Black Powder advice please.

I have asked this before, but while we have the black powder experts onboard!

Has anyone used VESUVIT black powder? Clay and game stock it and they assure me it is traditional black powder.. I ask only because it's easier for me to get to Clay and Game than other suppliers and as you all know postage is expensive.

I have been reloading Krank powder for a year or so and I use 60 grains in 12g new cartridges. Lovely. The smoke and the smell.

We are actually planning a black powder day at our local clay ground. Be nice to see a few muzzle loading guys show us how!

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I have asked this before, but while we have the black powder experts onboard!

Has anyone used VESUVIT black powder? Clay and game stock it and they assure me it is traditional black powder.. I ask only because it's easier for me to get to Clay and Game than other suppliers and as you all know postage is expensive.

I have been reloading Krank powder for a year or so and I use 60 grains in 12g new cartridges. Lovely. The smoke and the smell.

We are actually planning a black powder day at our local clay ground. Be nice to see a few muzzle loading guys show us how!

Yes I have used it for 20 years it is a medium grade black powder equal too FFg I think clay and game now sell it which I think the price is £32 A Kilo. the MLAGB have a National Black Powder Shoot  at Greystone Wood shooting ground Otley on the 6th April  

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

Thanks for that. Also that it's FFg I am passing Clay and game later this year so can stock up.

I did discover by the way that Eley 28g 67mm black powder gameloads have 60grains of FFFG in them. I am reliably told that FFFg is around 15% more "powerful" if that's the word! Than FFg

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Thanks for that. Also that it's FFg I am passing Clay and game later this year so can stock up.

I did discover by the way that Eley 28g 67mm black powder gameloads have 60grains of FFFG in them. I am reliably told that FFFg is around 15% more "powerful" if that's the word! Than FFg

your right FFFG is a bit finner than ffg and fffg  burns a little livelier. 

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:46, Fen tiger said:

I can vouch for the ability of black powder to attract moisture. Just cartridges sent to my son 100 Eley black powder 12g cartridges which had obviously been kept somewhere damp. They refused to fire. Just cartridges did of course replace them FOC and I ended up with the duff ones.

Taking them to pieces I found that the damp powder had "eaten" the primers. They were just a little hard lump. I removed all the powder, dried it for a week or so and used it and the shot to make new cartridges with new hulls and wads. We have not measured the speed of these cartridges but they do shoot great with never a miss. Ideal for making loud smelly bangs. and virtually free.

4 hours ago, DUNKS said:

The following grades for black powder  were 

Fg  A coarse powder used in big bore fowling guns 

FFg used in shotguns from 10 bore upwards 

FFFg mainly used in rifles but also used in small bore shotguns 

FFFFg this was for pistols and revolvers also used has a priming powder in flint  locks

There was also a large coarse powder known has Punt gun powder

I can not remember Eley loading black powder cartridges  of late the last known black powder cartridge manufacture to load black powder cartridge was Gamebore  and if my memory is correct the powder THEY USED  was a French powder named SNIPE

Feltwad

9 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

The last ones I saw on a shelf in a gunshop was in Mallard Barn shop near Stowmarket. I haven't been there for years so wouldn't know if they still have any

I use mallard barn regularly, it did change hands a little while back , cant say I've seen them in there, I'll ask next time im in there. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I use mallard barn regularly, it did change hands a little while back , cant say I've seen them in there, I'll ask next time im in there. 

Don't make a special trip. There is no way I am buying retail at £30 a box. I have several hundred loaded.