South and west gamefair, whats it like?

strimmer_13

5 minutes ago, moor man said:

Prob 5 years since I went, all the same demos, expensive, car boot feel to it. Unless you have a specific goal give it a miss and go shooting instead👍

Only been to the wiltshire country and game fair at bowood since moving here. Im not looking for nothing, just a mooch about. Ill skip it

the trouble with all of the game fairs is that people still expect to go to them and pick up real bottom dollar bargains.... you don't.

The internet put paid to that a number of years ago, people go to the likes of SGC, on line after seeing the big adverts in ST and buy end of line stuff and have it delivered.

What has not changed is the chance to meet old friends, compare kit, buy at reasonable prices, watch some demo's, have a go on the clay line, scurries, eat some food and talk b0ll0x.

I like the internet, but if people only use that, where will you go to look at gear or try it on for size?  If people do not support their local shops and shows, then they will die out.

I will be there as my OH and I often help out on the scurries etc.

Edited by nic

1 hour ago, nic said:

I like the internet, but if people only use that, where will you go to look at gear or try it on for size?  If people do not support their local shops and shows, then they will die out.

Hang on; these shows are all being run as a money-making enterprise?  I’m under no obligation to ‘support’ anything if it represents poor value.  I went a few years ago and it was a truly terrible effort.  I could’ve forgiven this if it was a small local show charging as such, but it wasn't.

The Shooting show in Birmingham a couple of weeks back was no better.  £20 entry (that’s if you booked in advance) and despite the size of the venue, it was the most crowded, claustrophobic show I’ve ever attended.  I know we’re all in business to make money, but this was absolutely unacceptable; they could’ve easily hired and filled another hall.  I shan’t be going back.

Contrast that with the Game Fair at Ragley last year.  “Free” tickets courtesy of BASC membership, stands spaced apart so there was room for the expected number of people, decent bogs…guess what, I’m contemplating going again this year.  The only complaint would be the lack of actual RFDs there as opposed to Birmingham, thus giving one the chance try some secondhand wares.  And obviously, as with any show, if you don’t take a packed lunch, expect to get reamed at the food stands!

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Hang on; these shows are all being run as a money-making enterprise?  I’m under no obligation to ‘support’ anything if it represents poor value.  I went a few years ago and it was a truly terrible effort.  I could’ve forgiven this if it was a small local show charging as such, but it wasn't.

The Shooting show in Birmingham a couple of weeks back was no better.  £20 entry (that’s if you booked in advance) and despite the size of the venue, it was the most crowded, claustrophobic show I’ve ever attended.  I know we’re all in business to make money, but this was absolutely unacceptable; they could’ve easily hired and filled another hall.  I shan’t be going back.

Contrast that with the Game Fair at Ragley last year.  “Free” tickets courtesy of BASC membership, stands spaced apart so there was room for the expected number of people, decent bogs…guess what, I’m contemplating going again this year.  The only complaint would be the lack of actual RFDs there as opposed to Birmingham, thus giving one the chance try some secondhand wares.  And obviously, as with any show, if you don’t take a packed lunch, expect to get reamed at the food stands!

Well said.

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

well said matt. you are not quite as blunt as me or as rude:lol:

11 hours ago, nic said:

the trouble with all of the game fairs is that people still expect to go to them and pick up real bottom dollar bargains.... you don't.

The internet put paid to that a number of years ago, people go to the likes of SGC, on line after seeing the big adverts in ST and buy end of line stuff and have it delivered.

What has not changed is the chance to meet old friends, compare kit, buy at reasonable prices, watch some demo's, have a go on the clay line, scurries, eat some food and talk b0ll0x.

I will be there as my OH and I often help out on the scurries etc.

The real problem is the greedy organisers, stands are charged such massive fees to attend they have to charge high prices to make money.

If the organisers would let traders on for much less, they would be able to give better deals and better stands would come.

These days half the stands are absolute ****. 

Sounds the same as what happened at the royal welsh. Used to love that, the last time i went it was junk. Talking to a stall holder, the prices were too high for dealers to come. So they didnt. Instead was full of hot tubs, glazing firms, airsoft stands and other rubbish. 

Ill just wait for bowood again.