Decent receipe for kings ginger

Mungler

Doesn’t taste exactly (or quite as good as!) King’s Ginger, but it’s lovely just the same!

Ginger Liqueur

Ingredients

1.      60g. Root Ginger

2.      1 Vanilla pod

3.      350 g. Sugar

4.      300 ml. Water

5.      350 ml. Brandy

6.      1 Orange

Directions

1. Peel the ginger and cut it into thin slices. Split the vanilla pod in half lengthwise.
  2. Bring the ginger, vanilla, sugar, and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until ginger is soft—about 20 minutes. Let the syrup cool. Do not strain yet.
  3. Zest the orange and place the zest only in a sealable glass container along with the syrup and brandy. Seal and shake, then let this mixture steep for one day.
  4. After one day, remove the vanilla pod and let the mixture steep for an additional day.
  5. Strain mixture through a coffee filter into your bottle or jar for storage. Let it sit for one more day before using to let flavours mellow.

4 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Beardo did one on here ages ago and I tried it, but it didn't work out - Was drinkable, but not the same.

He did another simpler one shortly afterwards and then mixed the two.  That then sat for a while and turned out to be  amazing.

You're not wrong guv - Had a little search and here they be:

Ginger liqueur

Put into a half-gallon jar:

1/2 ounce ground ginger or 1 ounce fresh ginger root, well bruised

1/2 pound cut-up raisins

2 to 3 washed lemons, sliced

2 ounces macerated sweet almonds

1/2 ounce essence of bitter almonds

1 quart brandy, vodka, whisky or pure (190-proof), diluted alcohol

Finally, add sugar syrup or granulated sugar to taste.

Cover and set in a dark place, shaking often, for four weeks. Strain and filter, bottle.

Or this for a simpler version

Ginger Liqueur 3

Ingredients:

1 cup honey

1 cup water

3 tablespoons chopped gingerroot

1 teaspoon lemon, zest of

1 1/2 cups Scotch whisky

Instructions:

Bring honey and water to boil for 3-5 minutes. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Add ginger root and lemon zest. Boil for an additonal 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until just warm. Strain solids from liquid mixture into a medium bowl. Transfer solids to coffe filter and squeeze out any remaining liquid with your hands. Transfer liquid to a clean 1-quart container. Add Whisky, store in a cool, dark place for 1 month. After storing for one month take the liquid and pour the liquid through a coffee filter and into into final serving container. Age for 2 more weeks before serving.

The stuff I’ve tried on a shoot days is based on Lidl brandy, crystallised ginger, honey and a dash of vanilla essence. I’m going to ring the person who made that and get his recipe because this sweet and bitter almonds nonsense is the path to madness 😝

I've made a few batches of kings ginger in the past and now I just buy a bottle.

Closest I got was a jar of ginger in syrup, grated finely adds to the vodka along with some of the syrup add a dash of tripplec sec etc other brands are available I tried lemons and it was like cold and cough syrup add honey to taste only a  little you can add more later and give a good shake. Leave for months and carefully Syphon leaving the crud in the bottom to get the clear spirit. Add the high proof clear spirit cocktail waiters use to up the alcohol content.

• 4 weeks later...