Any Audi r8 owners

eddoakley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always fancied an R8 - they appear to be the only super car that you can actually use.

Problem our way is that most are owned / sold by flashy young gentleman of a particular type (innit bruv, ya get me) who don’t look after them at all. So buying ‘one owner from new’ (and you are buying in to the seller, not the car) is a must, having particular regard to the likely and possible repair bills.

I’ve got a mate whose a copper who loves old Bentleys and Rollers and his motto is that if the person selling it couldn’t afford to fix a big problem on it, then chances are they are selling it with a big problem in mind which they are now trying to duck out of.

I sacked off the idea of an R8 just because I am too old and too fat to get in and out of one and an RS6 is a much better bet, although with either car you make yourself a target and it disappearing off your driveway (and such is the world we now live in).

56 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Anyone here have an r8?

Was offered one this week at what I think is reasonable money and I've always fancied one.

Apart from me being to old and fat for one what should I be looking out for?

Thanks

Edd

Speeding Camera's

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Anyone here have an r8?

Was offered one this week at what I think is reasonable money and I've always fancied one.

Apart from me being too old and fat for one what should I be looking out for?

Thanks

Edd

Main dealer Service history is important, was there a chain or belt replacement that needs done at a certain mileage/age that’s crazy money, check it’s not been totalled and put back on the road! 

So normal things like full main dealer service history is very desirable.....check the history as it should be serviced every year but often people do it at two year intervals due to the low mileage they've done.

So things to look out for are shocks wear out prematurely due to the 'mag ride' so check for leaks/misting on shocks (you can send them to Poland for reconditioning)....before 2012 they can develop a crack in the chassis, after 2012 they put strengthening plates in, also if the air conditioning compressor fails it's can be an engine out job due to it's location and depending on V8 or V10 is a 10-40 hour job so check the air conditioning is working.

If you google any of the above key words you will get more details.

Also if your interested in it get it booked into Audi for a FREE....Yes FREE health check they give it a once over to see if it needs any work doing. Go to audi.co.uk and do a search on health checks.....

Surprisingly for a 'super car' they are on the cheaper side to maintain as they share some components with other Audi's....don't get me wrong compared to running a Ford Focus it's expensive bu not a Ferrari or Lambo !!

Good luck!

Edited by prem1234

5 minutes ago, prem1234 said:

So normal things like full main dealer service history is very desirable.....check the history as it should be serviced every year but often people do it at two year intervals due to the low mileage they've done.

So things to look out for are shocks wear out prematurely due to the 'mag ride' so check for leaks/misting on shocks (you can send them to Poland for reconditioning)....before 2012 they can develop a crack in the chassis, after 2012 they put strengthening plates in, also if the air conditioning compressor fails it's can be an engine out job due to it's location and depending on V8 or V10 is a 10-40 hour job so check the air conditioning is working.

If you google any of the above key words you will get more details.

Also if your interested in it get it booked into Audi for a FREE....Yes FREE health check they give it a once over to see if it needs any work doing. Go to audi.co.uk and do a search on health checks.....

Surprisingly for a 'super car' they are on the cheaper side to maintain as they share some components with other Audi's....don't get me wrong compared to running a Ford Focus it's expensive bu not a Ferrari or Lambo !!

Good luck!

Some useful tips there, thanks.

Especially the free audi health check.

I've fancied one of these for a long time and wasn't looking for one but know someone selling one and now I'm really tempted again.

Super car at sensible(ish) money.

Will see about the health check and make a decision after that.

Cheers

Edd

4 hours ago, prem1234 said:

Yes sounds good Edd.....certainly it will get plenty of attention where ever you go in it 👍

Not interested in the slightest about attention. I like the sound and the look of them, always did but never thought I'd spent that much in a toy.

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Super car then it has to be a 911 turbo 

I have been looking at 911's. From the very early to much more recent and every one is cool in its own way. But everyone keeps telling me that I would be disappointed in one after the more luxurious cayenne.

Edd

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

911 are not without problems even the newer ones.

Older ones rust like any old car.

The Audi R8 V10 is the one to have for performance but the V8 should be cheaper to run.

It's a v8 that I've been offered, more than enough performance for me.

I'm seriously considering it but wondering if I will be happy with my a$$ on the road. It's been a while since I have had anything apart from a 4x4....

Edd

Only one way to find out, give it a road test.

That type of car are no longer for me, just too easy to go over the speed limit without realising.

I prefer the comfort and size of 4x4 these days, have thought about a little fun open top sports car where your going forty and it feels like ninety would be fun for summer weekends. Then remember how hard they are to get in and out of.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:53, blackbird said:

If you don’t have very very deep pockets for repairs leave well alone.

+1

I don't know about the Audi R8 but I do know about high performance Mercs and they drop like a stone in price because they are totally reliant on complex electronics that cost the earth to repair. You have to be brave / stupid / rich preferably all three

My mate has had far to many cars and most were remarkably expensive to run and just as fast as the women they tended to attract. The one he settled on was the lotus Elise. Having been out with him for a drive I can see why. The handling was superb and the little thing went like a rocket. Probably the most fun ive had in a car. Worth a look if it's a fun car your looking for and you can bank the savings for carts and diesel for the 4x4. 

The problem with these cars, they are one trick ponies and not very practical at all; at least with an RS3 for example you get four wheel drive and can fit in passengers and stuff in the boot. 

I am a firm believer that if I had power without four wheel drive I would end up in a ditch; years ago a spun an M3 accelerating under power up a slip road - back just went and that was that.

never got the 911 thing just an over powered beetle :) think with a lot of used modern quick stuff ,if your not hands on with repairs and servicing they can become a very expensive lesson. 

Big fan of the Audi R8.👍

was looking at V10 M5 's last year seem to have weak  bottom end  so cheap second hand performance option only if you can fix em inhouse.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

The V10 M5 needs lots of work to keep them running, but that sound of a V10 howling is addictive.

yes the list of expensive failure points on them would put anyone off buying one especially if you had to pay someone to repair it.

biggest issue  would be keeping me licence for more than a week during my mid life crisis  :)

Edited by Remimax

Looked at three GTR's a four years ago in a sports car garage. 

Fast they maybe, nice inside they are not. It was all plastics and playstation dashboard. Like a pumped up Nissan Micra.

My son loves them, I think they're ugly.

Salesman said they're awful to drive in towns heavy and jerky,  but the best fun for for your money for a blast at full chat. Said your hair will stand up.

Also not cheap to run either. 

15 hours ago, Remimax said:

never got the 911 thing just an over powered beetle :) think with a lot of used modern quick stuff ,if your not hands on with repairs and servicing they can become a very expensive lesson. 

Big fan of the Audi R8.👍

was looking at V10 M5 's last year seem to have weak  bottom end  so cheap second hand performance option only if you can fix em inhouse.

go drive one..over powered beetle is a daft line from Autocar circa 1979.....

if you want reliable sheep in wolves look at RS audi/BMW M4.

If you like driving dependent upon budget 911 997 turbo.I reckon you'll get your male menopause and be able to sell it with tiny depreciation. R8 will cane you on depreciation.

My male menopause looked like this Caterham/Elise/M3/M5/RS4/TTRS/911s(x3)430/458/Cayman S...I would'nt fit in 1st ones anymore! If you want a practical supercar/where service bills don't require donating a kidney the 911 is hands down the best car. If you want a penile extension then 458,but expect every car to want to race you and service bills of £5000p.a. average and big depreciation over 3 years......oh and it ain't quicker than a 911 turbo. Personally never took to the R8 looks...but they do sound right..test drive a 911.at very least you then have a proper benchmark. If you want a more understated but great drivers car Cayman is massively under-rated and cheap!

Have fun.

Lots of suggestions of great cars but also a lot more money than an old r8.

It's seems that the line "a proper super car that you can use every day" comes up quite often. Servicing is reasonable and the biggest factor is I want one.

I wanted a TT when they first came out and instead of buying one I bought a house. Waited a couple of years and bought a "cheap" used one.

£100k for an r8 was never going to happen but I can find the cash for the one my mate is selling.

But maybe I'm just too sensible?!?

I have a car that (if I ever actually drive it) has enough performance and luxury to keep me happy. Mrs Edd has a car that suits her. I have trucks for shooting. We have all bases covered.

Discussing this with Mrs Edd who reminded me that I planned to buy a plane for my birthday this year....certainly won't be doing both so have put the r8 idea on the back burner......for now.

Edd

9 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Discussing this with Mrs Edd who reminded me that I planned to buy a plane for my birthday this year....certainly won't be doing both so have put the r8 idea on the back burner......for now.

Sound advice !

But if the itch becomes too much, hire one for a week, and get it out your system.

https://www.limobroker.co.uk/our-cars/audi-r8-hire-cardiff.htm