Chokes

strimmer_13

Does it matter what brand chokes you use? 

What i mean is this and bare with me, ive always had guns with fixed chokes so im clueless, can i fit browning invector plus chokes in my winchester, or does it HAVE to be winchester invector plus? I see makers names infront of chokes, miroku, beretta, browning ect but rarely winchester. Just wondering if a browning would fit as they seem plentiful 

Any help greatful

Matt

Makes no diference what is writen on chokes, winchester SX3s use the broveng INV plus choke thread, and if you use same thread tubes makes no odds on fit what brand as long as its INV plus tube thead you use in your winchester.
  Fixed chokes work fine but you can not eassily change choke performance so you have to try and pick a gun has a suitable choking for what you want to do as in a fixed full, or compromise on your ranges with say a mod choke and try and pick or reload ammo that enhances the choke you have in your guns performance if you can that is.

Aftermarket choke tubes like Trulock SRM Patternmaster Indian creek Briley Carlsens kicks and others are sometimes exeptional performers for certain tasks the SRM terror chokes and jebs for example have a little more constriction than is typical and can prove to be good, so as long as tubes you use are INV plus simply take your pick of the crop.

Thanks for that, its something i didnt know and felt to dumb to ask

👍

Matt

54 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Makes no diference what is writen on chokes, winchester SX3s use the broveng INV plus choke thread, and if you use same thread tubes makes no odds on fit what brand as long as its INV plus tube thead you use in your winchester.
  Fixed chokes work fine but you can not eassily change choke performance so you have to try and pick a gun has a suitable choking for what you want to do as in a fixed full, or compromise on your ranges with say a mod choke and try and pick or reload ammo that enhances the choke you have in your guns performance if you can that is.

Aftermarket choke tubes like Trulock SRM Patternmaster Indian creek Briley Carlsens kicks and others are sometimes exeptional performers for certain tasks the SRM terror chokes and jebs for example have a little more constriction than is typical and can prove to be good, so as long as tubes you use are INV plus simply take your pick of the crop.

Jesus just looked at you profile pic! Do i make that 31?! 

I've a wheen of Inv + chokes bought off here and elsewhere 2nd hand. They pop up quite frequently.  

The Browning factory versions are quite open in comparison to the Carlson Briley & Teague chokes I have, the Browning full is patterning similar to the Carlson half, the teague 3/8 patterns tighter than both, currently 3/8 & 3/8 for sporting, 3/8 & 7/8 for trap (with Fioochi FBLU 28g Italian 7.5). 

Keep an eye out for 2nd hand chokes, but I'd avoid the Browning chokes.   

31 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

And a 1/4 is a 1/4 and a 1/2 is 1/2 etc doesn't matter brand or cost they all do the same amount of constricting!

Definitely not the case! Some are closer to what they should throw some can be a long way away from what they should be!

Edited by farmer7

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:

And a 1/4 is a 1/4 and a 1/2 is 1/2 etc doesn't matter brand or cost they all do the same amount of constricting!

Constriction in itself is only part of what makes a choke work add to this the Imp Cylinder Modified Imp Modified terms and it adds even more confusion to the subject .  The generally accepted guide of  Recognised measurements of  Under nominal bore size of 10 thou 1/4 20 thou 1/2 30 though 3/4 and 40 thou full .were never more than a guide and no guarantee whatsoever they will throw typical patterns down to constriction alone. choke length bore size and a whole host of other variables including speed pressure powder burn rate to name just a few make things very complex.

Now for properly regulated guns, such guns by the better gun makers were just that regulated to produce patterns that fell squarely in the accepted percentages of these specific chokes.   With the dawn of multi chokes things became good in that it was now possible to change choke constriction relatively fast and cheap with less restriction if need be without the loss of more choke at another time or situation should the need arise, made guns more versatile. But with many multichokes in the early days the longer choke constrictions disapeared as on many of the old fixed choke guns, with just a few exeptions the Breda screw on choke tubes were longer as the constriction was tighter so with full choke you had about 3.5 inch constriction yet the true cylinder was flush with the muzzle screw collar.

As multichokes progressed we are where we are today with chokes of many types ported radial ported double taper wad lock straight rifled restrictor chokes the list is endless today and many dedicated chokes can have constrictions way tighter than ever seen before and produced for harder less forgiving non toxic type shots which again adds yet more complication into pressures velocity and pattern percentage variations compared to how lead responds to choke.

So one 1/4 choke vs another1/4 its business as usual regarding chokes i am afraid, use constriction as a rough guide but only real way of knowing what any choke of any given type constriction will do is to pattern it then you will know exactly what its doing.

7 hours ago, B B said:

use constriction as a rough guide but only real way of knowing what any choke of any given type constriction will do is to pattern it then you will know exactly what its doing.

^^ This.

Also, different makes/loads/types of cartridge/ammunition will pattern differently in the same gun/choke.

Find a combination of cartridge/choke that gives you confidence ......... then get on and enjoy your shooting.

Personally I use mainly fixed choke guns, my one multichoke never gets changed.  I don't worry about the chokes.  I know I miss far far more through 'human error' than any 'problem' with chokes.