Police speed van at night

zipdog

Tonight when driving home from work i went past a police speed van! Nothing unusual but this time it was 18:45 and pitch black.

I am assuming they are using infra red or something, but my question is surely the headlights of the oncoming cars would dazzle the camera? 

Any ideas? 

On 11/03/2019 at 23:55, bruno22rf said:

Mmphmmmmmm - hours of work to catch a Thief or Rapist - no income there - nab poor old Joe Public doing 34mph after a long days work and that's £100 - Cha-Ching.

Truly spoken like someone with zero understanding/experience of working in the force.

What if J.Public is doing 34 in a 30 and hits your son/daughter?? 

hello, they were doing this in Abingdon a few weeks ago around 9 pm when i came home from shooting, it is a well known stretch of road with two lanes at 30 MPH either going into town or tesco but many use the tesco side faster and try and cut in at the roundabout, me knowing this so well i was doing the 30 but not the car to my right hence a flashing light to pull in and stop and a wave on to me, 

Im not defending speeding at all, but i wonder why some roads around here have been shut down to 30-40mph because a Councillor lives there :hmm:

The only time i got done for speeding i was offered the course. Told em to stick it. Give me the points. Made hardly any difference to my insurance, compared to a losing money from a day off work and still paying a fine to boot. 

32 minutes ago, vampire said:

Just done a speed awareness course.

At 31 mph you would still be doing 8 mph where you would of stopped at 30mph.

Surely this depends at what point you hit the brakes, what car it is, road conditions, reaction time, visibility ?
Ive done speed awareness courses and I understand the science, but my point is, plenty of people get run over at much lower speeds than 30.
If a kid steps out in the road 2 yards away from and oncoming car, 4 mph isnt really going to make much difference.

Of course you shouldnt speed, but a very high percentage of RTAs happen when people are not speeding.
Shall we ban older drivers with slower reaction times.
Older cars with inferior brakes.
Young drivers ?

Govern cars to the speed limit, using the cars ECU and GPS black boxes, will that stop accidents ?

18 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Surely this depends at what point you hit the brakes, what car it is, road conditions, reaction time, visibility ?
Ive done speed awareness courses and I understand the science, but my point is, plenty of people get run over at much lower speeds than 30.
If a kid steps out in the road 2 yards away from and oncoming car, 4 mph isnt really going to make much difference.

Of course you shouldnt speed, but a very high percentage of RTAs happen when people are not speeding.
Shall we ban older drivers with slower reaction times.
Older cars with inferior brakes.
Young drivers ?

Govern cars to the speed limit, using the cars ECU and GPS black boxes, will that stop accidents ?

If you are involved in any sort of accident at 80mph the chances are that it will be life changing if not actually fatal. The cost to the country of such an accident and the aftermath is huge. 

Edited by Vince Green

Mmphmmmmmm - hours of work to catch a Thief or Rapist - no income there - nab poor old Joe Public doing 34mph after a long days work and that's £100 - Cha-Ching.

Aint that the truth.......easy hits.

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

If you are involved in any sort of accident at 80mph the chances are that it will be life changing if not actually fatal. The cost to the country of such an accident and the aftermath is huge. 

Is there really a difference between 70 and 80?

Not condoning speeding but as others have said there seems to be an awful lot of money invested in catching people.

Is that because of the "easy pickings" and financial reward or because it's a real danger to society?

Edd

28 minutes ago, matone said:

Aint that the truth.......easy hits.

Yep, a purge here every financial quarter, huge purge year end!

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What if J Public hits your daughter at 30 ?

What if thief or rapist targets your daughter ?

At 30 you stand much higher survival rates. They don't pluck figure from thin air.

Nobody comes up with speed limits to catch people out or to make money.

I fail to see how speeding relates to those other crimes? 

11 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Is there really a difference between 70 and 80?

Not condoning speeding but as others have said there seems to be an awful lot of money invested in catching people.

Is that because of the "easy pickings" and financial reward or because it's a real danger to society?

Edd

No, not invested in catching peoples, invested in keeping all road users safe.

If your that desperate to go fast then book yourself a track day. 

A collision that occurred near my home 2 weeks ago, involved a young lady and a parked vehicle. The young ladies vehicle ended up on it's side and as she was being helped out of it, I could not believe what I was seeing  !  She was aged around 24, wearing pyjamas, slip on fluffy mule things and dressing gown, Oh, and a head full of 4" diameter rollers. She was still clutching her mobile phone. The car that she hit was a write off and I would suggest, so was hers. It was not long before 'Daddy,  arrived and put her into his car. She offered no explanation to anyone, but they did remain until the Police arrived (the road was totally blocked). I did suggest to the Traffic bobby to look at her phone.  All of this happened on a 30mph stretch of a perfectly straight road  ?  Maybe, just maybe, had there been a camera at this site  ???

Funny how in other parts of Europe they have roads without speed limits and do ok. Also higher speed limits. We all know and accept the risks of driving. 

As for costs to the country our road tax comes to a huge sum of money then tax on fuel for vehicles.

Also let's not forget roads are for vehicles not pedestrians they have pavements. L this extra few miles an hour and the collision is fatal, the driver is a killer etc. The pedestrian whether a child or adult shouldn't have been there.

There were still fatalities when it was horse and carts.

If it wasn't about the money don't fine people dedicate them.

We pay too much already.

The road safety aspect would be plausable IF they set up on roads where dangerous speeding occurs ! 

I can think of many such places locally but nothing is ever done ,however a mobile camera is often deployed on a wide open ,lightly trafficed section of road leading to a major trunk road that has no parked cars or junctions..........and this seems to be replicated elsewhere around the area,the A19 in N Yorks is the same camera vans on straight ,dualled road and I dont know anyone who thinks it`s anything other than a revenue collecting operation.

I`ve nothing against the use of the technique BUT they should use it where there is a real risk to other road users & pedestrians imho.

Edited by matone

9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

At 30 you stand much higher survival rates. They don't pluck figure from thin air.

Nobody comes up with speed limits to catch people out or to make money.

No, not invested in catching peoples, invested in keeping all road users safe.

If your that desperate to go fast then book yourself a track day. 

30 as opposed to what ?

Say 34-35? 

Would agree that generally lower speed would do less damage but how much? If that's the case then why are limits not less than 30? Why is it still 30 when cars have developed so much?

As others have said why are mobile cameras placed where they are? In my experience there are more placed in areas where the consequences of speeding wouldn't be too severe yet not so many in areas around schools, shopping centres or other places that would be sensible to "keep people safe".

Why are there so many stretches of motorway with variable limits?

I know people who have been caught by those cameras early hours of the morning with very little traffic and ignored limits dropping from 70 to 50 etc as they seemed to change every few miles for no reason. Lots of people see this as just a way to "trap" motorists into speeding.

As far as being "desperate to go fast" I'm absolutely not. Been there, done that.

On and off public roads.

I've not had a ticket in more than 15 years but I, like most people, can often creep over a speed limit. All school areas should have a reduced limit, around playing fields, housing estates...Probably other places too but all too often the areas that seem to be targeted seem to be for easy pickings.

Just my opinion

Edd