Which clay carts

Any recommendations on clay carts to consider please. 

Previously used at one club (where you had to use their carts) Lyevale Express 28g 7 1/2 - thought they were rubbish -  constantly threw confetti everywhere which I thought was the sign of a bad quality wad - surely that can’t help? 🤷‍♂️

Have recently be using some white gold - 28g size 8’s (UK size 7 1/2 I believe) - found them a little bit punchy but shot ok with them. My BIL didn’t find them punchy but does have a limbsaver pad on his gun. 

My brother in law and I have found a new ground thats a bit closer for us both to meet and can use plastic wads too - apparently these will pattern better? We have only ever used fibre before. 

We will need to buy a new supply of carts soon for the summer shooting, is it worth looking at the cheaper carts? 

When I worked out the difference (when buying per 1000) there is only a saving of something like 60p a box (of 25) between a budget type cart and the white golds which are supposedly very good. 

Just cartrides have CSP club (their own brand) for £199 per 1000 with fibre but their “competition” ones are £238. 

Works out at £5 a box for club and £5.95 for their competition. 

As said before, if we shoot every other weekend, it would cost an extra £4 a month to shoot the “better” cartridges. 

Is there really that much difference between the cartridges? 

Or are some people just shooting so often / so many clays that it all adds up? 

i shoot clays at my local club once a month and use my shotgun a little bit for other shooting. would i notice the difference between budget cartridges and competition? very doubtful to be fair. i think a lot of people get hung up on chokes and cartridges when reality is it is more to do with being consistent than worrying about cartridge/choke combination. i think if you are of a very high standard competition shooter then it would make a difference.

but then i am very tight and would generally go for cheapest:lol:

43 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

I find Hull Pro one very good, but then I rarely shoot clays.

I read Hull Sporting 100 are supposed to be much softer shooting and good 🤔

37 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

i shoot clays at my local club once a month and use my shotgun a little bit for other shooting. would i notice the difference between budget cartridges and competition? very doubtful to be fair. i think a lot of people get hung up on chokes and cartridges when reality is it is more to do with being consistent than worrying about cartridge/choke combination. i think if you are of a very high standard competition shooter then it would make a difference.

but then i am very tight and would generally go for cheapest

What carts you get mate? How do you buy them?

If you buy the odd box at the clay ground, which I imagine some people do because you just spend a few quid as you go rather than a big outlay, then it’s still about £6 a box for budget stuff. 

Works put the same/similar price if you buy in bulk.  

24 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I read Hull Sporting 100 are supposed to be much softer shooting and good 🤔

What carts you get mate? How do you buy them?

If you buy the odd box at the clay ground, which I imagine some people do because you just spend a few quid as you go rather than a big outlay, then it’s still about £6 a box for budget stuff. 

Works put the same/similar price if you buy in bulk.  

i get them at trade price so a little different for me . i bought 2000 and clays last time i think for the club which was a saving but not huge. but even then there is very little mark up on cartridges unlike other sporting goods. 

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Never hear any complaints about Hull superfast or CompX. 

Not the cheapest though.

Edd

Yeah I use hull super fast no problems with them ,I've used lyvale express before but had a lot of misfires, so ditched them

I can get the hsf for £186 per 1000,at my local gun shop,

41 minutes ago, besty57 said:

Yeah I use hull super fast no problems with them ,I've used lyvale express before but had a lot of misfires, so ditched them

I can get the hsf for £186 per 1000,at my local gun shop,

That's cheap!

Who has them at that price?

Edd

Don't overthink things. Most cartridges will be better and more consistent than you are. Just get yourself some Gamebore Velocity or something, and go from there. Once you are shooting over 90 or more on sporting, then have a rethink.

11 minutes ago, motty said:

Don't overthink things. Most cartridges will be better and more consistent than you are. Just get yourself some Gamebore Velocity or something, and go from there. Once you are shooting over 90 or more on sporting, then have a rethink.

90% ? 

Jesus if I was shooting that I’d give up and die a happy man 😂

The las 

lot our little group,bought was Lyalavle Sporter, gamemebore Ve, Comp X

All,28/7.5/fibre

came in at £189/1000 I think we got 4000

Cmp X are a little easier on the shoulder BUT we havnt noticed that much difference/hit more clays

most of us only shoot clays. One shoots feather when he gets the chance 

I am lead to believe the trick is not with mixing/matching carts/chokes BUt getting the shot and the Clay to ,be in the same place at the same time

13 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

😅😅

hey wheres my name you rascal give you mine cheap and not a word

Are you doing clays carts George?

do you come to Bristol? What’s the delivery cost etc? 

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

George he doesn't deserve your wonderful cartridges!

Keeping them all for yourself? 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Are you doing clays carts George?

do you come to Bristol? What’s the delivery cost etc? 

Thanks 

can do mine on the factory are 200   with good gear as you no 5 k and i will stand the postage   next day   best ring 07714 323 909    cheers   george

15 minutes ago, figgy said:

Find a cheap easy to get cartridge and stick with it. If you shoot bad its you not the carts. Swapping and changing carts all the timecan slow your progress.

George are you loading clay carts again?

whey  eye man    200    to people in the monkey hanging area       best of gear    if you  can shoot of course      cheers   george 07714 323 909