.17 Hornet reloading

I have a .17 Hornet which is £1.04 to shoot per round factory Hornady v max 20g. It's too expensive to shoot at that price. I've looked at getting a .17WSM but that's £24 for 50 rounds, and that's still to expensive to shoot crows/rabbits ect with. So looked at .17HMR heard a lot of negative on them ammunition wise with split cases. What would your recomendation be? Sell my hornet and variation for a .17HMR or spend the money and reload for the .17 Hornet. Never reloaded before, would i really see a benefit in cost saving and make the .17 hornet worth keeping? Thanks in advance!  Any load data for the .17 Hornet would be greatly appreciated if reloading for it is the way to go. Thanks!

So you've bought a rifle you can't afford to shoot ?

Rather than make another hasty decision, I suggest you get some factory ammo and shoot and enjoy it.

This may buy you time to reflect and contemplate your next move.

The best case scenario is your friend with the Savage .223 may be kind enough to reload for you, as if you have no reloading gear, starting from scratch can be very expensive.

Edited by Robertt

Learn to reload. 

I love sitting in my gun room reloading on a dark night. It’s even better knowing you’ve created a load /round better than factory loads which doesn’t take much to be honest.

a set is £140 but you still need dies, comparators, bullets, cases, primers . Allow £250-300 set up  to be fair. After that it’s all good and enjoyable.

youll load for about hmr prices 

16 hours ago, squirrel shooter said:

I have a .17 Hornet which is £1.04 to shoot per round factory Hornady v max 20g. It's too expensive to shoot at that price. I've looked at getting a .17WSM but that's £24 for 50 rounds, and that's still to expensive to shoot crows/rabbits ect with. So looked at .17HMR heard a lot of negative on them ammunition wise with split cases. What would your recomendation be? Sell my hornet and variation for a .17HMR or spend the money and reload for the .17 Hornet. Never reloaded before, would i really see a benefit in cost saving and make the .17 hornet worth keeping? Thanks in advance!  Any load data for the .17 Hornet would be greatly appreciated if reloading for it is the way to go. Thanks!

Haven't loaded any for a while but used to reload for around 18p.

Go to Henry Krank. you won't find .17 bullets but put that phrase into the search box and it'll take you to ex HMR (so I'm told) vmax for £5.50/100

https://www.henrykrank.com/catalogsearch/result/?o=.17+bullets&q=17+bullets

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/cases-primers/ppu-brass-cases.html

If you need brass then PPU 22 Hornet brass and reform (not hard to do) for £24.60/100. Only have to do it once, they last a long long time because you don't use much powder.

A pound of powder will last forever because it doesn't take much.

Primers - around £5/100

I love my 17 Hornet. Deadly accurate. Some say affected by wind but I don't shoot at extreme ranges and @ around 3500fps, 1000fps faster than HMR, it's a point and shoot tool and the little 17 pill isn't in the air for long enough to be overly affected by the wind.