Gun cleaning

getthegat

I was just wondering, as so many of us have semi autos, how far down do you strip your guns and how often. Apart from the barrel and rings, to go much further it seems the only way is to knock out pins or undo screws, which I feel is something that can only be done so many times, before said items become worn. I always use a spray gun oil and squirt the bolt, into the firing pin and all moving parts, then wipe off the excess. My guns rarely get filthy or wet and they are pretty much cleaned after every use. Lately I have noticed a slight knochiness on my Franchi Raptor 20 bore, it's not old but wonder if it's something I should be concerned about. It still cycles and performs perfectly, but my mechanical brain is telling me to investigate. Also, why does gun oil smell so strong?

If you're spraying oil into the firing pin hole and bolt a little spray let's out a lot of oil. I'd say far too much. It'll be collecting all sorts of grit and powder residue. My semi autos only get a very light oiling. If you strip it down clean it all thoroughly and lightly oil the notchiness would probably disappear. My bolt and mechanism certainly doesn't get oiled every time. 

1 hour ago, farmer7 said:

If you're spraying oil into the firing pin hole and bolt a little spray let's out a lot of oil. I'd say far too much. It'll be collecting all sorts of grit and powder residue. My semi autos only get a very light oiling. If you strip it down clean it all thoroughly and lightly oil the notchiness would probably disappear. My bolt and mechanism certainly doesn't get oiled every time. 

Yes spraying delivers to much oil I clean the barrel every time and just wipe everything else as above I will strip it down completely about every 1000 cartridges there are some great how to videos on you tube I find just a spot of oil on the end of your finger goes a long way when oiling guns, a gun smith once told me he had seen more guns destroyed with kindness (to much oil) than misuse.

Interesting. I feel too much oil could be, as suggested, a bad thing here and I am guilty of too much love. I'm probably harping back to the days when leaving metal parts un-oiled, meant surface rust, whereas today's guns with superior coatings obviously fare much better. I'll be checking out some YouTube clips so that I can strip them down sufficiently to remove any particles and over oiling. Many thanks guys.

If you get a can of air duster you can blow any powder and dust out of the trigger and bolt, wipe it over and a tiny drop of oil on slide rails from a needle oiler. Barrel gets pulled through the outside wiped with oily rag and that's it after every outing. That's for my Benelli I oy fully strip it when I can see it's getting or feeling mucky and the bolt don't feel as smooth to pull.

The Browning Maxus I use for wildfowling gets all gas parts cleaned with barrel swabbed out action and rails wiped clean and re oiled on assembly, no oil on firing pin. Trigger gets blown out no oil. That's after everytime I shoot it. I like to keep my guns clean and oiled.

I use a product called zero friction in a needle bottle, I will last year's as it only puts a tiny spot of oil out.