Knife crime.

fatchap

Not had the best weekend, In the light of recent tragic events around Harold Hill, My hobby of making knives has made me quite unpopular over my local pub. People I have known for years giving me grief while I'm trying to enjoy a quiet pint.
People asking how do I sleep at night knowing I make items of MURDER, seriously? I make tools for hunting and fishing. And I only make them for people I know personally or the few I have made for guys on here, I can be pretty sure they are not gang members and will use the knife for what it is intended.
I can understand feelings running high obviously but the way I see it a drunk driver who mows down a pedestrian, its not the pub that sold him the beer thats at fault or the maker of the car to blame its the person themselves, but try telling people around here that who even after a week of that young girl getting stabbed, which happened 50 yards from my house are still looking for someone to blame.
I think I will stay out of the local until things calm down a bit, I shouldn't have to as I haven't done anything wrong but I think its a healthy plan.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Not had the best weekend, In the light of recent tragic events around Harold Hill, My hobby of making knives has made me quite unpopular over my local pub. People I have known for years giving me grief while I'm trying to enjoy a quiet pint.
People asking how do I sleep at night knowing I make items of MURDER, seriously? I make tools for hunting and fishing. And I only make them for people I know personally or the few I have made for guys on here, I can be pretty sure they are not gang members and will use the knife for what it is intended.
I can understand feelings running high obviously but the way I see it a drunk driver who mows down a pedestrian, its not the pub that sold him the beer thats at fault or the maker of the car to blame its the person themselves, but try telling people around here that who even after a week of that young girl getting stabbed, which happened 50 yards from my house are still looking for someone to blame.
I think I will stay out of the local until things calm down a bit, I shouldn't have to as I haven't done anything wrong but I think its a healthy plan.

Find another drinking hole!

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i feel your pain ...........................

im in a different position here................the pubs have all closed down.......the young kids have gone to the city...and im billy no mates.......

Least you can't fall out with anyone then. and if you do , you must be one miserable sob.

Yes the Knife crime seems to be getting out of hand but you don't see Tesco's etc removing kitchen knives off the shelves etc.

Unfortunately it sounds like those peoples have narrow minds rather than having the capacity to really understand the issues and it's not your craft that's contributing to the death toll...

What I say to myself is do i respect their opinion or hold them in high regard ? If no let them get on with it and think what they like as I'm not interested in their bigoted views.

people aren't buying expensive bespoke knives to stab each other, their using kitchen knives and whatever else they can put their hands on.

I really don't understand the reason for the number of stabbings, i don't think its down to the police, but i do think they should be able to stop and search whoever they want.

there was a really good thing put on some rugby sites this week, put down your knives and pick up a tackle shield.

Ignorance prevails with regards to most topics, the hysterical media. Those looking for political brownie points, they all surf on waves of misinformation.

There is certainly a place for restricting knife ownership, as seems obvious with the number of children that carry them for protection. However like the banning of hand guns by Bambi Blair, it was a gut reaction that was done to appease the chattering classes. The only difference it made was 1000's of sensible law abiding hand gun owners lost their ability to take part in their hobby. The criminals didn't care about the ban, they could still get their guns illegally regardless.

I can see no justification for a school kid carrying a kitchen knife, but a person dressed, and or equipped to partake or return from a field craft day... there should be no problem.

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

If these are direct quotes, I would be politely informing the locals about the law on slander. Perhaps they should drink less.

The one about items of murder was from a woman I have known for years someone I considered a friend.

Pathetic. I bet most of the knives used in these crimes are kitchen knives, not handmade knives. Asda are making a token gesture of removing single knives from their shelves, but you can still buy a set. Go figure.

The people in your pub sound like ill-informed gossips with nothing better to do.

1 minute ago, fatchap said:

The one about items of murder was from a woman I have known for years someone I considered a friend.

Point out to her that a knife isn't an item of murder. A murderer makes it so. 

Then tell her to get stuffed.

A few of us were talking the other day about that when we were much younger people, we all carried sheath knives and not one person was ever got stabbed even though we could legally carry one. now you can't,and its just seen it's on every news  .. my worry is that kids play violent games on play stations and the like and see life as just a game ... don't know if this right but that just my take on the situation..

As other have said knifes dont kill people Do !,,

2 minutes ago, team tractor said:

A knife is so easy to make especially if it’s just to stab . You’ll never stop it. 

I really can’t believe people would say those things in a pub ? 

Its crazy 

Let's face it, you could stab someone with a screw driver, chisel a rod rest! doesn't have to be a knife.

I don't understand it, when i was in my twenties if you got in a fight while out because folk were drunk it was punching and grappling, thankfully not knives.

I can't understand the thoughts that stabbing someone is ok, someone could die, their family are never the same, you get caught go to jail have a criminal record for ever.

It seems for some that life is cheap.☹ 

It looks like the knife crime over here has the same causes as gun crime in the US gangs and drugs, but as normal its easier to stop you or I having a folding knife that is safer to use because the blade locks that to try to sort out the causes of the problem, or even to admit that its mostly caused by and too certain ethnic groups.

Apparently she was stabbed so hard the handle broke off the knife, There was supposed to be a candle light vigil over the weekend but the police are still looking for the handle in the park. I'd guess the knife in question was cheap survival knife or zombie knife for the handle to break off, he probably still has it. I have heard they have arrested someone in connection with it up in Leicester but there is lots of talk flying around the area at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Let's face it, you could stab someone with a screw driver, chisel a rod rest! doesn't have to be a knife.

I don't understand it, when i was in my twenties if you got in a fight while out because folk were drunk it was punching and grappling, thankfully not knives.

I can't understand the thoughts that stabbing someone is ok, someone could die, their family are never the same, you get caught go to jail have a criminal record for ever.

It seems for some that life is cheap.☹ 

I'm not sure that many stabbing happen during a punch up in a pub car park at kicking out time

3 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Apparently she was stabbed so hard the handle broke off the knife, There was supposed to be a candle light vigil over the weekend but the police are still looking for the handle in the park. I'd guess the knife in question was cheap survival knife or zombie knife for the handle to break off, he probably still has it. I have heard they have arrested someone in connection with it up in Leicester but there is lots of talk flying around the area at the moment.

I wouldn't think any criminals would use a zombie knife, they are illegal! 🙄

Sure I read somewhere that in most stabbings its kitchen knives that are used not pocket knives locking or not, not sheath knives or expensive sporting knives. 

I'm just assuming. I've seen some cheap survival/zombie knives and the blade has hardly any fixing to the handle at all so would probably break off given enough force,

I always thought that Stanley knives where the "weapon" of choice for these people. . Fits in the pocket, you just have to convince the police your a carpet fitter if you get collared with it.

I honestly have no idea how the powers that be can tackle knife crime. Ban selling them? impossible to many legitimate uses. They are too easily available after all some scroat that was to stab someone as said on here only has to look in the kitchen drawer and is spoilt for choice. 

Edited by fatchap