Cerrosafe chamber casting alloy

impala59

I will shortly be starting to reload for my 10g Ithaca Mag 10 and my 1911 10g Ithaca Flues Double. The Flues was, I believe, originally chambered for 2 5/8" cartridges but has a UK Birmingham proof mark of 76mm. To ascertain the actual chamber size, my research has led me to the above named product, Cerrosafe. I would be grateful for any experience you have with this product, or any other foolproof ways of measuring the chamber size accurately. The Mag 10 is not an issue as it is 3 1/2" chambered. I will be using a roll crimp for both loads

Yes, it’s just a precaution really, the cases I ordered are all 3 1/2” so for my old Flues I will have to cut to fit. With a little time to consider this, I will be able to insert the new(long) cases into the breech until they reach the chamber end and then measure the cut I need at the back end. The chamber casting idea came from a Midway video I was watching. Just have to wait for my cases I guess. 

Unless you have a better idea?🙂👍💡

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

You could plug the barrel in front of forcing cone and cast lead in the chamber, this would give you the length of chamber and forcing cone.

Think I would go with tight choke and use a steel rule.  Quick and simple.

We like quick and simple!:good:

19 minutes ago, figgy said:

You could plug the barrel in front of forcing cone and cast lead in the chamber, this would give you the length of chamber and forcing cone.

Think I would go with tight choke and use a steel rule.  Quick and simple.

Years ago I did this (fibre wad in the barrel proper, in front of the forcing cone) used a wood dowell down the centre of the chamber to minimise the quantity of cerrosafe required, I used the resultant casting as a pattern for making 4 bore solid brass cases...........got the cerrosafe from France!

Impala i admire your attitude to getting things right and doing a chamber casting will get you the measurement you need, but its not like its a small chamber and its not especialy long at 3 inch ish . So to save you the trouble of a casting could you not simply use a tail of any vernier and measure it to forcing cone. or try this.  use a 16 instead of 20  inside and ten hull. 

Edited by lancer425

Your Flues will  have 2 7/8 inch chambers if not altered. Chamber length can be measured with a steel rule, Or better with a chamber Gage. One can be made from a round wooden dowel turned down to loosely fit the diameter of chamber and marked at. 2 7/8 and 3 inch and 3 1/2 . Cerro safe not the best choice for shotgun chamber . It is fantastic for rifles in doubt of clambering. But a waste for shotguns.

Think laterally. I have a plastic felt tip pen with a blunt end. "opposite to the inky bit" Which fits my 12g guns exactly. Push it in till it stops. Mark it, Then pull it out. I find my very old guns have a forcing cone almost like a step. Opposite to my new Browning with a three inch cone!!!

My post on this subject has some incorrect information..   The Flues was meant to fire 2 !/5 inch Ammo and chambers were 2 5/8 inches to allow the expansion of the rolled crimp.. The gun was intended for low pressure ammo of the era and modern 2 1/5 inch exceeds the proof of the time. In The US low pressure 2 1/5 ammo is available and commonly used in classic old double guns.. The shotgun that replaced the Flues is the NID and that gun can handle higher pressure loads. The Flues action can crack through if modern CIP proofed loads are used

Edited by simcgunner