

You mentioned DB's shooting, yes he is a good shot and the position of the hide was perfect for 360' shooting and also with the birds coming in large groups allowed him to shoot in three's. He hates shooting under trees which restrict his line of fire, but sometimes you have to as that is where the birds want to be.

11 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

That is very impressive 

A man finding a use for a dyke!

It was a thought

Edited by pigeon controller

3 hours ago, aga man said:

Fair play PC, you still get a great result whilst many others struggle [ me included! ]. Those pigeons look to be in great condition.

There Dead, Don't get much wrse than that 😞

Nice lineup..

Edited by Snoozer