Advice please

WestonSalop

Gents. I am new to hunting tree rats and would appreciate your advice.

I'm close to getting permission from a neighbouring landowner to thin down the squirrel population. Songbird numbers have reduced dramatically and I'm certain there's a relationship between that and the inordinate increase in greys, which seem to be everywhere. 

However, my experience is clays and target shooting. There are large numbers of dreys in overhanging trees, which look like very tempting targets. That said, they are quite high and so poking them with a stick isn't very practicable.

So in a nutshell - what advice can you offer other than me staking out the site and popping 'em off individually, rather than taking out the dreys?

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

Gents. I am new to hunting tree rats and would appreciate your advice.

I'm close to getting permission from a neighbouring landowner to thin down the squirrel population. Songbird numbers have reduced dramatically and I'm certain there's a relationship between that and the inordinate increase in greys, which seem to be everywhere. 

However, my experience is clays and target shooting. There are large numbers of dreys in overhanging trees, which look like very tempting targets. That said, they are quite high and so poking them with a stick isn't very practicable.

So in a nutshell - what advice can you offer other than me staking out the site and popping 'em off individually, rather than taking out the dreys?

Thanks in advance.

You are indeed correct, have a look for Walker570's posts about trimming back the little grey ********. 

Shooting the dreys out with a shotgun can be productive, especially if they are at home when it's a wet miserable day. Only if theres no red squirrels obviously. 

Otherwise, set up feeders using peanuts. Very simple to make and will draw squirrels in from  long way as well as feed the songbirds. If you need advice on how to make easy cheap feeders, let me know.

Culling the squirrels will help the birds, especially if they're getting fed too. However, initially for every squirrel you see or shoot at a time, there will be another 10.

Good luck

While Drey blasting is fun I echo the advice on setting up feeders. Set them up and keep an eye on them for a few weeks to see how the peanuts are dropping. Once they start going down a lot setup with an air rifle in a hide or in cover close by and hammer them. 

You can get loads in one go like this and they will literally walk over their dead mates to get to the nuts.

I had a bit of an issue on one my my permissions with them so set up a feeder and left it for a few week just topping it off (also didnt help that I couldnt find time to spend a Saturdays shooting them due to other commitments) then when I got chance I parked up in the truck overlooking the feeder with the air rifle and had 10 in about 3 hours. 

If you have several feeders over a big bit of woodland you can just rotate round the feeders. Unless you miss loads they are pretty stupid when they get onto the feeder as the lure of food tends to blot out everything else.  

Many thanks for the advice fellas. Seems clear to me that humping around long and heavy poles isn't much fun but is the only way to ensure no owls in residence. No way would I want to accidentally kill one. Looks like I'll be setting up feeders and hide after all.

Once again - many thanks.

Try to set a feeder up on the east and west of the wood if possible for morning and evening shooting, if you can put a good hide up as well you'll probably find you enjoy it as well as it being productive. It's surprising what you see while sitting still in the woods.

Setting up a feeder is always a good idea, and very relaxing watching wildlife, whilst waiting for the greys to come to you.

drey shooting/poking is best done with a pal.

If you are having a wander about, try and borrow a thermal, however these work best in dull weather and when trees are not in leaf.

Flip top feeders are very productive. Fairly simple to make one as it i basically a box with a hinged lid the squirrel can lift up to gain access.  Se a couple of photos of mine.

I'm fortunate that on a couple of my areas plus my own wood I have prmanent set ups with weatherproof blinds to sit in. You just have to be patent but to be honest once the other wildlife finds the scraps around the flip top you will se a lot of activty.  I drill 1/4 inch holes in the front and the small birds and even woodpeckers can peck bits out and thier presence alerts squirrels.

The feeders shown have hoppers so I don't have to visit every day. I also put trail cams on which show me attendance and times.

002.JPG

230.JPG

On the second photo above you can see it is very early morning as the light is just coming up.  The camera timer is not set correctly.

Edited by Walker570