Hive or cctv

johnnytheboy

Just looking for some advice, stayed in one house for 10 years and never had a bit of bother with things going missing, people about the house. Just moved to a new house and inside a month we have stuff missing from the cars, the likelihood is we got lazy and and never locked them as there is no sign of damage to the car, when your hauling kids and tons of toys in and out the car you can be distracted! 

Anyway that’s a right nuisance as the wife doesn’t feel safe in the house now. 

The heating has a hive controller but it doesn’t work from the app as it needs a new controller as we are new to the house, but it will be cheap as the thermostat is there, so this got me looking at their camera system

Does anyone have it, would you recommend this system? It’s either that or we go for a cctv system, any help appreciated folks as the wife’s up the wall with worry now! 

Have you looked at the Ring range of smart doorbells/cameras? We have the doorbell and a couple of cameras all working via an app. They are a great bit of kit and its great if someone is at your door and your not home! You can see who is at your door and also speak to them via the app.

Discreet and no wires then have a look at the Arlo system- simply brilliant imho

Only downside is you need to charge the cams but I’m finding I’m getting several months out of them between charges and even longer on a couple that aren’t triggered often.

But sorry your wife feels unsafe- hope the situation improves. 

A friend along the road has a Hive outdoor CCTV system and has been very pleased with it.  It has a good 'human recognition' software for alarms.  Camera is very wide angle which gives a slightly strange view.

I have a CCTV from Amazon.  Camera and hardware are very good, but alarm software for movement detection is not good (no 'human detect" algorithm) - especially at night where the IR illumination shows every moth and spider web strand.

I've got various IP CCTV cameras that work through wifi. Can be hard wired as well through Powerline adaptors. Each have a micro SD card in them to record movement etc  (can also be connected to DVR recording devices) As said above, they detect everything and the night vision is average outdoors but very good indoors.

Not bad for the money and give a certain amount of piece of mind.

Screenshot_20190112-094957.png

Screenshot_20181207-165728.png

Screenshot_20181207-165858.png

hog.jpg

55 minutes ago, hedge said:

I've got various IP CCTV cameras that work through wifi. Can be hard wired as well through Powerline adaptors. Each have a micro SD card in them to record movement etc  (can also be connected to DVR recording devices) As said above, they detect everything and the night vision is average outdoors but very good indoors.

Not bad for the money and give a certain amount of piece of mind.

Screenshot_20190112-094957.png

Screenshot_20181207-165728.png

Screenshot_20181207-165858.png

hog.jpg

what makes are they, the picture quality looks very good.

12 hours ago, paul1966 said:

what makes are they, the picture quality looks very good.

1. This is the outdoor wide angle one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074YZGGFN/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. This is the  `stable cam`

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DJCZQ74/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. This is the hedgehog cam:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0718WXY69/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wide angle cam does a 360 degree arc due to the rotating camera and I can see the road outside etc if needed. It's mounted on the corner of the house. The stable cam is also an outdoor camera that we use indoors - it is IP rated though. The hedgehog cam is actually for indoor use only - we used it outside in a waterproof box in the summer just to watch the hogs. It is not IP rated.

All of them have microphones and can do 2 way comms (it's a bit average). They all have infrared that works pretty well. 1 and 2 are hard-wired using cat5 cables into Powerline adaptors straight to the router to take the pressure off the wifi. Cam 3 is currently not in use.

The most important thing for me is to have 1080 HD as a minimum. I've had cheaper 720dpi cameras and the picture quality is no where as good.

John_R is quite right that security can apparently  be an issue - they all use proprietry Chinese software that could have security issues, but you can take steps to reduce that. Personally, I've never had any issues (that I'm aware of). 

They all have apps that allow you to monitor remotely (the screenshots are all from my phone). You can set up movement alerts, although they tend to trigger too easily so I never have them on.

Have also used camera 3 in the house to watch the dogs and to monitor my rat trap (it didn't end well for the rat).

Screenshot_20180122-231341.png

Got Aldi,s hd system it,s hard wired so no "blocking " by clever peeps .And u can access by phone all 4 camera,s and it takes a good photo too .The neighbour has "HIVE" so we cover each others car/back garden and frontage pic quality seems decent on both so personal choice imho atb 

Bought a RING doorbell and chime just recently, after setting it up, thought I would catch the postman walking up the path too the front door the, the postman did that delivered the post, and walked the 15 yards to the gate and the camera still didn't pick him up, okay if you stand there long enough, but no good fore me, so got a refund.

33 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Thanks for the info.  Are you using some kind of NVR to capture all the camera's feeds, or are you just using the apps on your phone?

Each camera has a micro SD in it to store locally whatever you want it to record (it will overwrite once it's full up - just like a dashcam). It can take stills/video, set motion detect sensitivity etc. 

I just use the app on my phone. You can watch live feed or playback the SD recordings from the camera. The photos are all screenshots from live feeds and playback. You can also download any recorded data to a phone/tablet if you want a record kept off the camera. The app also allows you to record live feeds to your phone and/or take photos whilst watching it. Useful if you are miles away and see something out of order and want an instant record on your device/phone. They have software for PC and also tablets etc.

You can use an NVR but for my purposes it's not necessary.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Ring has always bothered me. Talking to a caller on that is great if it's a delivery man or whatever, but if it's a would-be burglar, you're telling him no-one's home so he's got at least a few minutes undisturbed. 

That’s fair enough. But what you have is a face, clothing, body size and time.  Most police know the local ‘baduns’.

The quality of ring is very dependant on WiFi strength.

The ring lens is a very wide fish eye. Not sure if the angle, but I bet it’s 150 degrees or more.