Out on the Crows

MarcMaxus

Hi Folks, 

I'm out on the Crows this afternoon as they are hassling the sheep and lambs and just being a general pain in the backside. Farmer called me Monday and  has asked me to get cracking asap as they are causing him major headache.

I have around 2 dozen full bodied decoys I picked up years ago just in case lol I'm going to try and draw them in with those scattered infront of the barn they have taken a liking to. This is my first time concentrating on Crows (well experienced on Pigeon, fox etc) I just normally bag the odd one when decoying our Pigeon friends. As I understand it, they can be quite crafty ****! Any tips for a newbie on the Crows or is it just a case of set up and crack on? The weather is set to be bloody awful but need to be getting on with it, but I'm half considering not setting up a hide as I'm not sure it would last in the wind! Or is a hide a must?

If SRS is reading, you should do a video on the Crows if you can. I looked if you had already and couldn't find one! 

Cheers in advance for taking time to reply.

Edited by MarcMaxus

You need a decent hide and be well hidden, with a degree of roof cover - that’s a must not an optional! They will fly high and spot you before you spot them if not.  Cover face and hands if you have gloves/hat etc

Do not move at all until you are ready to shoot, and use a decent cart, as they seem to be able to take quite a lot to get nice clean kills (although maybe better shooting might address that on my part!!) - I use no 5 in 32g

A crow call also works well (primos power crow for example) 

If they spot you and they will, they won’t come near. Keep decoys tidy on area where they feed, as anything out of place may also spook them - you’ll soon see them turn away if that’s occurring. 

Im not expert, but have learnt these bits by trial and error.  

Only basic info, but hope it helps!

trevor

Edited by Tford

Id agree with all above .and just add. 

Let them get in close at least 30 yds 

They are tough birds, hit them with a heavy cart if poss. 

You will need to shoot mainly upwards But will also need cover above you so they cant see down into the hide 

Which should be almost invisible blending in to the background. 

Cheers fellas. I'll get the hide set up. I have a ghillie suit so will stick that on. 

I'm going half choke with 32g 6s and will see how I get on. Watched a few feild sports videos too which gave some decent tips.

Apprecaite the reply gents, I'll let you know how I get on. 

All the previous info is correct, I tend not to use plastic decoys but hide and call them in and shoot , then use as decoys. I did try a plastic decoy which I boot polished and lofted and found that brought them in with confidence as they wanted to join the lofted bird rather than sit on the ground. So if you are near farm buildings or hedges put one of your plastics on a stick, it may help.

Good Luck and let us know the result.

9 hours ago, MarcMaxus said:

Hi Folks, 

I'm out on the Crows this afternoon as they are hassling the sheep and lambs and just being a general pain in the backside. Farmer called me Monday and  has asked me to get cracking asap as they are causing him major headache.

I have around 2 dozen full bodied decoys I picked up years ago just in case lol I'm going to try and draw them in with those scattered infront of the barn they have taken a liking to. This is my first time concentrating on Crows (well experienced on Pigeon, fox etc) I just normally bag the odd one when decoying our Pigeon friends. As I understand it, they can be quite crafty ****! Any tips for a newbie on the Crows or is it just a case of set up and crack on? The weather is set to be bloody awful but need to be getting on with it, but I'm half considering not setting up a hide as I'm not sure it would last in the wind! Or is a hide a must?

If SRS is reading, you should do a video on the Crows if you can. I looked if you had already and couldn't find one! 

Cheers in advance for taking time to reply.

Srs would probably be the last person I would ask for advice on anything shooting related!

8 hours ago, Tford said:

You need a decent hide and be well hidden, with a degree of roof cover - that’s a must not an optional! They will fly high and spot you before you spot them if not.  Cover face and hands if you have gloves/hat etc

Do not move at all until you are ready to shoot, and use a decent cart, as they seem to be able to take quite a lot to get nice clean kills (although maybe better shooting might address that on my part!!) - I use no 5 in 32g

A crow call also works well (primos power crow for example) 

If they spot you and they will, they won’t come near. Keep decoys tidy on area where they feed, as anything out of place may also spook them - you’ll soon see them turn away if that’s occurring. 

Im not expert, but have learnt these bits by trial and error.  

Only basic info, but hope it helps!

trevor

I would wholly disagree with you both. A roof on your hide is not a must, and neither are gloves or face masks. Big loads are not really required, either. I have shot enough crows stone dead with an ounce of 7 to know that.

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Id agree with all above .and just add. 

Let them get in close at least 30 yds 

They are tough birds, hit them with a heavy cart if poss. 

You will need to shoot mainly upwards But will also need cover above you so they cant see down into the hide 

Which should be almost invisible blending in to the background. 

Why would most shots be upwards?

Well that was an education! Theu surley are crafty so and sos. Trying to out whit them was a lot of fun. They seem to spot you from a way out if with the slightest movement. It was mega windy so one small divert and they were off!

I managed 5 good solid hours. They seemed to be sitting in a couple of trees around 400yds away from the lamb sheds. There was a dry stone wall inbetween the trees and shed so I set up there as I didn't want to shoot near the lambing sheds. 

Had a dozen full bodied around 30yds out from the hide and one bouncer. 5 minutes in they came into the pattern and did so for then next 2 hours, then went deadly quiet. One thing I immediately noticed is around 60 to 70% needed 2 shots to down them, is that common? I was using the 32g 6s. I actually had to check my empties at one point to check I wasn't using steel! I wasn't, they must just have armour! Joking aside it un nerved me a bit as prefer a clean dispatch. I took your advice and didnt move until I was pulling the trigger. Holding back the need to jump up and start unloading was tough! Guess that's down to discipline. 

I notched up 8. Not a big bag by any stretch but the farmer was happy with the service and I enjoyed a new challenge. Going to let it settle for a few week and go again. I plan on using my RM8 in the sheds once the lamb get in the fields. 

So a good days shooting. I apprecaite your advice. Would be keen to know if the 2 shots to down is common or if my shooting was off lol. 

With regards to SRS, I quite like his content. It's honest and a good watch!

Edited by MarcMaxus

7 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

Well that was an education! 

I managed 5 good solid hours. They seemed to be sitting in a couple of trees around 400yds away from the lamb sheds. There was a dry stone wall inbetween the trees and shed so I set up there as I didn't want to shoot near the lambing sheds. 

Had a dozen full bodied around 30yds out from the hide and one bouncer. 5 minutes in they came into the pattern and did so for then next 2 hours, then went deadly quiet. One thing I immediately noticed is around 60 to 70% needed 2 shots to down them, is that common? I was using the 32g 6s. I actually had to check my empties at one point to check I wasn't using steel! I wasn't, they must just have armour! Joking aside it un nerved me a bit as prefer a clean dispatch.

I notched up 8. Not a big bag by any stretch but the farmer was happy with the service and I enjoyed a new challenge. Going to let it settle for a few week and go again. I plan on using my RM8 in the sheds once the lamb get in the fields. 

So a good days shooting. I apprecaite your advice. Would be keen to know if the 2 shots to down is common or if my shooting was off lol. 

With regards to SRS, I quite like his content. It's honest and a good watch!

You were either not shooting straight, or the birds were too far.

1 minute ago, motty said:

You were either not shooting straight, or the birds were too far.

They were 30yds out. 40yds max so I don't think it's that. Could be my shooting, it was windy and I was twitchy, admittedly. I've never had that on the pigeons though, may be the odd couple but no where near what I had today. I would say 5 or 6 of the 8 needed 2 shots.

I have never but a roof over my hide or do I where gloves and mask just a hat with good brim on it and I have shot thousands of crows one thing that i do is keep as still as possible it’s movement that gives the game away

Edited by snow white

49 minutes ago, snow white said:

I have never but a roof over my hide or do I where gloves and mask just a hat with good brim on it and I have shot thousands of crows one thing that i do is keep as still as possible it’s movement that gives the game away

Yeah I had no roof. I just stayed super still as per the advice. With regards to the 2 shots to kill, is that something you have come across or is it my bad aim?? Lol

42 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

It could be the choke. I don't think it was distance. What would you go with? I was on half choke 

Half choke should be fine at those ranges, now you say crows ,what type jackdaw, rooks Carrion, my guess is they are further out than you think let them get as close as possible and then stuff em.

22 minutes ago, muncher said:

Half choke should be fine at those ranges, now you say crows ,what type jackdaw, rooks Carrion, my guess is they are further out than you think let them get as close as possible and then stuff em.

Cheers for the info. It was windy as hell so perhaps that is something to factor in. I assumed 32g 6s would do the job, so that said it must be my shot placement.

Mainly Carrion Crows, big *******.

I wrongly assumed it would be same as dusting our pigeon freinds! How wrong was I!

Cheers 

Edited by MarcMaxus

Not a member on here, but following this with interest. The problem was neither choke or shot load/size. I once shot 78 crows in a farmyard one morning using 14 grams of no.9 shot from a two and a half inch chambered fourten with an imp cyl right barrel. 

Crows are NOT tough birds. Experience since 1960 has taught me this.

Best regards, and enjoy your shooting everybody.

They fly high and like to peer into the hide so place it well and don't move till you shoot. 

They aren't tough but are a lot of feather and not a lot of crow and im sure thats what gives the illusion of being tough when infact its a gappy pattern and the main body takes few hits. They can be deceptive targets too, moving faster than they appear due to their effortless flying. 

Any normal pigeon cart (including 7.5 or even 14g of no 9 as above ) will kill crows easily if you hit the body. 

First outing of many I hope?! No doubt with more attempts will come more ideas of what works for you on your permissions.

i equally enjoy crow shooting as I do pigeons but for differing reasons - pigeons for fast sport and breasting, and crows for pure pest control satisfaction.