best quick and easy hide kit

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Temporary or permanent?

temporary mate, something to pack away and leave in the area and then set up according to wind direction. they would also need to be portable but yet strong enough to withstand a bit of wind.......Im thinking a couple in each hide, sitting down. 

3 minutes ago, islandgun said:

temporary mate, something to pack away and leave in the area and then set up according to wind direction. they would also need to be portable but yet strong enough to withstand a bit of wind.......Im thinking a couple in each hide, sitting down. 

I think Walker570 uses something along the lines you seek for his squirrel and corvid shooting.

Don't laugh but you can buy a pop up toilet tent in various guises for about £15 - use the opening at the rear as a door and cut a slit in the front - if you are handy you could maybe cut a square patch out and sew a piece of mist cammo net in? Something like ebay item 173299616385?

Edited by bruno22rf

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Don't laugh but you can buy a pop up toilet tent in various guises for about £15 - use the opening at the rear as a door and cut a slit in the front - if you are handy you could maybe cut a square patch out and sew a piece of mist cammo net in? Something like ebay item 173299616385?

Blimey that’s a good idea, I was looking for a cheap popup hide to use around one of the farms I shoot, they are being plagued at the minute with rooks and jackdoors around the barns but its got to-be an air rifle job.

as you say it would be easy to alter it for your needs, I bet its made from the same stuff the gun shops call pop up pigeon/stalking hides and charge 4 or 5 times the price, think it would work a treat with a bit of camo net draped across the front and round the back.

Thanks for the heads up, think I might go for the camo one….https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Instant-Pop-Up-Tent-Camping-Toilet-Shower-Changing-Privacy-Room-Outdoor/173637808046?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D0094c7b30c0644f29f45375bf6354793%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D173299616385%26itm%3D173637808046&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Edited by old'un

thanks for the suggestions gents..Im not sure the toilet tent would stand up in a wind..😉.. I just wondered if anyone had a preference for a specific type of netting or poles, as said the peeps would be sat on a mat on the ground so only needs to be a metre high. been looking at sitong netting on amazon, various sizes and colours

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077Q8JQ8F/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AHM6F4A88Q0X6&psc=1

Might not be enough concealment for what you want island gun , i saw a chap wild fowling one morning in a quiet inlet in NW scotland last season. He had a beach tent the low  round half dome type he had died it green and brown and draped a small camo net over it he said it worked fine it looked ok. compact erected in seconds. 

Portability ?  Could you carry it a short distance on your shoulder ?    I have a home made igloo style which can be secured with knock in pegs and it already has in the design two push in supports.  I have used this and still do ocasionally and it can be taken down and put up very quickly and can be adjusted to give a lower profile.   I will set the frame up without the camo netting becuse that is your choice to blend with your location.  You need to be able to drill a few bits of  box section and have access to about 40ft of black plastic water pipe .

Weather here is a bit rough at the moment so it may be this evening before I can post pictures.

I have used it out in an open field and just chucked some straw over the camo netting. It folds into a flat circle about 3ft in diameter.  

Most of the commercial pop ups .... I have one .... are not good in a strong wind but this design stands it pretty well as you can peg it down securely.

Photos to follow this evening if not before. 

When we shoot geese on a flat field we will dig a trench deep enough for legs and sit on the side of it. We then put a small net around the trench at a height of about 3 feet set on road pins. It does work in strong wind as its low to the ground but you may need some more support? 

9 hours ago, oowee said:

When we shoot geese on a flat field we will dig a trench deep enough for legs and sit on the side of it. We then put a small net around the trench at a height of about 3 feet set on road pins. It does work in strong wind as its low to the ground but you may need some more support? 

Thanks for the replies folks,  oowee this was the sort of idea i was looking at TBH, i perhaps wouldnt need a roof as theres the off chance that an interesting BOP may pass over.. it was really any recommendations for netting and posts coupled with the fact that i would have to carry all the gear 2-3 miles initially

cheers IG

8 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for the replies folks,  oowee this was the sort of idea i was looking at TBH, i perhaps wouldnt need a roof as theres the off chance that an interesting BOP may pass over.. it was really any recommendations for netting and posts coupled with the fact that i would have to carry all the gear 2-3 miles initially

cheers IG

We  use big mesh hessian which we then stuff with long grass. You could replace the road pins with glass fibre poles but the road pins are rough so the hessian hangs on them easily. 

OK got it sorted this morning as the high wind and rain subsided.

The frame you see can be easily adapted and you don't need to have the braces as shown as I have in the past just tied string between the hoops where I needed and the camo then keeps them all apart.  I read that this would be a place where you might visit on a number of occcasions and on occasion it might get a bit pf precipitation you can put a piece of water proof sheet inside which works well.  Even with camo on it will fold as shown and is easily carried on the shoulder being very light. This frame will seat two persons in folding camping chairs side by side.   You add what camo you need and I just tag it on with plastic zip ties.  As you can see it will fold flat and could be left at the site in some cover along with the chairs.  Carry it out once and out once when finished. 

Appreciate this may be a bit over the top but I have used this idea now for over twenty years for pigeon/crows, deer, tree rats, rabbits etc etc with great success..

With camo netting on to match and some straw chucked on top it works well in the middle of a recently combined field as well.

In a wind I use some metal stakes/tent pegs to hold the windward side down. Two or three around the front would hold it secure as the sides are pinned about a foot in the ground anyway.

003.JPG

005.JPG

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

OK got it sorted this morning as the high wind and rain subsided.

The frame you see can be easily adapted and you don't need to have the braces as shown as I have in the past just tied string between the hoops where I needed and the camo then keeps them all apart.  I read that this would be a place where you might visit on a number of occcasions and on occasion it might get a bit pf precipitation you can put a piece of water proof sheet inside which works well.  Even with camo on it will fold as shown and is easily carried on the shoulder being very light. This frame will seat two persons in folding camping chairs side by side.   You add what camo you need and I just tag it on with plastic zip ties.  As you can see it will fold flat and could be left at the site in some cover along with the chairs.  Carry it out once and out once when finished. 

Appreciate this may be a bit over the top but I have used this idea now for over twenty years for pigeon/crows, deer, tree rats, rabbits etc etc with great success..

With camo netting on to match and some straw chucked on top it works well in the middle of a recently combined field as well.

In a wind I use some metal stakes/tent pegs to hold the windward side down. Two or three around the front would hold it secure as the sides are pinned about a foot in the ground anyway.

003.JPG

005.JPG

Thanks mate that looks the business, I suspect a bit too involved for my requirements although i can see it being a in demand for the pigeon lads.thanks for posting 

Yep, thought it may be over the top. You may be able to devise a simplified version.  I stil can't retrieve the original photo and will have to tke it again tomorrow.

We have otters on our little river here in Leicestershire and in five or six years working for many hours on the banks and knowing they were there I never actually saw one, although a fisherman sitting on the bank had one climb out alongside him. Don't know who was most surprised. They cleared the river of mink which was helpful and enjoyed the numerous pike and chub which were easy to catch.

Well that was quick, ordered at 18:00 hours Tuesday 12, and arrived today Friday at 9:00.

First, its light weight, erects in about 30 seconds (bit longer putting camo net over) comes with 4 steel pegs (peg loops on each corner of hide) you could put some guide rope at the top if you intend to use it in very windy conditions, the stitching is a little rough in places and I would image it would let rain through the stitch lines, but for £14 its not bad, packing it away was almost as easy as erecting it, there’s plenty of room in it and I can stand-up if I wish (I’m 6 feet tall) it’s a shame the door flap does not rollup higher, I may cut another flap above this at some point.

Although it will be used mainly around the barns where its sheltered I wanted to erect it today as there’s a fair wind blowing, must say it was remarkably stable with the pegs in each corner.

One reason for buying it I cannot use my normal pigeon hide and poles because the area I need to-be is concrete, I guess I could have started making stabiliser bars for it but for the price and hassle why bother, don’t think it would be much use for decoying pigeons with the shotgun, unless you remain seated and shoot birds hovering over your decoys, but I did not buy it for that, its for use with the air rifle on sitters.

All I got to-do now is find some time to get up there and we are off to Tenby end of this month, but I think I will have some fun with it around the barns come May.    

P3150061.JPG

P3150064.JPG

P3150065.JPG

Edited by old'un